Radio cuts off when I turn it up

Username: Larry6906

Post Number: 1
I just installed my first radio nothing special,anyway when I turn up my volume it cuts off then comes back on. I can't the the wiring diagram either, it a 1988 ford Taurus. Please help I'm getting frustrated benn at it since yesterday.

Post Number: 2
by the way it's only a radio and speakers nothing else

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2285
could be a bad ground on the HU, one of the speakers is bad, or out of phase with the rest. Speaker wire shorting, Bad internal amp on HU.. What HU? Stock speakers?

Post Number: 4
what is a HU? Not stock speakers. I just took the speakers and radio out of another car and was working just fine til I put it in this car.As far as speaker wiring shorting well I don't know. I did have trouble finding out which one was pos and neg. I had an installer tell me the wire that ran along the clip on the stock speakers was positive so that's what I did.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2288
HU = (head unit) or (radio).
Sounds like a speaker phase problem then. You will need to hook all speakers up the same way. Forget color, If each pair has one solid and one striped wire, make all the striped ones the negitve, all the solids the positive. Make sure they start at the hu as far as + out to + speaker. ect.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 367
does it get really hot?

Post Number: 5
No it does not get hot at all.

Post Number: 6
Marc- all my speaker wires are striped and all different colors. I do have the paper work for the HU so I guess I can figure out what is positive on the HU as far as the speakers I'm at a loss. I do know that the wire harness I bought was not right so I eneded up cutting the on off that runs all the power. Yes I know that was a huge mistake. so no I'm trying to figure what wire is what for that but I'm only dealing with four and I know how to figure the constant and ignition as soon as I get the light tester. As far as the speakers I still have that harness on. I did not think my speakers were the problem of it cutting off. I though it had to do with power that's why I cut them.But now that you have mention the speakers when the factor speakers were in the car still the HU did not cut out.AS soon as I put my nw speakers in that's when it started but I did not catch it til you said that thank you. Now I just have to figure out the speaker wires I really wish I had a wiring diagram. I did do all the speakers the same as far as I made the wire of the clip side of the factor speaker clip positive. I could go and switch them the other way. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 9
Ok I just learned that I did hook everything correctly. However I have a short in the car somewhere. My headlight flicker as well as dash lights. When I turn on my head lights the HU shuts off. Thanks for all your help.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4855
Wires that are out of polarity aren't going to cause a head unit to turn off when it is turned up too loud, and, honestly, really doesn't matter that much.

Larry, the problem almost definitely sounds like a power wire problem. Most likely, you hooked up the illumination wire to the car stereo. With most aftermarket car stereos, the illumination wire should not be hooked up.

Post Number: 10
I learned where my short was that was causing my HU to cut off. Are you ready? My antenna was not connected all the way. Is that crazy or what.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us