Post Number: 30
"Here you go..

180 $399
200 $419
220 $439
240 $459
260 $479

Thanks, Dom"

These are the prices iraggi sent me for an HO alt for an 07 gt mustang. A little surprised when people told me it shouldnt be more than 250ish.

Anyways I am going to be running two 12in fi q's and a massive audio 3000.1 Which amp should i get?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1075
I would get the 260 personally or one with more amperage if possible,the reason I say that is because if you plan on upgrading in the future you won't have to get another alternator and waste even more money.Oh and pay that extra $100 for the lifetime warranty,it's worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jac102389

Chicago

Post Number: 31
Anyone know how much it would cost me to get an alternator installed?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10546
i was quoted 100 bux when i asked a mechanic. i ended up doing it myself though.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 32
Anyone know how much it would cost me to get an alternator installed?

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 33
Is it complicated to do it yourself?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10550
depends johnny. my car was fairly easy cause it was easy to get to. where is the alt located in your car? is it deep in the engine or is it easy to get to.

if you can take pics of your engine and where the alt is, there are plenty of us here that can walk you through it.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 34
Oh so will putting a new alt in void my warranty i have?

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1080
It differs from car to car.On my vehicle I had to rip apart the interior to install my alt,it was a pain in the azz,especially doing it alone because I had to go in and out of the vehicle,back and forth,it took me like 2-3 hours to do it lol...on some vehicles I can do it in 15 minutes.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 36
Where do you live in chicago? The city? suburbs? If you live relatively close you think you could install my alt/subs/amp and such. I'll pay you of course.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10552
good idea. i would trust rob with my car anyday even though i've never met the dude in person. he really knows his way around the car engine.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 37
I just typed your zip code in mapquest and you live about 40 mins from me. I don't know when I'll be getting everything, but if you would be willing to do my install that would be great. If not thats fine, just an idea.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1084
Well I would much rather help you than charge you for an install,this way you can learn as we go.I'll also show you my system :-) Where do you live at,do you have tools and do you have the equipment?I have everything needed to do installs so if I have to I can even bring tools for us to use.Just let me know what's up and I'll let you know when I have free time,probably best to do everything during the weekdays because my weekends have been surprisingly busy lately :-)

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1085
Well I would much rather help you than charge you for an install,this way you can learn as we go.I'll also show you my system Where do you live at,do you have tools and do you have the equipment?I have everything needed to do installs so if I have to I can even bring tools for us to use.Just let me know what's up and I'll let you know when I have free time,probably best to do everything during the weekdays because my weekends have been surprisingly busy lately but I get up early as well so a weekend isn't too out of the question.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 38
I live in Glen Ellyn. I just got my car about a month ago so I don't really know much about car audio. I have no tools or anything because I have never worked on a car. I don't know when I am going to get everything but when I do I will be needing to install the HO Alt, probably two 12 inch subs, my amp, and a head unit. It could be a few months before I get everything or a few weeks so I'm not exactly sure yet. But if you would like to take the time and do that for me one day, I don't think I could be any more appreciative because that way in the future I'll hopefully be able to do what I need by myself.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1087
Yea it's a much better idea to watch and help with an install then to pay someone to do it for you.Another thing you need to keep in mind is that when you get your HO alt you're going to have to upgrade the wiring at that time as well with some thicker gauge wiring,I reccomend 0 gauge which can be add up in the costs as well.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

You aint wangin till y...

Post Number: 938
watch out for warranty issues...

we did everything we could to get a head fixed or replaced on an 03 mustang cobra due to the spark plugs only threading in about 2 threads on those pirticular heads.

it would have been fixed by warranty if the previous owners would have replaced the spark plugs with motocraft instead of bosch...

they literally sold a car under warranty with parts on it that voided the warranty. spark plugs...

new head is 2200...

