Some help please.

Username: Choopz

Aruba

Post Number: 3
Hi guy's

I have a Pioneer GM-X742 amplifier (very old but working fine). I use this amp for mid's and tweeter's. I currently have 4 3-way Pioneer speakers in the car. I used these speakers because I didn't want to cut or make any more holes in the car. The reason I want to replace them is because they started to break, but they gave me 4 good years. I want to replace them with some of those nice mid's, tweeters & crossover setup I see now.
The holes in the car where the existing speakers are installed are: rear 6.25" (round) and front 4.25" (round). Can any of you Guy's recommend me a nice set of speakers for my car that can fit my requirements?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 287
budget

Aruba

Post Number: 4
Around $200.

I heard about Polk Audio are they any good?

Thanks for the input.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 606
Budget is $200 for both sets?

Aruba

Post Number: 5
Let's make it $350 for both.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3793
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

Aruba

Post Number: 6
Thanks Mat for the info, good read.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 612
I actually like having a nice real fill. After reading that, are you no longer getting speakers in the back, Ricky? lol

Aruba

Post Number: 7
I still like rear fill also thinking about these
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_2543.html
What do you think Oleg?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 613
I think that would be good. This leaves you with plenty of room for a good component set for the front. Are you absolutely sure the size for the front is 4.25? That's an odd size and I can't say I know a company that makes this size components. Maybe you can double check? What's the make/model/year of your car?

Aruba

Post Number: 8
Toyota Cressida 1993 sedan.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 619
Apparently you have 4" in the dash, 5.25" in the front door and 6.5" in rear.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3798
you should be able to make 6.5 fit in the 5.5 spot with an mdf baffel

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 620
I doubt he'll want to modify anything. Which slots are you looking to fill, Ricky?

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
5 1/4 in polk components. heard good things about an entry level set

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Polk Audio db5250
and
Kicker SS Series SSMB6
these kickers are just midbass if i remember right. I wanna know how they sound, and if you shop around online they should be under $250 easily for both total.
or just go with

Polk Audio MOMO Carbon MMC5250
in front nothing in back

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
and those kickers come in 8 in if you think you could get those to fit somehow

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 621
Yeah, I'd get some Polks or Infinities. Their entry level components are pretty solid.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 622
Those kickers are 6.5", but do make sure they fit in the back. Polk MOMO would be a solid choice. Another brand I can think of for a good price is Boston. Be sure to check everything out on eBay after going to a site like Crutchfield.com to ensure the speakers you want actually fit.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 872
Infinity are good budget speakers, I haven't heard Polks. But I'd take either one over the kickers, they are not that great.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 623
Friend used to have kickers in his old car, sounded pretty good. He now has Polks and they sound very good as well, although you'll need to use the EQ to tune them, tweeter is so bright. I like my infinities the best out of all of them...very good budget stuff.

Aruba

Post Number: 9
What kinda of EQ do you recommend to me for lets say $100

Aruba

Post Number: 10
Another question (hope I'm not annmoying you guy's)are these any good http://sonicelectronix.com/item_5386.html
I have good experience with Kicker but it has been a long time I haven't bought any sound equipment so I'm kinda lost. I currently have a pair of 10" Kicker's in the trunk of my car (Toyota Cressida 1993 sedan). They are in a box made by Stillwater designs (300W each). They are quite old know but still pumping quite some bass in combination with a Blaupunkt 150W amp. Will that single 12" Kicker be able to replace the 2x10"? And if so Which amp can I get to do the job? I will also be needing a nice EQ can you recommend me one?
Please can your recommendations be on this same site because they ship to Aruba and that is were I live.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 625
I don't think that 12 will be louder than 2 10s. Stick with your subs, just get another amp. Don't have much experience with add-on equalizers, maybe someone else has a suggestion? If you're going through that site, I suggest going with focal, mb quart, infinity, polk, or jl audio. You may not want any speakers for the back. Get the 5.25" component set for the front and see how you like that, you can get rear fill later if you want it. Give some specs on the subs so we can recommend an amp.

Bronze Member

Aruba

Post Number: 11
Oleg if I stick with my 2X10" @ 300W I should use an two channel amp from about 225W per channel RMS right?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 629
You should get a 1 channel amp that does about 600W rms at 1ohm. I assume your subs are dual 4 ohm? That way you can get a class D amp, which is more efficient.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 895
If the 10s are CVRs then they should be louder than one 12" CVR.

CVRs are good entry level subs, they're just about the only good speaker kicker makes.

Bronze Member

Aruba

Post Number: 12
Thanks guy's but would these old 10" hold up to the power of a new amp? Each sub has it's own speaker wire connection can I still use a 1 channel amp?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 634
Yes, you can just connect both channels to the same speaker outputs. Subs should be fine if you don't give them too much power.

Bronze Member

Aruba

Post Number: 13
Ok thanks Oleg.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us