A little help for a newbie

Username: Grandhustle

Post Number: 1
First off I wanna say wassup to everyone here. Im glad I found this place so I can talk about somethin that I really love... Bass.

Anyways I don't think Ill ever be satisfied by the bass i have in my car. I wanna sell what I have right now and I thought... who better to help me decide what to start over with then pro's who know what they are talking about...

So my question is... what type of system would knock the hardest and sound the loudest for my jeep 98 grand cherokee? If anybody can help me id really appreciate it! Thanks guys

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2099
Well since no one is up this late I'll start things off. Heres a few questions that we ask newcomers.

Budget?: how much you willing to spend.
What are you looking for?
How much power do you desire?
How many subs? What size?
&
Whats your current setup? So we know what will get louder than your current or previous setup.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

RE SX 15, IA US

Post Number: 2057
jeh bump

Post Number: 2
Budget?: how much you willing to spend.
Money is not really an issue as of this moment.

What are you looking for? The loudest, cleanest, hardest hitting music.

How much power do you desire? The most

How many subs? What size? However many that will get the job done. If it takes 1 so be it. If it takes 4 so be it.

Whats your current setup? I have 2 alpine type R 12's and a kenwood 1700 watt amp for them both. I have door speakers but they haven't been installed yet and they are 4 pioneer speakers that cost me like $150 for all of them.

Post Number: 3
oh btw the last post was me, Camron, I just changed my user name =]

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2100
We'll, if you plan to run 2000rms (real watts) or more, your going to look at anywhere from 300-600 in charging upgrades alone. So lets start the build shall we =).

Subs: Digital Designs, AudioQue, Fi Car Audio, Mmats, Eclipse, Ascendant Audio, Image Dynamics, Tc Sounds.
www.ddaudio.com www.audioque.com www.ficaraudio.com www.mmatsproaudio.com www.ascendantaudio.com (Check woofersetc.com for image dynamics prices and mmats prices)

Now, if you have the money, personally I would go with 2 DD 9515's, their about $650 each. So thats already $1300

I would power them up with 3krms each. Any of the following brands is acceptable: Kicker, Orion, Memphis, and some others I can't think of. Your looking at $1000+ for amplifiers

Box: Build your own box with about 2-3 MDF sheets, a gallon of epoxy resin or so, screws and all that good stuff. 200-400 depending how you build it.

Power wire, fuse holders/dist blocks. If you decide to use the good wire. 300 for about 100ft or less. and another 100-150 for fuse holders, dist blocks, fuses, speaker wire and w/e else you need. << for the best stuff that is.

Charging system. I would start off with 2 Kinetik hc2400 batts in the back and a smaller one in the front like a hc1800 in the front. And a Iraggi 300amp alt w/ lifetime warranty.
Batts will probaly cost 600+ and the alternator will cost 600 give or take.

You definitely need new door speakers and a new high amp since your highs won't be able to keep up I suppose. thats another 500-1000 for that.

If this is what you want. then I guess we can send you to the right people and you can ask what you really want after this. Mainly since price range doesn't matter right?

So basically, your looking at a $5k - $6k system.
You'll definitely won't want to change after a setup like this.

Bronze Member
Username: Jesse59672

OK

Post Number: 34
may need to invest in new windows

Post Number: 4
LOL damn bro I didn't understand barely anything you said...

And maybe im crazy but all i was thinkin about getting was 2 12' kicker solo x's or maybe just 1 18' solo x and keep the same amp I got. I also have an alpine 600 watt amp for my door speakers.

What do you think about what I have right now tho?
Is it junky or is it quality?

Post Number: 5
lol Jesse.

ya thats true my stuff might break if i spend 5 G's on a clean system like that...

I was thinkin tho... I really wanna get a Chrysler 300 c 2007 and start fresh wit a new car. I really like the kicker solo x and i wanna see if i cant build my system around that

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 645
if money isn't an issue...
he's giving you good and honest advice, dude.

Personally, I don't think you realized the cost or complexity of an install like the one you've mentioned... i could be wrong.

Start with upgrading your alternator to actually support the stystem you're planning for. Don't bother doing anything else first if you plan on running over 1000 watts.

In case you're like me, and 1000 watts or less is enough for you... it's much more simple of a scenario: pick your subs, your amps, door speakers, head unit, fuse holders, fuses, wires, box building supplies, and whala!

