Whats a crossover?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 316
ok i know what it is but i never really understood what they actually do or how to hook them up

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 248
A cross over is a network of electrical componets that limit and controll range to various parts of the system as desired. It keeps the lower frequencies out of the High end and vice versa. As for hooking them up, hook desired speaker to the inputs, and they usually have an out put that run to the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 3115
Micheal

Here's a link to Linkwitz-Riley crossovers enjoy the reading.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm

Silver Member

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 319
ok nicholas so all i do is hook the speakers up then put rca's into the output of the amp? is that all or is there something on there to make it do differnt sounds or what ?

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 252
There are usually rotary dials, or digital switches on the crossover. These allow you to fine tune cutt-off points or center frequencys. In general, sub ranges 30Hz - 160 Hz , The mid range ususally goes from about 100 Hz - 2K, and of course the high end from about 1 - 20 K.
In each of the categories, depending on your crossover, you can set diff center freq\cutoff and/or Q. This will help you fine tune all 3 parts of your system, keeping unwanted freq out of inapropriate bands.

Silver Member

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 323
ok so it changes sound in ure subs to? and do u hook it up to the output of the amps rca's ? im pretty sure that shwqta you do i have never hooked one up b4. bbut do u have to conect a ground or power with it or anyhting?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 798
Why do you need an external X-over for a sub amp anyway? Most amps have it built in. It's the "LPF" or "frequency" knob on the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigbass24

Post Number: 20
so....m.s. in what scenario would you need a crossover.

Lady in Distress

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3695
you need a crossover for runny any speakers or subs, unless you want full rage music going to them, which you dont.

it sends each speaker the frequencies that will let it produce accurately. most amps and HUs have some type of built in crossover.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 810
Like mat dope just said, most amplifiers have X-overs built in. You would need an external one if your amp doesn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us