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1088
Well as far as the warranty goes Tremor is right.If you install a HO alt it will void the warranty in most cases but if you keep all of your stock parts and you have a problem you can always change it back and just make it look as if the vehicle has never been modified in any way.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5974
That's a nice thing you're offering Rob. I'm sure some good Karma will come your way in the future. That's how things work.
Johny, keep your original alternator, and install it back if you have warranty issues. I installed my own alternators, not that hard. Just takes lot of manual labour. On the Mustang it was easy, but on the Acura, it was a major pain. It was located under the engine, and to get at it, it, I had to remove some parts and belts. The alternator, although located under the car, wouldn't come out through the bottom. Who was the idiot that designed that?
Anyhow, learn it well from Rob and pass along whatever skills to someone else in the future.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10559
yeah isaac, b, polo, and seth lowe helped me with me installing the ho alt.

didn't really know rob at the time:-(

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2463
Each warrantee is separated unless you have a problem with the elec system it won't void the mechanical warrantee. Also the bolts are marked either by a visible or an invisible die so if it is changed, they will know it.. Polo. :-O

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1096
I could have used some help myself when I did mine,an extra set of hands would have done wonders lol.I just did an alternator in a jeep like 2 weeks ago and it wasn't too fun,it was in the negative degrees lol and the alt my friend had was too big so...we had to go back and get the proper one and then my buddy left a spring pin in the alt so I had to pull it out again because a bolt wouldn't fit but he wanted to help because it was his car and he thought he knew what he was doing lol.It was a 4 hour project, it didn't help that you had to work on it from above but pull it through the bottom oh well,I could probably do it on those vehicles in 30 minutes now.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 39
Yeah I don't even have any wire right now. So ill get all that knukonceptz 0 gauge wire when i get everything else.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 40
So they will know if I replace the alternator, then if I have problems put the stock one back on?

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1099
Well I have heard that before Polo and you're right about the bolts showing indictations but that requires close looking.If he has a problem with something internally in the engine or drive train I don't think they would look at the alternator that closely.Yea,I'm running Knukonceptz wiring myself,it's pretty nice stuff and pretty flexible just don't get the two tone wire that they have it looks really funky when you see it in person lol,stick with the solid colors and you'll be good.Stick around here Johnny and you'll learn plenty and when the time comes you'll know exactly what you have to do to get everything installed.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1100
Well I have heard that before Polo and you're right about the bolts showing indictations but that requires close looking.If he has a problem with something internally in the engine or drive train I don't think they would look at the alternator that closely.Yea,I'm running Knukonceptz wiring myself,it's pretty nice stuff and pretty flexible just don't get the two tone wire that they have it looks really funky when you see it in person lol,stick with the solid colors and you'll be good.Stick around here Johnny and you'll learn plenty and when the time comes you'll know exactly what you have to do to get everything installed.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 41
Is this all of the wiring/cables that I will need?

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM-AK0

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL1/0BL (Do I need more than one of these?)

If this isn't all, what else is there?

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1104
Well the best way to know how much and what you'll need is to measure.You have to change the power wire from your alt to your battery to a thicker gauge and then you have to upgrade your ground wire from your engine to the chassis and also the ground wire from your battery to the chassis.It may be more than you need but I would personally get 20 feet of 0 gauge wire just for the upgrade of the BIG 3.Remember it's always better to have too much than too little.Then you need to get wire to run from your battery to the amplifier itself and the length is all dependant on where you decide to place your amp.After you get wire you have to figure out how many wire terminals you need which are the ends you clamp onto the bare wire itself to mount or bolt the wire to something.You're going to need a fuseblock as well like the one showed in your link.There are others out there so don't limit yourself to that one or that kit alone,the wire from Knukonceptz is great but you can get any fuseblocks/holders and wire terminals anywhere.I would reccomend drawing a diagram of the way you want your setup before you order anything so that way you'll be sure to order everything you need at once and not miss something.I can possibly help you with that diagram later on after work but I can't draw anything up here.Keep in mind that charging systems can be a bit costly,I've spent around 1400 dollars on mine alone :-( I do have extra batteries though so that's where a good chunk of that price came from.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5978
If you'll be working with car audio in the future, then just get a roll of power wire. It's cheaper that way. I bought 500' of it.
Don't forget the ends for the power wires.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1121
500 feet of 0 gauge would be expensive.

Bronze Member

Chicago

Post Number: 44
Yeah I am definitely not going to be doing that. And Rob, when you say draw a sketch, do you mean sketch a drawing of your car and place everything in the locations in which you plan to put everything?

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1124
No,I just meant like a diagram to give you an idea of the things you need.

Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1125
Well if you're going with the massive amp, it looks like it has pretty big inputs for the power and ground and I don't think you would need to strip too much off of the 0 gauge to get it inside the amp so that's a start because you don't need to step the wire down to a thinner gauge.Well,if you're only gonna run a single batt that helps your pocket as well.If you have AIM message me on there,my Screen name is Getripped84.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us