REMEMBER THIS!!!:
If you're new... you're looking for bass 9 times out of 10. But, once you've had extreme bass long enough to realize what's really going on... you will start to desire sound quality too... then eventually, over time, sound quality will be your main objective.
What does that mean? It means at LEAST 3 totally different sound systems you will end up going through before you're truely happy.
$$$$$$$$$$$$ x 3!
Don't be discouraged, though... it's fun... and you can usually sell your old stuff once you've obtained your new stuff.

Oh, one last thing not mentioned already:
sound deadening!
nothing sucks more than a car that rattles like s,h,i,t! Nobody likes it... you won't either... and just cuz it sounds good inside... doesn't mean people ain't laughing 2 cars down!!! So invest in some sound deadening material and do everything you can to prevent it. Once it starts, it spreads like cancer - seriously.

Well, that's my 2 cents for the day...
hope it helped!

Post Number: 6
my car rattles like a mofo! i hate it so much.

See the problem is that all you guys have great advice but the thing is... i have no idea how to build all this stuff myself. im not that talented and good wit this type of stuff.

I wanna find someone that can help me or somewhere I can go to get it taken care of wit someone who knows what the hell they are doing, unlike me.

I guess right now im just buildin my dream system and keepin it in the back of my head so when i do get a new car, I can start from scratch. Like i said earlier tho... Im really feelin those solo X's. I think they are the hardest hitting subs out there =]

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2101
What are you looking for? The loudest, cleanest, hardest hitting music.

And maybe im crazy but all i was thinkin about getting was 2 12' kicker solo x's or maybe just 1 18' solo x and keep the same amp I got.

---------------------
The solo x will not give you the cleanest bass. Although it will give you hard hitting bass. But with that much money, invest in some better quality subwoofers. And I don't know about your amp, but I'm positive it doesn't do 1700watts. and that amp won't give enough power to that solo x.

Thats why I asked you what your budget was and how much power you would like.

---------
if you don't want to spend a lot of money. build a new box for your type r's and get a new amp since I don't know what that kenwood does. It probaly does 900rms, but not sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
i like the 4 10's setup...
cone area = spl
so 4 10's is alot of bass bro... you don't need 15's to do it. plus, 10's respond WAAAY better than 15's or 18's - especially fast kickdrum... s,h,i,t like that.

sorry, just thought i'd throw that in there to help you out.

(square subs are JUST spl subs, dude... if you do some research... you'll see that round subs are WAAAAY more sound quality oriented and they make ALOT of them that will PUNISH YOUR WHOLE BLOCK WITH BASS... at least CONSIDER round subs... you'll thank me later.

Post Number: 7
I have round subs right now. I have 2 12' alpine type R's and they just do not hit hard enough for me. I might just get a new box for them because my friend made my boxes. I just can't seem to get the amount of bass i want from them. I can still hear the words to the songs and thats not what i want at this point

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
but don't take our word for it...
what does everyone else say???

ALSO, YOU'LL GET ALOT MORE OUT OF YOUR MUSIC, SOUND SYSTEM, AND OVERALL HAPPINESS OF ALL YOUR MONEY SPENT IF YOU LEARN ABOUT IT LITTLE BY LITTLE AND BUILD YOUR SYSTEM ON YOUR OWN.
Of course you need help... we'll help you. Do you feel like you want to start a whooooole new hobby and dedicate aloooooot of time to this? If so... WE ARE HERE FOR YOU, BRO!

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
if that's what you want... first... take care of that rattle!
Edead and Dynamat are good but expensive ways to fix it. (like a tar like fabric) - go to audio shops for that... you'll have to pay for them to put it in too... it's expensive. You'll need it pretty much everywhere, mainly in back of the INSIDE of the vehicle.
Then, get under that clunker and identify the parts that are rattling by pressing against the body and parts until you find the noisy b,i,t,c,h that's ruining your sound. Do what it takes to correct that area... be it foam spray to fill gaps on body or tightening bolts, etc.

then, maybe consider 2 kicker L7's... you can power those with your current amp and will still have enough stability to upgrade to a BIGGER amp and still keep the subs! sounds just right for you, man. seriously.

also, which way are your subs facing?
they should be (typically) facing the rear of the vehicle, as far back as you can get them... unless they're in the trunk - still face to the rear but slide box towards front of the car.
open up your box and caulk the c,r,a,p out of all edges corners, everywhere air could leak. make a gasket if you don't already have one for the rim of your sub. then, once it's all ready to go... put polyfill (pillow stuffing) in the box. Last, invert your subs. This will give you more box space amongst many other positive effects (remember, everyone... he said bass bass bass... he wants to drown out the words) lol
right, dude???
Do these things and you will notice a dramatic change in bass... even with the type r's.
YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know how it goes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
is your box made of plywood or mdf?
verrrrry important. 3/4" mdf for future reference... make sure it's braced well...

once, i just screwed a bunch of scrap mdf to the outside of my existing box to stop it from flexing... and holy mother of god!! it worked great!

solid box=solid bass

ok... i'm done. bye.

lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
sorry to be a lier... but i'm leaving after this and i'm really trying to help...

what do you know about ohms? wire your subs like this:

amp + to left sub + to right sub + (one continuous chain)
do the same with the -

if your amp is 2 channels...
bridge it THEN do it.

