What amp to properly power my 12 inch sub

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 54
I have a eclipse sw7200 12 inch rated at 500 rms and 1000 max. I thought my 500 watt at 2 ohm rms profile ap1000m amp would power it decently but it seems that it may be clipping.

I have my gains a litttle under half like I had it on with my old sub. When I turn gain up the sub makes a tapping pooping noise when it plays. When I turn the gain lower and turn up the volume on my headunit it pops and taps again. Is there something wrong with the sub or is it my amp?

So Is my amp too weak for this sub? Cause it should be hitting harder I think. I have the sub in a 1.9- 2.0 cub ft box tuned @ 32 hz.

What amp should I get to properly power this sub? Im looking at a hifonics for price of course. What other brands and models are good also?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1655
I dont think the amp is the problem here... also the gain is NOT a volume control. When you set it you want the HU volume set to the highest volume you will use (ussualy 3\4 way up to get minimal clipping) and set it right up to the point that anymore volume levels will start clipping... Is the sub wired right? Is it a DVC 1ohm DVC 4ohm or SVC 2ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 55
yeah. I set my gains already. I turned volume on the head unit the most i could till i heard distortion. Then I set my gains on my amp up till i heard the sub distort.

The sub is a dual 4 ohm wired parralel into 2 ohms. So what you mean to say is the sub might be damaged?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us