Fuses melted

Bronze Member
Username: Sexybrat

Post Number: 52
i was crusing listening to my tunes when all of a sudden my sub stopped thinking i blew my sub i check it smelt it it seemed all good check the fuses in my amp melted. any idea why this would have happened i have a jbl 1200.1 powering a 15" L7 kicker running at 2ohm any inputed is greatly appreciated

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 71
Damn. I've seen blown fuses in my day, but outright melted? Like the metal prong, the plastic casing?

I'd guess that amp is putting off some serious heat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
yah the plastic melted the one was so bad it was stuck i had to get pliers to get it out. also another question would it be becuse my lights dim and my alt isnt h.o its only 63 amp

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 535
Sounds like a bad amp to me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
its worked fine for 4months mabe i just have to setting wrong?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
Sounds like a fire hazard to me.
Maybe, just a thought, look into getting a new amp or at least having someone who knows their sh8t take a look at it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
thanx alot guys would u recommend a higher output alternator ???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
A HO alt. if well made is the way to go.
Cheaply made ones will break down quicker than a stock.

Excessive amperage seems like a very legit business, the owner is very prompt about returning emails and what not. I also hear good things about iraggi alts.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 401
Yeah, insufficient charging system will mess up your amp, subs, speakers and everything else. That is, of course, if it doesn't get messed up first. Nathan at excessive amperage is making my HO alt right now, I recommend you order one as well. You'll keep messing your stuff up if you don't.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
thnx guy i appreciate this alot another quick question wut would be the best settings for my amp to get the best hit i got a 1200.1 jbl powering a 15" L7 @ 2 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 317
Go Iraggi, not EA.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
wuts so bad with EA??

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 595
" Go Iraggi "

x2

Better quality alt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
were would i get an lraggi

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 435
Google "iraggi" and click on the eBay store that comes up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
alright thnx guys wut should my settings be on my amp jbl 1200.1 Powering L7 kicker 15"??

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 318
Ok my EA woes:

After many recommendations here to get a HO alt from Nate at EA, I did and ended up paying $300 for it (180A). Well in the long run the alternator shorted itself out, and while it did that it cost me about $1000 in damages to other equipment in my car. I was not very happy with that at all. If you would like a complete story with more details and my further opinion, feel free to email me.

djbeanpole@gmail.com

I have since switched back to my standard alternator and I'm fine. I had the alternator tested that I had gotten from Nate after I knew something was wrong and it was just dead. It was even putting out an amp. It was just toast. Ridiculous.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 440
Mine's already paid for, so hopefully I'll be one of those cases where it does work out. How long did your alt last before it died? What kind of warranty does EA offer anyway?

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 323
Beats me as to what kind of warranty they offer. Would be nice to know if they have one, eh? As far as how long it lasted... I would say it was about 3 months in before I finally figured it out that the alternator was the cause of the problem. At first I thought it was a fuse causing a problem, but after the same fuse kept blowing over and over again I knew something was up. The lights dimming during idle periods too w/o music on had me scratching my head...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Really? ANy additional info from David, beanpole, or anyone else who knows is appreciated here.

I was looking into getting a HO alt for my 05 taco, and nate @ EA is the only one so far who has any off-hand. Iraggi seems to cater mostly to older cars; I haven't seen anyone who has one on a car less than 10 years old and there aren't any in his ebay store.
I did order up a HO alt. years ago from some jackass on ebay who closed his account like a month later, the thing was useless.
Kinda put me off of em for a while, but I'd like to get a working one.

So... I'ma keep watching this thread.

Silver Member

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 324
Jerome, I guess its hit or miss. (BTW, I am David, just changed my username :P) For my case it could have been just that instance or my particular setup. I did everything like I was supposed to, and somewhere along the way it just died. Its death caused some foul up along the wires into a wiring harness which gave me an even bigger headache with a really bad fuse that dealt with traction control, gauges, CHARGING SYSTEM, etc... To have this replaced and fixed cost me 600+, not to mention towing, and that the problem happened at least twice (before the mechanics figured it out). In the end, a $300 alternator cost me ~$1000 more... which is just ridiculous. Things may have changed, his product may be better, but I wouldn't go back to him. Shoulda stuck w/ the stock alternator from the beginning. But take your chances, just see what other people say. Some will give positive feedback, other negative. Its up to you.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 441
He's supposed to ship mine this week, I'll get it next week and get it installed professionally as well as tested. I've never had any electrical problems, so if anything goes wrong *knock on wood* I'll know its cause. I'll keep this updated during the next few weeks to see how it unwinds. Thus far, customer service, etc has been perfect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Jeez, what a hassle. Mine just crapped out on me in the dead of winter a few years back, maybe 2 months after I had it put in, but it didn't damage the rest of the car.
Never had a good charge from the first day it was in, and I just kinda dismissed all HO alts as useless. Only after did I see a properly functioning system. But I'm gonna keep the stock in there until I am certain it's a good idea to upgrade. Haven't seen too many 05 taco custom jobs out there.

Oleg, good luck with yours. I'm definitely curious as to your results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us