Need help on buying an amp

Username: Marcooo

Post Number: 1
Hey im lookin to put a system in my car and have already decided to get an Alpine SWX-1242D but i need help on getting an amp and just about everything else. At first i heard about Lanzar and was drawn to their amps because they were labeld as "competition" amps and i found some pretty good deals on them. But then i heard that Lanzar broke easy so now im not sure on what to get (or whether this is true). I know a little about subs but next to nothing about amps. I just want a decent amp with 1500 plus wattage.

The car id be putting this into is a 2002 Ford Escape or possibly a 00-01 Eclispe so if i put it in the Ford would i need to go with a bandpass box since it's an open trunk? If i get an Eclispe i already know what i need box wise but my friend has a van with two 15 inch JBLs and went with a bandpass.

As for the wiring what would be the best to get? I know someone who knows a lot about wiring and the like but i would probably go with pro instalation since i hear almost all wiring problems come from being user installed.

My budget would be about $1000-$1500 depending on when im buying all this and ive found most of the general types of things i need for around 50% off so moneys not really an issue for what im looking for. I plan on entering competitions when i know more about configurations and have a bigger budget so i want to do this right. Sorry about such the long post and thanks for the help.

Oh and this is probably a really dumb queestion but does the Alpine SWX-1242D come as one or two subs? On Alpine's site they show one sub for two or three of their lines (R and S i think) while they show two subs for their type Es and Xs. Sorry but ive looked everywhere and no one says how many it comes with and ive seen almost all dual 12 inch boxes and all my friends either have two or four 12 inch subs.

Thanks again your helps really appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1185
One sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 1186
Mark Fantini

Check this out before you buy.

http://www.audioque.com/aq/index.htm
Ficaraudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4308
i own lanzar and they've some good products but your budget is high so forget about lanzar.

A good system for you would be:

2 FI SSD DVC 2ohm
1 Kicker ZX1500.1

You will be happy

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3716
i'd replace the kicker amp with the sundown saz1500d^^ only cause you could get both around the same price, only the sundown would be brand new with warranty (always a nice thing). then just get dual 1ohm subs. still, that kicker amp is really nice.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a hard time finding the sundown amp and the FI subs online but i think this is what you were talking about juliob

SSD12

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 27.0 Hz | 26.3 Hz
Re: 0.75 Ohms/coil | 1.5 Ohms/coil
Qms: 4.60 | 4.71
Qes: .52 | .49
Qts: .47 | .44
Mms: 192g | 201g
Cms: 0.18mm/N | 0.18mm/N
Sd: 480cm^2 | 480cm^2
Vas: 58.7 l | 58.7 l
Spl: 85.3dB 1W/1m | 85.3dB 1W/1m
Bl: 9.3 N/A | 14.1 N/A
Xmax: 21mm
Rms: 800W
Sealed box: .8-1.6 cuft
Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz
Sub OD: 12.500"
Cut ID: 11.125"
Mounting depth: 6.500"
Displacement: 0.14cuft

Product code: 01912

Price: $ 189.00
*shipping is included

(html link wouldnt work)
As for the Sundown amp the cheapest i could find it for was $600 while i found the Kicker for $465.

If i did get one of these two amps and the subs juliob mentioned or an Alpine what would the deal be with my cars alternator? Im guessing an eclispes would be fine but how far do you think i could push it with a stock Ford?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
Mark Fantini

http://www.low-hz.com/
Call Low-Hz.com and they will ship that Sundown SAZ1500D to your door for around $450.

I have a Sundown SAZ1500D its a badazz amp you will be very happy with that amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1137
" Im guessing an eclispes would be fine but how far do you think i could push it with a stock Ford? "

Other way around, most domestics have a little bigger alternators than imports. Aftermarket alternators are also cheaper for them.

And yes, you most likely will need to upgrade your alt when running 1600+ watts, regardless of the vehicle.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help Joey that Sundown looks like what ill be getting.

About how much would a decent alternator cost?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1203
Great choice

What subs did you decide on?

Post Number: 5
Still undecided since juliob didnt confirm that those where the subs he was talking about (looked like real nice subs anyways) and im still pretty set on an Alpine type x even if i could only afford one at first.

Post Number: 6
BUMP

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 155
yup those were the subs juliob was talkin about. that would be a solid system.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 834
those were the subs he was talking about, i have some, and love them. nice drivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 46
i have to say i think the JL 1000/1 is a great amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1227
JL 1000/1 is a great amp but for the price no way.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 839
^^ i agree with joey, its insane wat they want for their amps. i can get twice the power for that kinda money. i priced a jl amp for my comps it was like 700 bucks alone, i liked dry heaved wen i heard that sh!t. bottom line is listen to joey on this one. lol

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11106
many here would also adavise against the type X - power hungry sub that overpriced

look back @ FI subs - top of the line stuff @ a great price ......

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 840
^^x2. i fi stuff is pretty salty

Post Number: 7
Hmm definetly sounds like FIs the way to go, what line would you say gets you the best performance for the price (12 inch).

Post Number: 8
BUMP

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3733
best performance? i'd say they would all perform well given proper power, depending how much you want to run, and if you want more sq or spl.

Post Number: 9
I'd say sq over spl but i still want it to be loud as hell lol

Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 2
listen man the best thing to do is to not spend too much money on a brand new system that will give out too much bass, i say this this for two reasons, 1)if you have too much bass then your car will need to adapted to withstand the immense vibration, no this is assuming you go to competition grade subs and 2)buyin the biggest and best also means you have to power it and most likely the car battery and alternator won't be able to power, i've just gone through this with my own sounds so think about it cos u may end up paying a heck of a lot more just getting additional equipment and wiring for the system

Post Number: 10
Yea i know that and that's why i was wondering if anyone knew how much a decent alternator for a Ford would cost?

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 850
iraggi has a store on ebay, check it out for alts

Username: Luvbass

To, Ca United states

Post Number: 7
local shops rework alternators, dont waste money on a new one, go to costco and get a optima yellowtop, run around 180 for the biggest one, 800 crankin amps i think, deep cycle... its a beast well anyway jus go to local auto shop and ask where u can get ur alt upgraded, dont go to a major chain like midas,jiffy lube, etc... mom and pop are more friendly 100% of the time
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us