Car wont start............

Bronze Member
Username: Splfreak7564

Michigan

Post Number: 31
ok only when i have my system in, on certain days when i go to start my car it wont start. all my lights come on, deck works, amp etc. i turn the key and sounds like it doesnt want to turn over. only when my subs are in it does this, so anyone got a clue why it does this?

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 71
a man my car did the same thing what is your set up you may be running to much power

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 32
i got two 12 inch P3's and a lanzar 1800 watt amp. subs are wireed to .5 ohm. got a yellow top up front

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 26
check that your battery posts are clean and you might need a new alternator or starter. your amp is drawing too much power before the car even starts so those could be it, or turn your amp down when this happens and see if that helps. maybe keep your deck off when you start the car? :S

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 363
lanzar at .5 ohms? that seems like the problem to me. probably f*ckin everything up

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 364
dual 2 ohm subs? wire them at 2 ohms total load

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 704
Joe, how are you things turning on before the car? Are you first running the battery and decide to start the car later? By having your "subs in," what do you mean?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 48
oleg, i never run the battery then decide to start the car. Maybe ill run the batter for 5 min then shut off the car but then i am only listening to free beer and hot wings in the morning. "subs in " meaning i usally take them out in the winter time cause its pointless to have them in. When my subs are not in my car then my car starts fine everytime, never has the problem i am talking about. Now when i put my subs back in my car in the spring, on certain days it wont start, but i found a reset button in the fuse compartment on my drivers side and pressed it and my car started. I dont know maybe my car is haunted.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 710
try this...i'm assuming you have 2 subs that are 2ohm DVC. Wire them to a 2ohm load, your amp maybe drawing too much current at 0.5ohms. How's your charging system...stock battery and stock alt?

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 49
yes two ROckford P3's dual 2 ohm. I have a yellow top up front and a stock alt

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 712
I've had this happen maybe twice in 6 years, but what happens is the amp does NOT actually turn off when the cars turns off. It's left running and drains the battery - check to ensure it's actually turning off each time. Although, if your accessories work, it may be the starter and you should get your machanic to check it out.

Bronze Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 42
does you amp have a signal sensing switch? the switch is used when you dont run the remote cord to the amp and will keep power running to your amp even when your car is turned off. check this out it could be your problem.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 50
oleg- iam pretty sure that my amp turns off everytime cause i hear it shut off and the green lights turns off also, and my starter i replaced last summer i think so its fairly new.

ivan- i just checked my amp and i have a signal phase and bridged mode switch no signal sensing switch, unless the signal phase is it. it just say 0 and 180 on it.

Bronze Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 80
oleg I thought amps completely cut off when the cd player cuts off because of the remote wire. One time I hooked up 2 computer fans on 2 punch 500a2 when i cut the car and everything off the damn fans wud still run so I tried taking the + off the + that goes to the battey and putting the fan + on the remote wire then the fans would cut off completely when the deck is off so I thought it might be the same with amps

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 715
slab, ideally that's the case, however if anything's wrong, they'd be on just like happened with me.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 101
Im guessin that on the days that you cant start it it has been sitting for longer then the days it starts right up. That would lead me to assume that its a power drain in the system, especially when you can start the car just fine with no subs connected to the amp.

I also assume that when you try and start you're car you dont have music going. cuz if it is going then theres another current draw on the battery, but shouldent cause it not to at least make a good effort on starting up.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 54
steve- "iam guess that on days that you cant start it has been sitting for longer then the days it starts right up" i go to school in the morning then work at night. i went to work at 4 and got out at 9 and my car wouldnt start. My car dosent really sit that long with out starting. i drive it daily. U r correct, i never have my music going when i start my car. i have a pionner deck and you can turn the subs on or off and they are always off when i turn my car off.

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 55
i have my subs wired to .5 ohm but i think this week iam going to take them out and wire them to 2 ohm and see if that makes a difference.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 720
good idea, joe - if it always starts when subs are not hooked up (i.e.: amp's not drawing current), then it's most likely not the starter. Is the amp even stable 0.5ohms?! LOL NO!

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 57
oleg the amp is stable at .5 ohm's. i did a competetion last summer and had two huge spl competitions subs wired at .5 ohm and beat the livin piss out of them. my amp was up all the way and took a lot of abuse and still works fine to this day

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 724
to my full amazement

Bronze Member
Username: Bradddgeezy

Fort Wayne, IN USA

Post Number: 23
WOWWWW.... people these days

Username: Krs_one

Post Number: 3
um u say u hit a reset switch and it would start?? and also what kind and year is the car... im guessing that this is a newer car and on the days it wont start is when you have been bumbing for a min right? well in the comp. of the car its might be getting a singal that there is to much being drawn from the batt. thus making it not want to start until u hit that reset switch try letting it run for a few min w/o running the radio befor you shut it off..

Bronze Member

Michigan

Post Number: 72
car is a 99 grand am se

Bronze Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 11
wanna know a good way to check this...correct me if im wrong( my car did this alot cuz it only had a 65 amp alt.) Start your car up with the battery installed. once the car is started pull the + and - wires from the batteries (assuming your power wire to your amp will stay connected to your batteries + wire). Turn your music up all the way and see if your car dies. If i doesent keep your music turned up and turn on your headlights and whatever else you usually have on. If it dies than that means you alt. isnt big enough to power your amp and eng. components (like fuel inj. or fuel pump) so instead it pulls extra power away from your battery, not leaving you with enough power to start you car the next day.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2844
^^^^ DO NOT EVER DO THAT

Quote from http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

Warning!

Some people tell you that you can check your alternator by disconnecting it from the battery to see if the alternator can produce enough current to keep the engine running. BAD IDEA! Disconnecting the battery will subject the voltage regulator (and computer and audio equipment...) to significant voltage spikes which may cause an otherwise good alternator to fail. Even if there were no damaging spikes, this test would not indicate whether or not the alternator was good because the engine will easily run with a weak or failing alternator.

Simple Test:
If you want to see if your alternator is producing current, turn on your headlights when you're parked and the engine idling with the headlights shining on a wall (at night). Notice how bright they are. Then turn the engine off. The lights should get dimmer when you turn the engine off. If the lights get brighter when you kill the engine, the alternator was not charging sufficiently. When doing this test, the lights should be the only load (turn the stereo, a/c and other accessories off). With a heavy load, an otherwise good alternator may not be able to produce sufficient amounts of current at idle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us