Questions on Box Painting

Bronze Member
Username: Jgelp7

New Orleans

Post Number: 87
let me start by saying this forum has a mind of its own. I wrote out this thread hours ago and it seems to have never posted.

I have a wangin Fi SSD and a zx750.1. I've decided to buld a 4.0 cuft box tuned to 33hz. The sub will be firing up. Demensions : 36 wide x 17 tall x 19.75 deep.
To start my questions,
1. Should I brace the box, and how or with what?

secondly, I want to paint the box, black. I want it to look nice, not like I colored it with a sharpie or just quickly threw some old paint on.
Which leads me to
2. What kind of paint should be used, anything special?
3. Should I use primer before or some kind of finish after?
4. Should I paint the port after the box is assembled or before putting the last side on?
and finally,
This is my first system and first box build. Are there any secrets or tips that you guys have? I know its a long thread, but I need some help and just image having write it all twice

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 90
not to hijack my own thread, but an OT question. None of my friends have heard of Fi and when I tell them I'm never sure if I'm saying it right, so is it Fi as in:
Fi, Figh, Fo, Fum or
Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum ???

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio has got m...

Post Number: 1189
it is pronounced "figh"...

Bronze Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 94
Spray paint it and then throw some glitter on it before it dries to make it look pretty.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 4315
its pronounced figh...like tremor said...but personally, i like "F" "I" better...proounced saying both seperate letters...but thats just me

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 91
i dont think id like the glitter

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

I WILL be 15 Wangin

Post Number: 377
wrap it in blue suede..btw...i wanna see a vid when you get it, cuz im gettin the same setup!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4030
if you want to paint it and have it look really nice you have to go the extra mile. sand it down real good....oh and make sure you contersunk your screws and filled in the holes. then go to lowes and pick up a little paint roller ($2.88) roll on fiberglass resin and let it dry. use a DA sander to sand it real flat. then use a wall sander and go up in grit, 100, 220, 400. now use some primer... sand it down again with 400, and paint. you can get pretty decent results with a rattle can. use gloss paint, and then put a few coats of clear coat after it. ... if you want a much easier but not as good route... i would sand the box dwn well... primer it, sand a little, and then paint it. oh and paint the port before assembly.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1137
get up with kickerlivinloud from j degigns.info he seems to know what he's doing with that

Silver Member
Username: Blazerboy

Post Number: 441
Yea, it is Figh not Fi, but as you guys said, I also like, and will always call it Fi.

I used spraypaint for spraypainting my port, but the rest of my box is carpeted. I would spend teh extra money and get the best paint so it will not run or fade.

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 92
thanks for the suggestions Trevor. I think I'll probably sand, prime, sand, paint, and clear coat.

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 93
Ok, so bracing? should I?

And about how far from the edges would my sub cutout be?

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

I WILL be 15 Wangin

Post Number: 380
2 inches

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 97
Should I have enough room for a 15" sub cutout on the top of this box?
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=36&Eh=17&Dia=9&Xmax=21&Vd= .17&NumW=1&Vb=4.0&Fb=33&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0
Where are the forum box builders?

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 6483
Yes you will have enough room. Also, you do not need to brace that box. The port will do it enough bracing.

Bronze Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 100
Box is almost done. I just need to caulk all the inside and screw/glue the top on.

Anyone know how to wire a Dual 1 sub to 2ohm? Should I get a terminal cup? How do I connect speaker wire to the sub and terminal cup?

Silver Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 105
sorry that my Box "Painting" thread has become more of my general box qustion thread, but I have one more.

When mounting my sub in the cutout of the box, should I just screw it in or do I need to pre-drill holes and then screw it in? I have 3/4" panhead screws, is that good?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 4216
trevor u gots aim???

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

My 1 12 Atom...

Post Number: 10983
if only i had seen ur thread earlier

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

also www.the12volt.com

& www.bcae1.com has box building & finishing touches sections .......

Silver Member

New Orleans

Post Number: 108
I can't get the 12volt.com to work, and bcae1.com brings me to google for some reason.

Well quick questions I have are
to pre drill holes before moutning sub? I think yes.
To use 3/4" panhead screws to mount sub? I think yes again.

And then when wiring sub to 2ohm load, the 12 gauge wire ofcourse has 2 wires within, I'm guessing I use one wire to connect to positive and then the other to negative? or do I jam both wires in the holes of the pos/neg?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us