Kicker L7 Box

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 459
Hey. While I am waiting to make some money this summer for an upgrade, I figure I may as well make this L7 sound as good as possible and get some feedback on my box building skills before the real thing. I am home for spring break next week and think I will build a ported box for my 12" L7. What do you guys think about 1.8 cubes at 40hz? Feedback? Thanks!

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 460
A little more info...it will be in a 2000 Sable with stock charging. The amp is a Kenwood KAC-9102D mono claiming 850 RMS, so maybe closer to 700RMS.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3632
id do 2 cubes and 35hz

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2156
Go to kickers page. They have the specs on them. I think mine was the street bass one, tuned to 30. I forget the size. maybe 2.75cf

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... I GOT KING K...

Post Number: 4016
WELL ILL DO 38 HZ EVEN WITH 28 HZ THE KICKER WILL SOUND LIKE ITS TUNED TO 40 HZ THEY SUXS

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 461
OK...thanks. Any other opinions?

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 463
Marc, Kicker's page only tells cubic ft, suggestions, not tuning.

And Rob, I am aware they are not the best, but it's what I have for now.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2159
Did you go here? No, No you didnt..

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2006/2006%20L7%20Sub%20b01 %20WEB.pdf

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2160
And once you have those numbers plug em into a box calculator to find tuning. Again I think its 30

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 464
No I did not, but that doesn't tell me the frequncy to tune it to.

I assume you're talking about this?

3.25 ft3 (92L) + port displacement
3 x 13.25" (7.6x34cm) port, 14.5" (37cm) long

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 465
OK thanks. Sorry, didn't see that post before I posted.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 466
OK...so I was thinking this then...

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=32&Eh=15&Dia=7&Xmax=22&Vd= .17&NumW=1&Vb=2.75&Fb=30&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2161
I took all those numbers and plugged em into
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp
then I played with tuning to get 30. But if I had to do it again, I think I would tune to 35 or so.
But 30 rocked.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 467
OK...well I will tune to 35 then since two people have recommended that. What about size tho? What will a bigger box (2.75) have that a smaller box (2.00) won't?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2162
.75 cf

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 468
Well that last question is still out (what does 2.75cuft give me over 2.00cuft), so if anyone can help that would be great. But also, I am not sure if the xmax and displacement are the same as the current models (14.1mm and .17 cuft). I have an old model one. Upload

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2165
2.75 is the optimal size for that sub. Anything smaller will suffacate (stifle) that sub from reaching its full potential. You can put it in a smaller or bigger box, but the sub will suffer SPL and or SQ loss when varied from the subs specs greatly.

And the silver L7 is the '05. Specs are the same for '06. Only the cone is black.

Upload

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 469
OK...the final questions then:

1) Sedan therefore port and sub back, correct?
2) Is the .17cuft of displacement correct? I think that is a # I got from Logan a while back, but I cannot find it anywhere. (VAS of 62.53L)
3) Any need to double baffle of any other tips for the box?

Thanks for all the help!

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2166
GOOD... Last answers

1) yes
2) close enough
3) no. Its a single L7 for petes sake. Just glue and screw, then caulk or resin seams.

Your Welcome!

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 470
You didn't have to keep answering, especially since several of those comments were smart a**. I appreciate the help a ton, but not the attitude. These were addressed to everyone, not personal messages to you.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2167
Hey ben, This is the kicker link with the build specs. Do either the 2.50 box or the 3.25
Its gives you the cut list as well. Simple to follow, Even for you.

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/02SL7TechManualV2_0.pdf

BTW, Attitude is 90%, Skill is secondary.
Relax, No ill intent. Just amusing myself.
and no one forced me to help, but no one else likes to jump in on kicker stuff, unless the thread is
"replacing my L7 with a FI Q hepl"
Good luck.

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 471
OK...like I said, I appreciate it. I will have one of those posts this summer - "replacing my L7 with a FI Q help"

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 626
well, good luck on the Box, it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be my first time. BTW, when you do plan to upgrade do me a favor and be sure to give pierce audio a look they make great stuff and have excellent service.

Bronze Member
Username: Sexybrat

Post Number: 61
ive blown two of the L7 15" in under 2months

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3962
trey did you purchase your pierce direct? and how much did you pay?

Silver Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 473
Trey...I have build many boxes before, but never anything ported. It shouldn't be much different and things have turned out well in the past. So we'll see.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 4103
ported boxes are easy to make...atleast mine was

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 627
yes i got mine direct from J. pierce payed 140 per 15" WMD. it REALLY excels at mid frequencies like lil john throw it up, it peaks right around 47 hz and the woofers gets very loud on that note. The customer service is awesome as well. right now i think their sold out of the 06 WMD's and MOAB's. but they will be releasing 3 lines in 07. the new and improved 07 WMD, the WMD^2 and 07 MOAB. ive seen the prototypes for the WMD^2 and the 07 MOAB and its AWESOME. the MOAB has a 62LB motor and about 12 inches from top to bottom, going to be wawrrantied for 3000 RMS. the WMD squared has a 45 lb motor and will be good for around 2 grand RMS, i believe. Granted ive only seen prototypes but they look tiiight. I could go on and on about their new woofers. Bottom line is that they will be awesome

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 236
Gord i seriously think you dont know what your doing if your blowing subs like that L7s arent the best but they dont suck that bad did you break them in and are you using the rms power and not peak u gota be doing something wrong

Bronze Member
Username: Sexybrat

Post Number: 67
i bought em used i was running it with a 1200.1 jbli didnt think my setting were wrong
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us