Powering Boston's Zs

Username: Magnoliahifi

Post Number: 1
I'm looking at putting a pair of Boston Zs in the front and possibly Boston SL95s in the rear. I have a great deal on a Rockford Power T4004 and would like to use this to power all 4 speakers, but this is where it gets tricky. According to the side of the box and Rockford's website it only puts out 25x4 at 4ohms, and according to the birth certificate in the box it puts out 90 per channel at 4 ohms, which makes a little more sense. Still, the Zs are rated at 140rms so they'll be a little underpowered at 90. I could bridge the 4 channel to just power the fronts and they would be awesome, but then what do I do about the rears? Would I be missing something significant if I tried to power the Zs and the rears with this amp?

And for the Zs, I have 5.25s in there from the factory, but my installer thinks it can hold 6.5s. It would be easier for me to get a good deal on the Z5s, but I think I can on the Z6s as well. How significant is the sound difference between 5s and 6s?

One more question. My space for rears is a 6x9. Should I stay 6x9 and do something like the SL95, or should I go 6.5" and so something like the SX65?

My car is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 580
Most high quality systems don't run rear speakers at all:

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/rearfill.html

So I would bridge the 4 channel amp to 2 channels and use it for the front components. As for the speakers sizes, round speakers will always sound better.

Post Number: 2
Great read. Thanks for the article.

Now my only question is this. The Boston Z5 and Z6 both are round speakers. Is the 6 significantly if at all better?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 589
Get the 6s if you can fit them. In general, a 6.5" speaker will have better midbass response than the same speaker in 5.25".

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

Perres, California

Post Number: 1986
how do those z6's compare to some infinity perfect 6.1's? which ones louder? which ones brighter?

Post Number: 3
I haven't heard the Infinity and don't have much experience with the brand. The Boston Zs are extremely bright and sound awesome in my opinion, but some argue they are too bright and lack midbass. If you can afford it the new Boston SPZs are supposed to sound much better. I only went with the Zs instead of the SPZs because I got a really good deal on them.

As for volume, you may be interested in knowing the Zs are rated at 140w rms. They also run at 3ohms, so they will draw some extra power from an amp set up for 4ohms so you can maxamize their potential a little easier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us