Best head unit for ipods

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perres, California

Post Number: 1993
i kno there are some companies making their head units for ipods now but which one makes you navigate through all the songs with ease? wut brand? wut model?

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 407
All of the new Alpine units (2006 and up) use the Alpine interface cable and it's probably the best and least expensive direct control iPod option right now. I still don't like the interface on ANY of the direct iPod connection systems out there, so I just use AUX-in but that's just me.

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 1994
ok well are there any older models that can use the alpine interface cable that aren't on the new 07 alpines on this page?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/series.php?category=AV_HU

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3877
i think controlling the ipod threw the HU sucks.

just hook it up threw RCAs

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 408
No. Is budget the issue?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2230
A lot of the new Kenwoods with the USB port.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KDC-X591-eXcelon-USB-CD-AAC-MP3-Receiver-NEW_W0QQite mZ250096610212QQcategoryZ39751QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But you need this cable too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-iPod-High-Speed-USB-Cable-for-KDC-X591-KDC-X791_W0QQ itemZ300092605420QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 1996
no, budget is not the issue..im just sayin if there are any 2006 models that use the alpine interface cable so i can get one used....its cuz im not sure wut model it is.....i cant find the 06 models on the alpine website thats why

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 1997
no, budget is not the issue..im just sayin if there are any 2006 models that use the alpine interface cable so i can get one used....its cuz im not sure wut model it is.....i cant find the 06 models on the alpine website thats why......and no i dont want no kenwood kenwood sucks how the f*ck r u gona compare a kenwood to an alpine? lol

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 1998
bump

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 1999
wtf it wont bump

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 2000
buuuuuummmmmmmpppppp

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 2003
bump!

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 409
That Alpine link you posted is not just the '07 models, or at least not just the ones that were released this year, that's probably just the current lineup they offer. I know the 9856, 9857, and 9852 have been out since last year (probably a few of the others as well) so you can probably find those used all over the place.

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 410
I also want to say that upper level Kenwood units are really nice. I run a Kenwood DVD HU and love it. Their higher end Excelon line is amazing. I still wouldn't use their old interface though (with the breakout box) but I haven't tried their new cable. I had the KCA-ip500 unit for about a week and then brought it back becuase it tended to lag and didn't always display things right. Maybe if it was a little chaper it'd be worth it. I'm interested to know how well the USB cable works, even though I can't use it with my screen. Like I said earlier and Mat backed me up on, direct iPod connections tend to be more of a hastle in a lot of ways and I just like how the controls on my iPod are set up so using the Aux-in instead just makes more sense to me.

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 2004
oh i guess thanx darek...well i just dont like kenwooods anyway sorry...but just to see them where can i see the 06 models?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 411
The current Kenwood lineup is here, but that'll probably be the '06 and '07 decks. From the MP435U and up you get the USB port.

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 2008
i have another question..wen u connect the ipod to the new alpines that use the alpine interface cable you can only control it through the head unit? or u could still use the ipod including the head unit?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 412
As far as I know, like pretty much all the iPod interface cables and boxes out there, the Alpine cable does indeed lock the iPod when you plug it in so you have to control it through the HU.

Gold Member

Perres, California

Post Number: 2010
wut about the pioneers that use the ipod cable too? do u control the songs through the head unit or the ipod or both?

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 413
The Pioneer cable is new to the '07 Pioneer decks, but yes, it also locks the iPod when it's plugged in. As far as I know, there's not an interface that allows for deck controls AND control on the iPod itself.

If I was buying a new budget/midrange HU right now I'd probably go with the DEH-P590ib since it comes with the iPod cable. From what I've heard so far the Pioneer cable is on par with the Alpine, they're just behind by a few months in terms of sales and feedback.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2271
The Kenwood KDC-X991 USB direct control for Ipod. Plus it has an internal hard drive so you can rip cd right into it. or rip from thumbdrives.

http://12volt.com/12voltonline2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=399&It emid=32

Silver Member

Vermont

Post Number: 414
The KDC-X991 does look like an awesome deck but it's not out yet and it's gonna be $650.

I think the best thing with any of these options is to track them down in a store and try them for yourself. A lot of the ease of interface, regardless of how fast, is going to be dependant on what you want/need/like.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2276
Good advice^^^ grab your ipod, hit the stores and play with the things.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us