Fuse question

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 397
Since I'm getting an HO alternator, I'll now need a new fuse (the one that's by the battery). Alternator is 180amps. My sub amplifier's max draw is 160amps and the other amplifier's max draw is 75amps. What type and size of a use do I need to get. BTW I'm running 4ga power wire to distribution block, and short 8ga wires from there. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 514
Read these two pages:

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 398
That helps a bit, but I still have a question. My maximum current flow is 235amps, whereas the alt can only put out 180amps. Which number do I use here? Also, given the difference, should I upgrade the wiring?

Silver Member

Post Number: 516
Distro blocks are a pain because you have to use more fuses. I would just run two wires.

I would run 2 awg with a 200 amp fuse to the sub amp, and 6 awg with an 80 amp fuse to the other amp.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 399
Cool, I get ya. I think I will run 2 wires. However, if I do decide on a distribution block, still use 2awg wire and 200amp fuse?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 408
Oh yeah, I wanted to learn how to run power wire and RCAs through the car and was wondering if there's anyone in Los Angeles area who knows how to do this well (and I mean really well) that wants to do this with me. I'll pay and what not, let me know who's interested.

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 563
If you do end up using a distro block you would need to run 0 awg with a 325 amp fuse to the block.

As for the install, it helps if you have a service manual for your car that tells you how to take apart the interior. I'd help ya if I wasn't on the other side of the country.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us