Maxima 2000 radio help

Username: Crawfucious

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,

I have a Nissan Maxima 2000 with a amplified Bose system. The HU is going out and i was looking to replace it with an aftermarket radio (preferably in the price range $150-250). You guys got any suggestions? i would like the radio to play mp3s.

Also, is it possible to just replace the Bose HU? How much of a hassle is this gonna be? I was on autotoys.com and saw that i need the amplified harness, stereo harness, antennae adapter, and dash kit. Is that all i need? You guys got any suggestions about where i should buy these parts? it was 72 after everything at autotoys, is that a rip off?

i would appreciate your input. sorry about all of the questions, good ole Nissan Bose makes it hard on us novice radio guys. also, please dont rip my head off if this is the wrong place to ask these questions. THANKS!

Username: Jpfloder

Post Number: 5
I'm just about in the same boat with you. The Bose factory amp makes it difficult. In fact, that's why I'm takin' it to a pro for the install. If he messes it up, he pays for it. But if you do decide to do it yourself, make sure you integrate the amp the right way.

To the best of my knowledge you only use the front and rear pre-outs running into the amp. The Bose amp splits off the sub from there. I think that's where most people mess up and they run the sub off the 3rd pre-out. Anyway, I'm just gonna pay someone to put it in. But that seems like a good price. The only thing you have to think of is your steering wheel controls (if it came in the 2000). I have an '03 Maxima and I want my wheel hooked into the radio -- yet another reason for the pro install.

I'm doing the same thing you are, though, just getting a new HU. From the research I've done and other feedback, Pioneer and Alpine seem to be the best for I-Pod, but I haven't heard a lot about the Kenwood eXcelon line from people that actually own one...but from their website the X791 or better should be on par. I'd check out those three. From there, it's just the options you want.

Me, I'm probably going with the Kenwood eXcelon, 'cause the Pioneer doesn't offer HD radio and the Alpine only has 2V pre-outs in that price range.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 626
I'd go with the Pioneer Premier 690, if you could spend about 320 shipped upgrade to the Premier 780

690= http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5462

780=http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6982_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P780MP.html

Post Number: 2
thanks guys...i went with the pioneer DEH-P690...i wanted the USB connections. Kenwoods all looked cheap and none of the alpines came with USB (big turn off). Its a shame that pioneer's higher end radios like the 780MP do not come with USB connections.

If anyone visits this thread in the future, I found all of the info that i needed at the following link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=193528

I had to buy the ROEM-NIS2 kit (ebay), Metra car mount, and the antenna adapter (both of amazon).

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4861
In that thread...

quote:

The system feels like it is NOW ready to carry the Bose name on it.

Haha, you'd think by then he would have figured out Bose is trash...

Post Number: 3
yeah if my car was newer, i would replace everything...but as it is (140K miles), i will just hold on to it for a year or two then sell it. I only needed a headunit and i am sure others feel the same way, no sense in installing an awesome sound system for something you're not gonna keep.

If you read later in his post, he did replace everything eventually. He didn't do it in the beginning due to the cost.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4872
Cool. I hope it works out well for you. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us