I don't know how many ohms stable your amp is... but if the fuses pop... switch it back... but at least you'll know.... plus, if they don't pop... it'll be TWICE as loud. guaranteed.
(assuming that they're not already wired that way)
don't worry... they're just fuses.
lol

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3984
"Money's not an issue" and Kicker subs do not belong in the same zip code. If you're looking at Kicker than money is an issue. Alot of guys spend more on their drivers than some do on their entire setup.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

EveryThing I Own is FO..., OK U.S.A

Post Number: 736
i tink the reason ur R's arent hittin for you is that amp ur pushing with them, they need about 600wrms each, and your givin them like 450 each, that could be one big reason.... think about that

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10793
^^^could be a simple thing as box design & believe me i experimented alot when i had my type Rs ........

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3832
dude...go with what berny said if you got 5-6k...thatd be badass

Silver Member

EveryThing I Own is FO..., OK U.S.A

Post Number: 737
x2^^^^^ that would be f()cking awesome.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1488
Get a TCAB box. Mark Potts knows more about Type R's than anyone. Also get a new amp. With a new amp and a TCAB you will have enough bass. Shoot Mark an E-mail on his website. thecaraudiobox.com

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

DD 9512s , Orion d5000

Post Number: 587
It sounds like you want twice the bass for $1000.00 at the most. Is that right? I noticed that you keep going back to a l7 or 2 as a max setup. If so, you have the perfect spl vehicle, with plenty of room for 4 x 12's. why not go with a new custom box, and add 2 x alpine r's, with another of the same amp. You'll need some minor charging system upgrades though.

is this your amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KENWOOD-KAC-9102D-1700-WATT-MONO-POWER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQite mZ180088017901QQihZ008QQcategoryZ39734QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
When you're in the mood to study and learn... check out this website!! You're gonna love it.

http://www.bcae1.com/

That should prove to be VERY helpful... alot to read too.

i got your message by the way... apa1upchuck is my aol screen name for instant messaging. Peace.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 481
" "Money's not an issue" and Kicker subs do not belong in the same zip code "

x2

If you care about CLEAN hard hitting bass like you say, you won't want a kicker. Listen to BernyMac, everything he said was right on.

Silver Member

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 740
yep^^ kicker can only be in the same zip code in the amplier section... defentley not the subs

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2102
impala63rag has a good idea. It would be the least expensive. But I'll change something if I can. Get 2 more type R's but get a new amp, something like a kicker 2500 or orion 2500. build a new box. This setup would give you loud, clean bass. Loud because you have 4 subwoofers. and clean because everyone knows type r's are pretty clean subwoofers.

Post Number: 8
impala yup thats my amp right there. I guess you guys are right. 5-6 k is a bit much. I'm stupid for not even thinking about all the other things that i would need such as fuses, dynomat, wires, etc.

I wish I could just go somewhere, tell them exactly what I wanted, paid them, and got it all installed professionally because who am I kidding... I'd never be able to do half of that stuff myself. I'd just be able to pick what I'd want in my car... =/

Post Number: 10
I dunno what to do. So many choices and different setups. I just don't think ill ever be satisfied with the amount of bass i have...

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 4004
Welcome to the addiction. Please sign in at the front desk.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

You aint wangin till y...

Post Number: 974
i have a 98 grand cherokee, too... :-)

you can pretty much buy a sub or two or four from any of the links that berny posted up top. all five or so of those companies make good stuff all the way down to their low end model... i would stick with at least two speakers though. one speaker is never really enough bass if bass is the main objective.

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
and i think i read somewhere that smaller subwoofers arent anymore responsive than larger ones if they are built right.

and the solo Xs are very loud if you feed them enough power but the subs that others are reccommending to you will sound ALOT better and probably with less power, less space and less money. might even be louder. there are people that build boxes on here that ship for good prices as well. im one of them.

heres my box for two 18s.

Upload

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3843
what subs do you have tremor?

and how do you like the grand cherokee? i mite be getting a 05 grand cherokee laredo soon...

Silver Member

Post Number: 976
the subs will be here tuesday, they are fi BLs. i know i will love them. :-)

i love my grand cherokee, i would like a new one though.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3845
thatll be badass man...

Bronze Member
Username: Kickerandy

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 87
all you guys are retarded i would go with the 2 sony explodes from wal-mart there cheap and REALLY good sound quality i love them, it dosent matter what kind of sub u have, the box only makes the sound, so all subs are the same, the only sound is comming from the box, i know...

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3847
lol cool andy...have fun with your explodes dude...you keep reppin them man...

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 2103
I smell trouble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
hey thats awesome tremor. The problem im having is just deciding what to do!

I dunno if i should just keep the alpines that i have already, get 2 more, ask someone here to make me a box, get a new amp (or 2), and try that out...

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 299
is the box you have right now ported or sealed for R's?

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
you could get out cheap by getting two more type Rs, one big amp, and some electrical upgrades.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thats true tremor but do you think ill be satisfied?
I just wanna have the most bass out there but yet still be able to enjoy the music.

Bballa kid, I have a box made for each sub and they are sealed. A little bit of air seeps through the MDF but i dunno if that makes a huge affect on the quality of the hit. I just don't really like the way the subs hit. I turn up the volume to 15 when all the bass is maxed out on my deck and the amp and it just sounds like sh!t 2 me

Silver Member

Post Number: 978
4 type Rs and an orion 2500d at .5 ohm...

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Alpine/typer12.35.wmv

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
the most bass out there?

i think you would be satisfied with 2-4 subwoofers and 5,000-10,000 watts but there are alot of choices that match that.

the most bass out there. multi-tasking would not be possible anymore, you would barely be able to drive...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
do you think 4 12' alpine subs will hit hard enough for me? Also I guess i'm going to need to get 2 new boxes. And I'd probably need 2 amps huh?

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 89
hey XxXGrAnDHuStLeXxX.....4 "f"ing alpines??? no they wont hit hard at ALL!! if u know anything about subs, you woul know that one would hit enough, u need to get ur life straight

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 120
2 JL W7 13.5 will hit hard and clean

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 92
2 JL W7 13.5??? hell no!! man have u ever heard one of those in a car?? they sound HORRIBLE my friend has 3 in his trunk, and ya they dont sound good at all, my sony explode could blow his JL's out of the water any day, any time...

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3849
^^lol

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 94
ya know what "Yanks fan" i dont like u, cause ur a yanks fan, they shouldnt even be called a team, i hope nobody takes the YANKS seriously cause we all know they buy their talent,

Silver Member

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 300
i remember i made fun of hom a LONG time ago for being a yanks fan to.. but hes coo:-).

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3853
thanks balla...your tight too bud...andy, yuor not

Bronze Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 99
fu*k if he is.....hes a yanks fan!!! i HATE the yanks, and all people who like the yanks...who do u cheer 4??

Silver Member

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 303
tigers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
So ya I think thats what Im gonna do. Get 2 more alpines and a 2500 watt Orion amp. Is that enough?

Silver Member

Vesta, MN America

Post Number: 103
ya see the tigers...i actually kinda like them, they dont buy their whole roster like the yankees do.

Silver Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 121
i heard 1 12 in W7 a car and it was very and i mean very pleasing it sounded like 2 15's

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Andy, STFU and get out. No one likes you here posting negative things about people who know more than you.

I think a lot of the people that post this sh!t come here after getting banned from every other car audio forum out there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
have a box built for however many subs you get.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1605
Type R's..... who should he talk to about getting a box for those to get loud in? lol..... and a new amp...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
hey Killa, I heard that one guy knows a lot about type R's. Can you tell me who to talk to please?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3576
Mark Potts...hes on this forum
make a thread for him

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 536
^^^^^ Might you be looking for Mark Potts? His website is:

http://www.thecaraudiobox.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hey guys, whats the best way to face subs? Towards the back of the trunk, towards the seats of the car, or maybe upwards facing the ceiling???

Which one will make for harder hitting bass?

Silver Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 547
It all depends on the vehicle, you just have to experiment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
subs up and port back is going to be the better one most times in SUVs or hatchbacks.

experiment, though...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well in my opinion, I think its louder inside the car when you face it towards the back. Im not too sure why that is but it makes the car rattle more from the outside. Inside sounds better though and I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us