JL 12w3v2 or Alpine type R's?

Bronze Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 35
WHICH TO BUY!? They will be in a ported box in the trunk of my car, im looking for quality deep bass and nothing too quiet. Would appreciate input.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3736
please just stay with your other thread, no need for another. but like i said in the other thread, i'd go with the r's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I'm just trying to get opinions from more than 1 person. It's cool.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 6754
type r

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
hmm.. Type R's...... or P3's?

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 166
r's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
lol dang u guys and those R's. Let me ask another thing, when it comes to that deep bass, which sub > all?

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 170
just get the R's and get a good encloser, have logan or someone make u one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
That was my origonal plan, but JL has the reputation and are a little bit more, meaning better overall quality? Or im sure what you guys will say is your paying primarily for the name? I think i am going to make a box myself. I have many plans and have some experience with woodwork.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 4518
type r

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
is everyone just following the first guy? Whats your reasoning?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 5151
It sounds like you have a bigger problem with the R than everyone else has a reason to suggest it. What's YOUR reasoning? J/W

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Like i said before, the price differential and the reputation that JL Audio has over Alpine overall.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 172
i think everyone chooses the R's over the jl's cuz they R's will be louder and for their price they can't be beat. i have 2 r's and i like them alot, and the price point helps that out alot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
If i were to purchase the 2 type R subs, and wanted to build a box myself, how can i figure out the dimensions that will put out the best peformance. I got on the alpine website but that didnt tell me anything. The JL website was great, but I'm not sure the dimensions to make my box.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2333
I had the type R's and the JL's. I liked the type R's better. IMO their better overall and at a great price. and can handle about 500rms. I gave mines 750rms each.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 4530
hear both daily...dub3 getting about 400rms and the type r getting about the same...i liked the type r better

Silver Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 302
Type R's build a ported box that is 1.5-3.25 cuft. That will give you the best performance for the subs.

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 851
DAMN!!! good god JL is not that great, their is stuff that is built better, and sounds better for much less money the W7 is very comparable to a Fi Q which is less than half the price...and is built better and definetly gets louder. i know you are new to car audio and im just trying to inform you that JL is nothing special WHAT SO EVER... now onto your paticular scenario....Type R is built well, has lots of potential to get loud when ported correctly. The W3 is quiet, decent Sq and way overpriced. simply put, i wouldnt buy JL with my own money in any scenario...one of my good freinds has a 13W7 and it beats pretty good and all but my WMD's get much louder. Good luck and please stay away from JL

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2114
the jls are nice sq subs and they can get reasonably loud, but the rs sound just as good and get a little louder....they are cheaper too....

i have 2 10w3v2s in a friends truck, they are doing around 140db burping on 360rms in a 2.5 cuft net box @ 35hz....im gunna throw them ~600rms and hopefully see scores around 142db.

both nice subs, cant really go wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
what frequency did you burp them at 45 hz?? if so, thats a very nice score steven

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2117
44hz

i will retest them soon...when i get my amp back i will take the subs back out of the truck and give them around 600rms from my amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
eff it man, im just getting 1x 12" thunder 9500. Makes the JL sound like a wet noodle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
JL W7 that is.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 531
JL all the way. Yes they handle less wattage but the sound output for that less wattage still is great. If you can handle the price, I would definetly go with the JL's. My cousin had a set of the older R's and he blew them up with a 300 watt Sony amp. They also didn't sound as good as my 12" JLW0's each getting only 15-25 watts. The JL's are more expensive but better. JMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
I have to disagree with John Wheeler because I have been around both subs he has discussed and I have to voice my opinion. I have heard 1 13.5 W7 sound better than two 12" MTX 9500's. Alot of your system comes from install and vehicle so Just pick which one you want and pick the right box that will benefit your vehicle the best. The R's, MTX, and JL's all will sound great but if it was me, I would go with JL. JMO.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3745
type r>w3

have had both in the same vehicle. tried both in single and dual sub setup's, sealed and ported. the only thing the jl had over the r was sq. IF i were to buy one of those subs again it'd be the r. and sounds like your cousin might have clipped those r's to death^^^ i was giving mine about 700wrms each, sometimes' more with no problems at all and they took it daily.

Silver Member

Post Number: 860
ughh......JL is extremely overpriced John. if your willing to buy through the net then im sure the forum could help you get the best setup for the money

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
I don't know what he did but they didn't sound good thats for sure. Do remember though that those R's were the older model and not the most recent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I think im just gonna buy 1 12" MTX 9500 in a custom ported enclosure. Its a little more pricey than 2 alpine type r's that ive looked at but i think the MTX will absolutely pound.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3749
exactly how much you paying for the sub/custom box?

Silver Member
Username: Mike11202

Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 154
TYPE R all day.. their new improved design and structure says it all

check out some videos on ROE

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Im making it myself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »