Bridging my 4 channel amp to 1 or 2 channels

Username: Johnboy44837

Greenwich, Oh Usa

Post Number: 1
how do i brdge my 4 channel 1600 watt amp to one or 2 channels one would be great but will settle for 2 channel please help

Username: Beatitdown

Post Number: 3
dont do it yourself if youre not sure.bridgning is good but has disadvantages.if you dont have the proper guage wiring you could overheat your amp. also, if you dont kno anything about rms dealing with your subs and amp then you could blow either one

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2284
wow, you make bridging sound like rocket science.

Bridging is take the + from channel 1, and - from channel 2. If its a 4 channel, you can get 2 channels out of it bridged. What amp is it? some have switches, some have diagrams on em too. also some are 4 ohm when bridged, others 2 ohms.
Give model numbers of subs (speakers) and amp to get a detailed idea on what way to do it.
And wire size has nothing to do with it. if it runs good unbridged, then it will run fine bridged on the same size wire.

Bronze Member
Username: Nascarfan

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 37
Hello im having problems as well Im trying to go from 4 channels to 2 channels on my
Alpine MRV-F540 Im going to run 2 front door and 2 rear door 4ohm rockford fosgate fanatics, I just want to get the maximun wattage out of these speakers. Please Help..Thanks

Key Features
Amplifier Type Multi Channels
Bridgable Bridgable
Full Specifications
Channels Amplifier Type Multi Channel
Amplifier Output 4-channel
Input Channel Qty 4
Output Channel Qty 4

Power RMS Power 50 Watts x 4
Peak Power 150 Watts x 4
Output Details 50 Watt - 4 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 12V DC - 4 channel(s), 70 Watt - 2 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.3% - 12V DC - 4 channel(s), 140 Watt - 4 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.3% - 12V DC - 2 channel(s), 80 Watt - 4 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.08% - 14.4V DC - 4 channel(s), 100 Watt - 2 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.3% - 14.4V DC - 4 channel(s), 200 Watt - 4 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.3% - 14.4V DC - 2 channel(s)
Input Signal Voltage 0.2 - 4V
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.3%, 0.3%, 0.3%, 0.3%, 0.08%, 0.08%

Features High Pass Frequencies 15 - 8000 Hz
Mid Pass Frequencies 15 - 8000 Hz
Low Pass Frequencies 15 - 8000 Hz
Response Bandwidth 10 - 50000 Hz
Crossover Slope 12 dB/octave
High Level Inputs Yes
Phase Selector Yes
Soft Start Yes

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 663
You'll need to bridge channels 1+2 and 3+4, but each bridge will need to see a 4ohm load - so either 2 SVC 4ohm subs or 2 DVC 2ohm subs (coils wired in series).

Bronze Member

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 38
On this particular amp there will be no subwoofers, I will be running a seperate amp for those. could you please show me a diagram of the wireing and will I need to change a switch setting on my amplifier? right now I have each speaker wired to its own channel. the front speaker are componets which are running through a crossover back to the amp the rear doors are just coaxial.Also when wireing like you are talking about , will I lood front to rear fade or left to right fade?
Thanks Chris

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2287
Cris T, You should start your own thread, instead of Hyjacking this one.
So you have 4 speakers, and a 4 channel amp.
Right now your seeing ~80 watts each speaker. If you bridge it you can run 2 speakers at ~ 100 each
Your better off leaving it the way it is.
If you want more power, get a bigger amp.

Output Details
50 Wattx4@ 4 Ohm 12V DC
70 Wattx4@ 2 Ohm 12V DC
140 Wattx2@ 4 Ohm 12V DC
80 Wattx4@ 4 Ohm 14.4V DC
100 Wattx4@ 2 Ohm 14.4V DC
200 Wattx2@ 4 Ohm 14.4V DC

Bronze Member

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 40
Sorry it wasnt my intentions to hijack any thread, I just thought that my question was along the same lines and the original poster, and that the answer he was looking for would eventually come out. So with that being said,
the term "bridged means that i need to take both front speakers and tie both + together and
both - together and attach them to say channel 1 and do the same for the rear speakers and put them on like channel 3? by doing this , this would give me 4ohm load? i want to be able to run fronts and backs @ 2ohm load. I believe my amp can handle this, my alternator put out a constant 14v with no problems. I guess I just need someone to draw a quick diagram so i can see it. Again sorry Jonathan for hijacking the thread.
Thanks Chris

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1608
No.

In order for you to be able to safely bridge any amp into a 2 ohm load it must first be stable into a 1 ohm load unbridged.

That amp ain't.

-Fishy

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 11044
what i have noticed that with most 4chan amps is that when u bridge either pair of channels (1\2 or 3\4) - it becomes 4ohms stable & NOT 2ohms stable so read the manual & be careful not to fry ur amp.....

Bronze Member

Tallahassee, Florida

Post Number: 41
ok well i have decided not to perform this action, Ill just turn the gains up for now...lol
I can see already, that im going to need a new set of speakers, cause these fanatics cant seem to handle what im putting to them right now, one of them is already popping at half volume, Im thinking about getting the S600s componets or a pair of CDT's and maybe someone will have a suggestion as to what amp would be good to push 4 speakers to their limits safely..
Thanks chris

Username: Johnboy44837

Greenwich, Oh Usa

Post Number: 2
So I went out and messed with my amp and you were right bridging really aint rocket science so instead of each of my 12's pushing just 400 a peice they are now pushing 800 thank you all very much for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 664
lol no it isn't
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us