Sealing off sub from trunk

Bronze Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 32
Well tomorrow I will be putting my box and amps in and I was wondering what to use to seal my box off from the trunk. My sub is firing into the cab. I'm going to make side pieces so it looks like a wall. But I need to know what kind of substance I could use to make a good seal. Or is this even necessary? I was told to use expanding foam spray but I was unsure if the vibrations would mess the seal of the foam up (or even if the foam would stick to the carpet of my trunk and box). Can anyone give me any information on this?

Bronze Member
Username: Rob1083

Post Number: 72
do u want to do this for looks or r u talkin about sound qulaity?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Sound quality. I heard it would sound better if it was completly sealed off from trunk (as in using some type of foam or sealant). Is this true?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
i don't see why it would be apart from your trunk rattling. most ppl put there subs in there trunk or just setting in there suv so i don't see what the difference would be . but wait for some of the other guys to give there opinion. b/c i'm not positive

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I just heard it sounds better if you seal it off with a sealent if your sub is firing into cab. I really just want to know if its worth the effort and if it is what substance should I use.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
in my opinion, no it wouldn't be worth the effort

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 2194
just wondering Nick, why firing into the cab...most cars sound better with the subs firing towards the back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Either way its probably 128kbs, so there is no quality difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
wrong topic for last post...lol

and to answer your question, i dont have any room in the back for the sub to have excursion. The box takes up my whole trunk. So if i fire into cab, i will have a little room from the sub to back of seats.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
whats kbs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
kilobytes per second...basicaly the quality of a song. The most common quality is 128kbs. The less amou of kbs, the less quality of a song. But I posted that in the wrong topic. Man I really need to find out if this sealing is worth it in the next couple of minutes, bout to go to bed and gonna start on it early tomorrow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
i don't think that kind of quality applies to loud speakers. at least i've never heard it. did u already build ur box if so is it sealed or or ported and it it made to manufacturers specs. and what kind of speakers do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1243
yes seal it off.... point in in... put something down like tape or something on the carpet so if u take it out it wont stick to the carpet. use spray foam like "great stuff" they sell it at walmart for like 4 bux prolly take 2 cans

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Justin, will it mess up the seal off if I seal it difrectly from box to side of trunk? And from top of box difrectly to the metal top of my trunk?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
justin does that make it sound alot better or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1244
nah as long as u dont have any opening it will work i was just sayin.. i did this to my car and it made it look like crap especially when i took the box out so i would put something down so it doesnt stick to the car

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Justin is it needed for sound quailty? Or is it just as good to make the side pieces a good fit?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
bump, im off to sleep. but if anyone knows about this please post :-(

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2105
i dont think there is a difference in sq with sub forward or sub back, sealed off or not....the difference in these will be SPL, not sq.

most likely it will be louder if you seal off trunk with sub faced in, than if its pointed back with no seal >>>less airspace in vehicle.

either that or u can always face the sub in w/o sealing off and just open the trunk when burping

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
my seats are going to be down basically all the time. So you say sealing it off will be louder than not seling it off? Also, My seats will be up sometimes, will this be bad becuase that means i will not have much airspace between my sun and my seat since it's sealed off from trunk.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1544
If you're going to use a type of foam such as Great Stuff make sure you put a coating of something over the great stuff because that is like a sponge for air.It WOULD also improve your SQ for sure,reason being is because you won't hear anything rattling in the trunk anymore if you did previously and the bass might not sound as distant or faded due to obstructions in the air flow's path.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Put a coating of what over the great stuff?

Username: Imi4tth3w

Texas

Post Number: 7
so for sq you want to seal everything but for sql you want the maximum amount of airspace travel between the trunk and the cabin right? cause that what i was aiming for i have a huge port between my trunk and cabin and it sounds 100000 times better (louder i mean haha)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1245
for the coating just put resin on it.... but be careful w/ this... if u ever want to take it out its going to be a b!tch

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
I'm not gong to be able to take my box out without completely destroying it. I have to put it together in my trunk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
wow u must have a car w/ a small trunk opening

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2561
You are reducing the amount of compressable air within the cabin, allows for a higher DB with less power. Honestly it is well worth doing. I am in the middle of sealing it off just from me facing inward, using soft foam sheets i sealed it off from the trunk and it sounds great. There is no pressure inside my trunk anymore so there isn't any trunk rattle. I have also noticed that is separates the frontwave from the back wave so more energy is applied to the music than wasted in cancellation. Now here is the kicker, it needs to be sealed off 100% for it to be affective. You need to act like you are trying to suffocate the rat in the trunk, lol. Get an enclosure that fits snuggly then use expanding foam. The foam is trimmable so don't worry if it expands a lot, just cut it down and seal off with resin and maybe some fiberglass cloth. Keep us posted and maybe some pics so we can get some idea what ya doing. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
I just hope my box isn't too big. Drivinreckless designed it and I trust him. But if I put all this in, and it sounds like crap, it ain't coming out easy at all. I would feel better if I can get someone to decond opioion my box demensions like Logan or someone that knows their stuff
Upload
Upload

and this is for a 15" FI SSD

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2564
How low if the tuning on that thing? You would get more out of it tuned between 35-38hz JMHO..Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
tuned to 31 hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
is that bad? Or do I need to tune it a little higher?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5012
just a quick note ad ive said this a couple times before on his forum since ive been here ....use fiberfill...it will make the subwooferplay as if its in alarger bo than it actually is....then ou can downsize the box and make it easier to remove ...ill post the website next post

Gold Member

Post Number: 5014
Read it real life application

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2567
Polyfill is old news and you don't use it in ported boxes unless it is in sheet form and stapled to the walls. Here is what you do, figure out what the lowest frequency you want to hit and the highest. Now try to tune a tad lower than the mid point, you can always add midbass to help compensate for the upper end. I have found that 35-41hz to be the sweetspot, it will still drop very low (20's) and cover the upper (65-100hz). This will also depend on sub of course...Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5016
it was to be understood that it would be in sheet form for ported boxes because how else would he have done it with ported.....I just wanted to present it as a way to make the box size smaller since he was worried about it fitting or being able to be removed if needed

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2569
Actually unless you can get enough in the box to slow the air down within it would not work, that is why for that application it would work for a sealed enclosure, which this isn't. The reason they use it in ported is for dampening purposes only and to break up standing waves. Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2246
RE8's like a ported box, and dont get sealed into the trunk, and ..they are the shiznit!! lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Hey polo, what would i do do my box to tune it to 33 hz or somehwere around there, I know i would add another sheet of something in the port, but how much? If you have an instant messenger, we can discuss it if you want.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2570
Honestly Nick, try it you may like it. If you don't sell it and have another built but stick with the same sub. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Rofl I wont be able to sell this box after I put it in, Because in order to take it out, I'm going to have to destroy the box lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2273
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/MDW1966/?action=view&current=cd2.flv

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2572
Not true, you don't have to permanently mount it to get an idea. Just use old towels, blankets, etc to seal it off and see if you like. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
But polo, that would mean screwing the sub in, testing it, then if i like it i have to unscrew it, put it in trunk, then screw the sub BACK in. Would'nt that cause air leaks?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2579
Man you are only installing it into the box. you don't need to screw any more holes other than for the sub, won't hurt a thing..Polo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us