"Breaking in Subs"

Bronze Member
Username: Splsq

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 81
ok well last night i just hooked up 2 12inch L5s and do i have to break them or is all that just a myth.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 1969
ummmm, im not sue on if the damage part is true, but from what i noticed with my new DD's they sound cleaner and get a bit louder after breaking them in for a while

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 118
breaking them in you dont have to do but it helps it get louder and sound better but it does make sense that it would im to lazy to explain y but im sure someone else will

Username: Imi4tth3w

Texas

Post Number: 8
does just having them installed and using them over time break them in?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 11467
just go easy for a few days. then just let it rip.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 1978
dont go above the reccommended rms for the first 3-4hours of wangin

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 132
turn gain 1/4 thw way up then u would i did mine 4 9 hrs but subs are all different just do it for a couple of days it mite sux but it will pay off 4-6 hours

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3688
l5's id break them in cause if there to stiff they get easy stress cracks in the cone on the square subs

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1170
Better to be safe than sorry.

Bronze Member
Username: Splsq

Chesterland , Ohio USA

Post Number: 83
ok thanx

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11679
with subs, the break-in period is used to loosen up the moving parts of the speaker and get it sounding more natural, as often with new speakers, the stiffer moving parts make them sound really awful till the break-in period is over. This is why spekers have a break-in period, and not to prevent damage.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3909
^^thank you! iv been saying this for some time but these thread still seem to pop up

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2565
With the spider(s) new and stiff it can cause heat to build due to the extra power needed to move it to the desired level. This is the same as putting strain on a motor, in general heat is the by-product. I like to actually take my finger tips and gently push in on the spider(s), you will hear this starchy fabric crackle going on. Doing this and limiting the power for a couple days can go a long way. On cheaper low power subs it don't matter because of the lack of real suspensions. Also remember with the spider(s) being stiff it cuts down on the sensitivity of that driver and will use power like an H2, lol. JMHO... Polo.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11687
perhaps, but if your amplifier is within the thermal limits stated for the sub, you're still not going to excede those limits, thus the sub won't be damaged by the requirement of a bit more power with the stiffer spider..
you can only use the power you have at your disposal, which is why speakers have thermal power handling maximums at a part of their stated specs, and why exceding those limits, isn't very bright.

Username: Bassboyhighlighted

Post Number: 3
when i got my system i kept it at 20 with the bass at the normal rate for a couple of weeks, then after that i started setting off car alarms

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 2285
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/MDW1966/?action=view&current=cd2.flv

Username: Bassboyhighlighted

Post Number: 6
nice

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11698
after that break-in period, the sub(s) should have sounded more natural, since the spiders were broken in and loosened up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us