Amp rated for 2-16ohm blew when connected to 4 ohm speaker and tweeter

Username: Tom14pep

Post Number: 5
I have a Cyclone Audio Ca698 1000 watt 4 channel amp that is supposedly able to handle 2-16ohms, and has 4x250watt max @ 4 ohms and 4x400 watt max at 2 ohms. I bought a Visonik VT1229 tweeter and hooked it up onto my blaupunkt 6.5" speaker(just connected them onto the same wire about a foot from the speaker. they both are 4 ohm speakers. I listened to it for about half an hour, and then the 4 channel amp started to not work, but when i would change the song it would work, and then, 10 minutes later after this happened, it completely stopped working. I took all the rca plugs and wires to the speaker off of the amp and the protect light was still on(i found when i got home& it had quit that it was on, before disconnecting any wires). So with the power, ground, and remote wire connected into the amp, it still stays red. When i start it up, it goes green for a split second, and then goes red. Before today, it had worked perfectly with the two sets of speakers i had put on it. I had just recently bought the tweeters and put them on. (they worked for about 45 minutes). The ground and remote and power wires work because they are connected to a subwoofer amp and it still works perfectly. What is going on, did i blow the amp? if so, what is another 4 channel amp that would give me 50 watts rms per channel for under 200$.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1709
Ok.. im guessing you ran it bridged when you wired the speakers? If you did and you connected the tweeter with the 6.5 by + to + and - to - you ran a 2ohm load to the amp.. so in bridged mode that probally cant handle it.. if it blew on a single channel like that.... you either had the gain to high or your amp just broke...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us