OT...4 people with rims

Silver Member
Username: Garciag

Post Number: 113
what all goes into getting rims put on i heard something about getting the vehical re-calibrated or something like that just need to know before i order, i dont wanna have to find out i need a couple hundred extra dollars to get them on

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1900
I don't really understand your question but..

When buying rims (or at least online) make sure you know the maximum diameter, width, offset, bolt pattern. Everything comes into play when buying rims and not every rims is going to fit on your car just because you like it. Do some studying and find out the maximums your car can use without rubbing. I know for imports (like my car) it is hard to find good rims because the offset has to be so damn high!

Also changing rims from factory size will mess with your speedometer a little bit...

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
ok thanks for the advice, but to clear up my question other than mounting and balancing what else do i have to do once i have figured out that the rims and tires fit right?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1384
When they say you need your vehicle re-calibrated they're usually saying to get an alignment.Pretty much any rim shop will be able to tell you what rims will fit without modification.

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1349
if the tires are bigger or smaller than the ones on, then u gotta re-calibrate the speedometer. think thats wat u mean, otherwise ill b off a lil.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1907

quote:

but to clear up my question other than mounting and balancing what else do i have to do once i have figured out that the rims and tires fit right?

Buy them.

Bronze Member
Username: Turnmat

Post Number: 52
ok if the rims are a different size and they are alot bigger than what you had before. like say you had 17" on before and than you get say 22" rims your braking will be off along with re-calibrate the speedometer like jordan said. Otherwise from what i heard from a guy who is a auto mechanic that you might need to get some new chips for your cpu or at least it is recommended because your braking and acceleration will be off. hope that helps
Just telling you what i know and what i was told, i dont want to p i s s anyone off

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 1844
calibration.... more then likly im guessing that they are referring to a front\rear end allignment to adjust to the new changes\size tire\rim

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

?????? H-TOWN, TEXAS US

Post Number: 1379
i think they are talking about your speedometer..
because...like..
with bigger rims..lets say 22s or 24s instead of going 35 on your speedometer..you will really be going like seven miles faster.

Silver Member
Username: Splmonster

Nowhere, OH USA

Post Number: 603
i didnt think it was that much of a difference i thought like 22's n 24's it was like 2 or 3 off, could be wrong tho

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 366
sj.t them that seems like a bi hasle just to get rims on a car cuz i have 16 stock on my grand prix and i was thinking some 20's and if you have to do all that i mise well not buy them and wate tilli get a new car to stick the money into it

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 1849
Its not a must, but ya you should get it calibrated so fit ur speedometer. As long as you can deal with your speed being off and remember so you dont go to fast and get tickets... its fine not to change it... i seen plenty of cars who havnt changed it the one that was on stock 18's got 24's has about a 5mph diff. his speed says 45mph but the street speedometer (the ones cops put on the sides of roads at times) said 50mph. Its not really going to be the same at all speeds though, the faster you go the bigger of a change it will see, so.... ya ur speed will be off but ey... better gas mileage

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1252
yeah better gas milage is true because your motor turns less then it had to if it had a shorter tire.....

well i got a nice ticket the other day n thats my defense my speddo is off... i knew i was going a lil fast but not 22MPH over the limit

my speedo is about 10-15 mph beacuse of my rims....

oh dont worry bout the chip thing....(i know u were just told but.....its not neccessary)

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1388
Lol,I highly doubt you will get better gas mileage.Rotating weight is the worst kind of weight to have on a vehicle.It's taking your engine a lot more force to turn those big wheels.Don't forget about stopping power either,when you add big wheels it becomes much harder to stop,especially with small,undersized stock brakes.With bigger wheels you're gonna go through your brakes much faster than wheels of smaller size.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1254
tru rob but in my defense a taller tire will yeild better gas milage not a bigger rim wieght will have a big impact in all forces braking n acceleration

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
thanks everybody, learned alot

Silver Member

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 368
well ill be waiting to get a new car by december maybe cuz i have a grand prix and i wanna get a hatch back or a trans am ls6 or mustand cobra i cand find em for about 8 grand so thats why ill wait to get nice rims or i might even get a blazer or a gmc jimy those souns nice with systems so i aint sure yet.. but anyways ill prolly wait for rims, hopefully it aint a big difference in speed i hope not

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1390
I would stay away from the Ls6 and the Cobra because the insurance will be through the roof.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 11178
when i changed my rims to 19", the salesman told me it should improve at least 60hp.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1395
Lol...those salesmen sure are great tricksters,they'll say anything to make the deal.He lied to you Chad,those wheels only add 50 horsepower.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 11183
damn i got jipped 10hp. wtf. rofl.

Silver Member
Username: Kaos15th

Post Number: 424
just trow them on you dont need to do nothing

Silver Member

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 369
ok rob why what if i dont even get insurance , or do they make you have it b4 buying the car?, i have always wnated a trans am since i drove in one , and the cobras are nice and fats.. but i kinda like cars cuz there quicker than suv's the only thing i woudl liek about the bazer would be the space for subs . but idk if not i will try to find like a smaller 5speed car but i want it to have atleast 180h.p i just hate when cars are slow lol. but anyways since when does getting BIGGER TIRES INCREAS H.P? i have never heard of that b4 how does that work

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1715
haha my speedometer went nuts when i put my 22s on. it said i was going 95 when i was doing 30 and then half the time it would even work, but i just took it to GMC and they fixed it

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1398
Lol Michael,sorry.Me and Chad were just joking.Bigger tires does not increase horsepower,lol.

Silver Member

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 375
lol ok rob i thought u were serious i was thinking wtf that cant be lol. but yea my dad said i would be able ot buy a trans am or a cobra if i paid cahs righ tthere in hand and they woudl let me walk away wiht teh car cuz after i buy it they arent responsible so i might just save for one, but idk the trans am seems really long but really fats, and the mustangs look like the trunk space is small , so idk i might just look into maybe a vr6 jetta or sumthing
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us