Is my box the sucks?

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1114
this is my design for two 18" BLs. they get wicked loud but they seem like im pushing them too hard sometimes with only around 1000 watts. i think i need abit bigger box but im not sure.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4539
You are prolly pushing the amp(s) too hard...not the subs.

If you go to a bigger box, the subs will not handle as much power.

Silver Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 531
thats a really small box for 2 18"s...i think those are the exact external dimensions on my box

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
for 2 15"s btw

Gold Member

Post Number: 1118
pushing the amps too hard? will that cause the subs to start making awful sounds when you turn up the volume more and more. its hard to explain the sound but something funky comes out of the port sometimes. theres no way i can be pushing these too hard with only 1000 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1119
i think my gain is set correctly. the subsonic filter, yeah, that one, i put it about halfway and it kinda sounded good?... the bass boost, all the way up...

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10851
that box is too small for those subs though. they recomend 5-10 cuft but you are looking at around 3 cuft per sub.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2153
bass boost all the way up.....all the way down will be better.

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1986
yeah, bass boost is really unneccesary

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4541
I just realized how small that box was...looks like ~4.5-4.75cuft.

I would prolly run 1 15 in that box.

Try 12-14cuft net w/ those 2 18's.

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10854
that box is around 8.5 gross. i would say the port takes up a good 2 cuft if not more. also your driver displacement.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1120
so i got screwed by TTB in other words?

i have said this box seemed small since i got the design 1+ month ago. i guess it wasnt some magical box after all...

on a mission to built a bigger box...

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
you will have to go with no backseats with 2 18"s in that jeep...and like canaan said go with 12-14 cuft

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10859
did they know it was for 2 18s?

btw tuan is all about small boxes. at the last comp he told me to do smaller box for more gain. i don't know. maybe that is what he was thinkng when he gave you the design.

explain in detail how your subs are sounding tremor. what do you mean by they sound like they are working too hard? does it sound like it is going to blow if you turn the volume up?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1601
That box should be perfect for 2 15s I might buy it off of you

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
or you could buy my tcab reece ? lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1121
its for two 18s chad. i thought there was a mistake at first but in the other pages that show the holes cut out they are 18s...

as far as their sound at higher volumes, it is a sound that i have heard before with other setups. i guess you could say it sounds like they are going to blow, but they wont. its hard to explain the sound but all the impact goes away and a higher pitch weird noise comes out of the port. it freaks me out and i turn it down everytime it does it...

and im not losing my backseats. they will fit in the back but im not getting away with them being under the window line as easy as i thought...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
bump!

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
12cuft will almost be touching the sealing lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1125
i have 42.5 wide and i think 30 deep to work with...

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 425
make a wall...

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1603
Haha your dimensions are wrong for me Joe... I'm prolly gonna get Mark to build me one when I actually decide what I'm gonna get. I'm prolly getting ready to drop 500 on a panasonic screen

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10862
you can do 42w x 22h x 30d and that will give you 13.5 cuft gross. with the port and driver displacement, you would see around 11 cuft net. that should work perfect for those subs.

do subs up and port back this time.

to give you an idea how a bigger box would sound, take out one of your sub out. plug the hole and run just one sub to see how it sounds.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 743
" the bass boost, all the way up... "

I would highly suspect that's the problem right there. You mean the bass boost on the amp not the HU right? If so, get rid of it. They shouldn't even put those BB adjustments on amps.

When you add boost after setting your gain correctly, your gain is no longer correct and your amp will clip.

Silver Member

Post Number: 537
40 wide x 19 high x 22 depth

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
when i go to work in the morning i will zero the bass boost. i am still going to build a bigger box.

chad, lemme change that around to 42 wide x 24 high and 28 deep. think you could help me with a design? simple slot port out the back?

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10866
i didn't read the bass boost part. yeah you don't want that. mine is on zero all the time.

yeah those dimensions would work well. if you don't too much port displacement, you can do 4 6 inch aeros out the back. the subs up. also with that box size you can do separate chambers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
can you throw together a design for me? i just need to know what to cut really...

42 wide, 24 tall and 28 deep. subs up port back. tuned low 30s. i will add the double baffle making it just shy of 25 tall, which is the top of the backseat headrests...

i dont really care for aeros...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
tremor1127@yahoo.com

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10868
42w x 24h x 28d = 14cuft gross.

driver displacement is .23 x 2 = .46

port area........26inches wide x 8 inches tall and 16inches long giving you 34hz tuning.

here is a view from the rear.

Upload

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10869
each square is 1 inches.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
pretty quick. thanks much chad...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1256
How much did you pay for that plan Tremor?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10878
you can make the ports interchangeable. when you do the cut out for the sub, make it as close to the front as possible.

you are lucky you can do a simple square box. i hate working with angles.

btw sorry i don't have the fancy program to use to show you a better pic. for some reason google sketchup won't work on my pc.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3919
wow guys lol. none of you think outside the box :P

that istn a bass reflex. its a transmission line with a compression chamber (t-box). that allows the net cuft to be way smaller. if you have any questions you should ask pete himself. as for the sound i'm about 100% sure its not the box. your bass boost should always be minimal (3db) if any at all. those subs free air wouldnt have trouble with 1000wrms. btw, the compression chamber allows them to take more power as aposed to a regular t-line. go check it out on the hexibase forum. hopefully you can have them working right asap!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1132
well, they havent made any funny noises since the bass boost has been turned down. and i tried emailing pete at one point after i got all the plans but got no response...

i may still build another box for them, though...

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3923
pete has been very busy lately. you can try making a post on the hexibase forum and see what others there have to say until he responds.

Platinum Member

KINETIKLos Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10937
trevor i thought on the t-line boxes, the ports width are same size as the sub. also shouldn't the ports be alot longer?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3945
no.... believe it or not its not NEARLY as easy as that tutorial made it seem.... there is many more factors that go into it. infact many t-lines start ith about 2sd and go to 1 sd. (tapered) this particular box isnt a t-line its a t-box lol. kinda like a mix between t-line and bass reflex. but if you look at it, that is quite a bit of port area, and its a pretty damn long port... appx 80 inches. there are so many kinda of t-line and variable tht affect them its rediculous. i gotta go now but if you interested i'll give you some links later i've been reading up on about them.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3948
but yes they CAN be the same as Sd and stay that way (untapered) depends on many things though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us