What sort of Amplifier should I get?

Username: Shawndulin

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I am almost completly oblivious to car stereos, I'm more of a tinkering with engine and other things guy, so im wondering what amp would be sufficient for this box setup: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-Dual-10-1350W-Subwoofer-Enclosure-TCE4510X2D/ sem/rpsm/oid/148261/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

Thanks in advance
-Shawn Dulin

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3563
you didn't buy that already did you?

but if you did what's your budget for an amp?

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 300
Those subs are DUAL 2's
(225 X 2) 450w rms Power
Find an amp that does about 400-450w rms @ 2OHMS
You can use a 2 channel or a mono.
You also need to post a budget for an amp.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 2
I would say my budget would probably be around $200 if thats an acceptable range, and no I havent bought the box yet...if you have better suggestions I'll be glad to look at others.

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 321
so youd have about 500 total for the setup??

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 3
Yea about that, I can probably go max $1k though, just need to put in some extra work over the summer when I plan on putting it all together. So maybe give better system for $500~ and one around $1k~ =]

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 568
If you're just looking to add some bass, you can definitely do something for $500. If we're upgrading all speakers and such, it'll run you more.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 4
The speaker upgrades can wait til further on down the road un less they start blowing out in the near future.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 580
You can get some kicker CVRs, CVXs, adire audio shivas, TC sounds TC1000s, or the entry level digital designs subs. Amps...you can get a kicker, JBL, hifonics; they're usually more budget friendly.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 5
so are MTX not a good thing for subs?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3573
they suck. not the absolute worst but you can do ALOT better for the money they cost.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 583
no, not the lower lines at least, from what i've heard. A good rule of thumb is never to shop at circuit city or best buy for car audio. Even if they may have some decent products, they'll be overpriced. If something is cheap, it probably is just that in quality. Look on eBay, you're looking at saving in excess of 50% on any given item.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 6
so what kind of amp would go with 2 12 compVRs?

Thanks for the help and putting up with my lack of knowledge in car stereos lol

Username: Spyder22

Post Number: 4
I would check out Elemental Designs. My buddy got one a little while ago with his rockford subs. System sounds real nice. Now I got one (havent hooked it up yet, no radio :-(. I got the NINe.2X and it feels like a heavy amp with some nice craftsmenship. I also have read nothing but good reviews. You get more for your money from Elemental Designs.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3574
"I also have read nothing but good reviews"

i take it you have never been to a car audio forum before huh? just about every car audio forum besides their own flame ed up and down. now i'm not saying their the worst, i might actually buy a few nine.1s here soon, but their have been many problems with their subs, sort of hit and miss if your going to get a working sub or not. and thier customer support has been flamed many, many times and i have read many posts on other forums of customers sending speakers and subs in for repair/swap and taking upwards of several months and unanswered emails/calls to them before receiving them back.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3575
i second the ed nine.1 for an amp, great amp at a good price. but you do stand a chance of possibly getting screwed if you ever need to repair it. but at about $330 for a nine.1 that will put out 1400wrms+ with a good 14.4v is really good. i would say 2 dual 2 cvrs' with a nine.1 at 2ohm would work great.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 7
Im looking at Kickers right now :/
06ZX750.1 ZX Series Class D Monoblock Amplifier R/B on eBay for 177.77, i think its at 4 ohms and 2 ohms per sub....i have no idea what that means but it sounds like it would work.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3576
a kicker 750.1 will work so long as you get a pair of dual 2ohm vc subs.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 8
Impedance per Voice Coil (Ohms) ? 2

that is what im looking for per sub, right?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3579
yes. cvr's come either dual 4 or dual 2ohm vc. just make sure you pick up a pair that are dual 2.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 586
Yes, you will wire the coils in series: 2ohm + 2ohm = 4ohm when in series. Then you will wire the subs in parallel: 4ohm + 4ohm = 2ohm when in parallel.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 9
i think im gonna ride upto an audio dealer this weekend and see what they can do with my ride.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 587
You can also get kicker zx750.1, it'll be a perfect fit for those subs as well. It's as low as $225 shipped on eBay...good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-MODEL-KICKER-ZX750-1-MONO-AMP-750W-REP-KX600-1_W0QQit emZ180095150332QQcategoryZ79829QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 588
Ah audio dealer...be ready to pay more.

Suffolk, VA USA

Post Number: 10
well you listed the two places that i was lookingat as places not to buy at, and i have no idea what im doing when it comes to stereos, so that leaves an audio dealer >_>

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 595
Get the stuff off eBay and take it to the dealer to install.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4698
its not hard to install. oleg is making it sound alot harder. just go to www.the12volt.com --subwoofer wiring configurations and then select how many subs you got, and the impedence

here:

get this amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-MODEL-KICKER-ZX750-1-MONO-AMP-750W-REP-KX600-1_W0QQit emZ180095150332QQcategoryZ79829QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

get the CVR's in dual 2 ohm VC's, because the amp does 750 + @ 2 ohms...

wire them EXACTLY like this:

Upload

thats all there is too it. the basic thing to remember is this:

2 dual voice coil 4 ohm subs wire to a 1 or 4 ohm load

2 dual 2 ohm subs wire to a 2 or 8 ohm load

1 dual 2 ohm subs wires to a 1 or 4 ohm load

1 dual 4 ohm sub wires to a 2 or 8 ohm load
}

buy the subs and amp off the internet

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 597
Thanks, bass. Looking at the bigger picture, he's going to get the power wire run by a shop, so may as well get the subs put in by them.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1025
Shawn Dulin

Check these out

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3406.html
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16918

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 598
I recommend that, too...look more on eBay and you can save more.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4701
i said that because i recommend he installing everything himself and not taking it to a dumb car audio shop that you know more than them. do it yourself, so you can learn

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
@ ctmike

Really.......?
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/206136.html

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3593
by this you talking about what i said about ed as a company? if so then i still stand by what i said. i like their amps, never said i didn't. but ask about their subs, even here. people will say it's hit or miss. go to other forums and ask about ed. their are people that refuse to even consider buying ed because of what they have done in the past. so why not visit www.caraudio.com or www.caraudioforum.com and ask their opinion of ed then come back and post links of what they say.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
nah im ok. i dont know much about their subs, but i like their amps and their build quality, the 5 year warentee is nice too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us