8ga. speaker wire

Bronze Member
Username: Oaktowncrazyd

East Oakland, CA

Post Number: 39
do u guys think it would be a big difference upgrading from 10ga. speaker wire to 8ga.? and its a JL 1000/1 going to a 13W7, is it worth the trouble changing it out?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3844
no

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6017
Don't mistake the speaker output terminals with power input. The speakers are NOT a high current device. Sometimes you get a shock cause of voltage, not current. Therefore, you can have 0gauge wires and it'll make no difference to your ears. Think of house hold devices. Notice how thin the wires are compared to car amp's power wires?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1570
No.

As long as the runs are fairly short you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between 10 gauge and 24 gauge even.

I run 12 gauge to my subs. It's readily available, gives me plenty "peace of mind", but mainly it just looks good.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Oaktowncrazyd

East Oakland, CA

Post Number: 42
thanx guys i'll just stick to the 10ga.

Username: Bradddgeezy

Fort Wayne, IN USA

Post Number: 2
No I don't think it will make that much of a difference. But if your trying to get it louder.. a possible solution is to make your speaker cables as short as possible....don't have a lot of wire just left sitting... good luck maneeee

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11726
10AWG is honestly more than you need, but it looks nice. No reason to go up to a larger size.
Remember, speaker wire carries high voltage AC, which doesn't build heat the way high current DC oltage does. That's why your 1000/1 needs at least 4AWG or larger cable for power (depending on the length of the run) and the speaker wire is fine at 10AWG.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us