Need knowledgeable opinions please!

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 497
I have one JL Audio 15W3-D4 version 1 and one JL Audio 15W3-D4 version 2 and I need an amp. One sub is 400 watts RMS and the other is 500 watts RMS. The 400 watt RMS sub is an older sub and is the version 1 sub and is used but the version 2 (500 watt RMS sub) is brand new. What amp should I get, or would be good, to run these subs at 1 ohm? What wattage should I go with? Any suggestions accepted, including enclosure type, size, tuning, position, etc. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 4019
dont use both. pick one. the 15w3s can get REAL loud with the right install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 498
I want to use both even if its loud enough with one. Thanks for suggestion tho.

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
anyone else?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3788
i dont know how dead set you are on useing both but you might want to get another new one and sell the old one. or maybe look at an alpine pdx 1000 whatever they are i think its 1000@1ohm

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2525
The biggest reason why you don't want to run both is because they are NOT a matched set. It would be like running two different subs. Now if you really have to you need two separate sealed enclosures or two separate ported but the ported may have some cancellation problems, be sure all are in phase when doing this. If I was you I would e-bay the lot and get one nice sub, JMHO...Polo. :-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9622
agreed with Polo^

Silver Member

Post Number: 500
I would like to use one of each to get the perks of both versions and have a nice sq setup. I can't find another version 2 that is brand new, I bought the only new one I could find. I just want to stick with what I have and stated in first post. Thanks for suggestions.
Oh yeah, I will also be using a PG Tantrum series TBASSCUBE in this system if that will sway your amp choice.

Anyone else?

Silver Member

Post Number: 501
The subs recommended enclosure size is very similar/close if not the same if that matters.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6012
Why don't you use JL 500/1 amp? Someone on here was selling it cheap.
If you do a well designed box for v2, then you won't need the other one.
If your setup is for everyday driving, then 500w rms is enough. If you don't believe me, go see a JL demo of 10W7 in a HO box (500w rms).

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
I just checked, they are exactly the same, the only difference is the wattage. I was thinking of just getting a 800 watt RMS amp and be done with it. They both have a recommended ported enclosure size of 3.5 cu.ft. or 99.1L and a recommended sealed enclosure size of 2.125 cu.ft. or 60.2L.

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 819
I agree with just setting up one sub. Two different subs can end up sounding really bad.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9630
they are both the ones with the JL on the cones right? they are the same subs, I was thinking they were the w3v2 and the w3v3 which switched to the inverted dust cap and new motor design. You will be fine running them both, no problems at all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
The purpose of this system is to have better sound quality than the pioneer premiers I have while using less watts and not sacrificing too much loudness. I had the version 1 from a past install and just picked up the v2. I know they arent a match but this system isnt for show. It is for everyday use and still want it loud but with better sq and using less power. I am currently running about 2000 watts RMS give or take. This new system shouldn't need to go over 1000. I will use the both subs. What is a good 800 watt RMS amp at 1 ohm?

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9632
yes that will be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3794
woofer ect i think has a good deal on a 1000rms memphis amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
That makes more sense James Longo. Yes, they are basically the same besides the wattage.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9634
exactly. They redid the w6's that year but left the w3's the same just vented them differently I believe so it got a new version when they are in fact the same subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
So you think I should go with 1000 watts even tho the one sub is 400 watts RMS? Yes, Memphis amps are good and I will think about it. Thanks Mat Dope*****

But what should the wattage be? Will the "used" version one be able to handle an extra 100 watts if I go with 1000?

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9635
yes as long as you don't beat on it with bass boost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
Even or what about the TBASSCUBE?

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
So what amp should I get, the Memphis or what? What about the TBASSCUBE?

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Rob1083

Post Number: 26
i haven't used too many amps but if u don't want to spend alot i bought my hifonics 1200.1 for around $200 shipped,brand new, and i'm happy with it.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 605
i got the 500/1 and it pushes my 2 12w3v2's real good IMO for being in a sealed box, very nice amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
Any other amp suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us