How to hookup a 2nd batt?

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 832
im ready to wire a second battery so do i just keep the run from amp to front batt and do a run of + to + from the starting batt to the rear batt, and a run of - to - from front to rear batt? OR do i go from amp to rear batt and then wire from the rear batt to the front batt? help me out guys

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1161
+ to + and - to -

Then connect the amp to the rear battery.

BTW, both batteries have to be EXACTLY the same model to do that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 833
well the ones that i would be using are not so what do i do differently?

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1304
^^^ no they dont! they just have to both be either gel cell, dry cell, or wet cell... dont mix and match

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
and i have the batt on the amp running to the front batt, how do i also connect the amp to the rear battery since there is only one slot for battery on my amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 837
like i know i would wire +to+ and -to- on the front to rear batt but u then say to wire the amp to the rear batt and thats what i dont understand

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1162
Justin, yes they do. And even then, it is not an ideal situation. Read:

Scan from the latest issue of CA&E mag:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5112839

Trey, you connect the amp to the battery in the rear. You don't connect it to the front battery since the two batteries are connected.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1163
Trey:

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
thanks man your a big help

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1165
No problem

And I hope justin reads that article before he tells someone else it's ok to run different batteries without an isolator....

Silver Member

Post Number: 839
so for now since i have different batterys would i be better off to just swap out the starting battery?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 1667
I'm running my kinetiks and a standard batt with no isolator and no problem,thanks M.S. Lots of people do it so...I guess an isolator is not ALWAYS needed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 840
ok one last question. in the diagram, i see that it goes from rear batt + to front batt + but its unclear to me what to do with the -?? i thought you said i would go - to - just like the + to + ??

Silver Member
Username: Super_mario

Post Number: 195
CHASSIS GROUND.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1166
" so for now since i have different batteries would i be better off to just swap out the starting battery? "

Yes

" but its unclear to me what to do with the -?? "

Just ground all negatives to the chassis.

Rob, you don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but running different batteries together in parallel without an isolator will cause your batteries to slowly kill each other. I just posted a professionally published article that supports that, and there are others online.

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
i got it dude just went back to BCAE and understood. once again thanks, youve cleared up a ton for me

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
Well,I guess when my batts die in 10 years I'll just have to get some new ones I guess.

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 288
so do you need a HO alternator to hook up a second battery to it?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1167
^^^^^^

Only if the stock alt isn't able to keep the batteries charged, which is usually the case when running more than 1000 watts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
so if i wanna run 1500 watts rms it would be better to get an HO alt then to add a second battery

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1168
Yes. It doesn't matter how much battery capacity you have if your alt can't keep them charged.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
just some story but my local car adio shop is mostly kicker and memphis and there company truck i think a chevey trailblazer had 2 12" memphis mojos in this huge custom built box with i think two memphis 1000 watt amps one for each sub so thats 2000 watts rms and instead of getting an HO alternator or second battery they just ran 3 caps to each amp i heard caps where pointless can you explain why they might have done this and by the way they beat everyone at our towns anual car show

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
Because caps aren't pointless...and you don't need an alternator at all to compete.All you need is enough batteries to support current demands.The only time you may need an alt is when your batts begin to lose voltage.Even when they do a lot of guys hook their batts to a Charger and never use an alt at all.That's something M.S. left out.He seems to know everything though...so eh...A high output alternator is a good idea for a daily driver but for an all out COMP car you don't really need it.Just enough batteries and a nice charger and you're good to go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
call me stupid but i thought the alt was what recharged your battery? are you talking about a seperate charger like the ones you use when your battery dies and you dont have jumper cables you just use the car charger? oh and would i be fine then with hooking up 3 caps to my amp instead of getting an HO alt?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
^I wouldn't hook up caps to support current demands but I would use more batteries in a non daily driver vehicle.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1169
I was talking about daily driving systems. Serious competition is totally different.

And no there is NO substitute for an HO alt. In a D.D. vehicle that is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
i ran 1200 watts rms well they were sopose to be 1200 watts rms at one ohm im not sure if audiopipe amps are over rated or not but the point is i used this amp pushing two 12" L7s for about 3 weeks and besides some slight dimming of my head lights there was nothing wrong so would just adding 300 more watts make a huge diff? and would getting a durabrand lifetime warranty alt be a bad idea? i know they would last long but i could just keep getting a new one because of the lifetime warranty

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1170
Install the system, and play it full blast, while watching your voltage with a DMM. If it drops below 12 volts, you need an HO alt. That is really the only to tell for sure.

Having an inadequate alternator will not only damage the alt but also the subs, since the amp would be clipping when the voltage drops. BTW, with most lifetime warranty parts, they will only replace it once.

As I said before,
There is NO substitute for an HO alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
ok thanks a lot M.S. i apreciate your help and patience

Silver Member

Post Number: 842
hey m.s. what voltage does clipping occur ?? like 11.9?? wat im really asking i guess is when im watching my volt-meter, when should i recognize that i need to turn it down because my volts are dropping too low ??

Silver Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 665
i would say anything under 12v

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 746
wheres the best place to get a 200amp ho alt?

cheap but still relaible...?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1173
Assuming your gain is set correctly and volume is turned all the way up:

For an amp with an unregulated power supply, clipping will occur when the charging system voltage drops below the voltage at which the amp is rated.

For example your amp is rated at say 13.8 volts and your voltage drops to 12.5 volts, it will clip. Or if your amp is rated at 12 volts and your voltage drops to 11.5 volts, same thing.

As a side note, if your amp is rated at 14.4 volts, you can never get the rated power from it with the engine off, since most batteries are 12.5-13.5 volts.

For an amp with a regulated power supply, the amp will never clip due to low voltage. It will simply turn off when the voltage drops below the operating range.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1174
Snarl,

for good quality HO alternators:

www.ohiogen.com

OR

http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1188
bump this

Silver Member

Post Number: 852
so since my massive p3000.1 is rated at 14.4 its clipping even when im at rest ? (13.8) for my vehicle and how much damage will i do, because i typically turn down my system once i go below 12.0. so if my amp is 3k at 14.4 would i be ok running it down to 12 volts?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1190
Sure you can run it at 12 volts. It will only clip when you try to get more power out of it than it's capable of. You would have to get it benched if you wanted to know exactly how much it can do at 12 volts.

What you can't do is turn the volume all the way up with it running at 12 volts, then it would clip, as you are trying to get 3000 watts from it, but it can't produce that much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us