Old amps with no subsonic filter

Bronze Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 68
I used to have 2 old school punch 500a2 on 4 12's man those were the days of my life! Buy I'm wondering since I got 2 S15L7 in a ported box and I put a 800a2 or a 500a2 on each sub, which has no subsonic filter is it go sound like sh t? When going ported is subsonic filter on amps required?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1054
The subsonic filter is used to filter out frequencies below the tuning of your box, which will damage the sub if not filtered. You should be able to find a crossover with a subsonic filter, and use that if the amp doesn't have one.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11671
what he said.
in short, the subsonic filter prevents a sub from "unloading" when it drops below the tuned frequency of a ported or bandpass box.
the filter protects the speaker from damage.
you can get an Fmod external RCA level SSF if the amp lacks this feature.

Bronze Member
Username: Dj_007

Carlisle, KY US

Post Number: 71
yeah some of the new crossovers by audio control i knwo of have a sub sonic level control that you can use and external crossover to do that

Username: Crossfired

Post Number: 2
Wont blow your woofers without one but your amp will work harder on a bunch of lower stuff you cant hear. Amps can run hotter as well. better to use one if you can. I ran systems loud for years and never blew any woofers. I still dont have any subsonic filter with my 5 year old amps I'm using now.

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 106
Crossfired what type of box are ur subs in?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1201
It will damage the subs if frequencies below the tuning of the box are not filtered. That's with a ported box. With a sealed box it doesn't matter.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11764
you sure as sh*t will blow the subs running in a ported box with no subsonic filter.
once the subs unload, it's just like playing them with no box at all.
there's literally no more suspension, or resistance behind the sub, to act as a spring, so the sub over-excurts, and rips the motor structure apart.

Don't believe me?
build a 6th order box some time, and make sure you miscalculate a chamber volume a little, then send the sub an ample amount of power and learn what unloading means first hand.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us