New with car audio need help

Bronze Member
Username: Djhasanicesoundsystem

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 19
i need to anything and everything to know about car audio like what everything means and what is the good stuff and what isnt cause i think i got ripped off on my sound system. any thing that will help me figure all this sh1t out would be appriciated

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3642
whatd you buy and how much did you pay...

and give us some specific questions and im sure we'll help

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 339
Start reading these sites:

http://www.bcae1.com/
http://www.wickedcases.com/tutorials/index.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about car audio.

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 , VR1000D 15= overcomp...

Post Number: 1710
stick to one post guy no need to make a new thread every minute. there is no best its what u like, normally the loudest isnt the prettiest if u want pretty go to a pageant. read more and post less so you can learn. we all mention what the good stuff is and aint so read!

check out these sites:
BCAE
the12volt.com

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 22
its 2 12" kicker comp vr subs and an alpine amp that i really dont know what kind(ill put pics) but it has 350watt rms and a dual bow sealed
image/bmpUpload
amp.bmp (72.3 k)

image/bmpUpload
SUB.bmp (51.3 k)

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 294
how much did u pay? was it new or used?

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 23
i spent about 575 with instalation and cables everything

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 295
iouch.. i would say yes

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 24
new

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 176
well its not really getting ripped off but you could have gotten it cheaper at my local store 1 12" CVR goes for a bill 30 so two would be 260 and a box usually around another bill so thas 360 an install 140 so thats 500 and i dont know how much that alpine amp goes for but without the amp it would have cost you 500 at my shop but online you can get two CVRs for 160 shipped and a box for around 60 and install it yourself for free so that would have only been 220 compared to 500

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 177
i forgot cables but still thas just another 60 at the most

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 40
ok then thanks the amp cost me 200 so i guess i did get a good deal.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Hit you in the chest m...

Post Number: 1447
^^ Don't kid yourself. You bought low end products with (I would assume) a sh!tty pre-fab box, and some 8 or 10 gauge wire. You could have gotten A LOT nicer subs, box and amp for the same price.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2081
stores need to make money. plain and simple. you didn't get ripped off. You just didn't know anything. So in a way, you ripped yourself off. Research first, research again, and again and again and again, then buy.

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 237
He did okay for buying brand new stuff with warranty, with no knowledge on how to build boxes and install the stuff himself. Peace of mind and supporting the local car audio industry is worth extra money for some people.....I spent $600 cdn for a amp from etronics with no serial number, when I could have gotten it for $700 locally with warranty. Never again.......

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 43
thank you and back then i just wanted something to thump a little and look good doing it. so in a way i guess i didnt rip myself off its just that i made a bad choice.

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 45
but now i have this place to rate and find better and better stuff for my sound system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
You've got dual 4 ohm subs right? so that amp is putting out 400 rms to two subs. if you can get a second amp at a decent deal, you're gonna have each amp putting 600 watts to each sub.....hell if you can get another amp from the same place for $200, that's way easier than selling yours for peanuts and buying an 800 watt amp. and you'll have more power.

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 46
so i could hook up each sub individualy with the same amp i have now and it would sound and hit harder??

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
they're dual 4 ohm subs right? so wired together, they'd be 4 ohm (2 voice coils in parallel makes 2 ohm, both subs together series makes 4 ohm) and that amp is 400 watts at 4 ohm. if you had 2 of those amps, you'd wire the voice coils on each sub in parallel for 2 ohms, and that amp is 600 watts at 2 ohms. so instead of 200 watts per sub, you'd be getting 600 per sub. that'd make a HUGE difference for $200 plus a wiring kit. You might even have to keep the gain down a bit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
They might be dual 2 ohm though....if that shop you bought from knows what they were doing then I'm sure they would have sold you subs that are optimum for that amp....in which case you'd only be going from 300 watts per sub to 400 per sub with a second amp....

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 48
well would it make them louder and hit hareder??

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
if they're dual 2 ohm subs, you'd have a bit of an increase. if they're dual 4 ohm subs, they're gonna be louder and hit way harder. Can you find out what they are for sure?

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
AND I'm going by your post in amplifiers....saying your amp is a mrp-m650. that's not a 350 watt amp and it's not a crappy amp. it's 400 watts at 4 ohm and 600 watts at 2 ohm

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 50
ya i will call the place and ask them if they can tell me what they sold me and they better or im taking them back and getting something that works even better that every one here would suggest and i would car how much to spend.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
It doesn't sound like you got ripped off. And be careful what advice you take from here. Alpine makes good amps and kicker cvr's are hard hitting subs. For someone with little experience and knowledge like you, buying from a local shop isn't necessarily a bad thing even if you're paying an extra hundred or two. You have someone to complain to if you blow a sub or amp, and a certified install. Ebay and online vendors come with NO factory warranty, and you're dealing with problems over the phone and e-mail, and in my experience, they aren't to eager to help.

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 53
i see so then i should just purchase everything locally and learn everything from them or what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
I buy locally and learn from here, or other forums, reviews, etc. You're not gonna get a good product review from a shop, because they're obviously going to talk up whatever's in stock. And buy from whatever you're comfortable with. I don't buy everything locally, just the more expensive stuff like electronics and speakers. I have bought stuff like higher end stinger wiring, fuse holders, etc. online just because there's no risk in it not working, or frying when it gets to you. But I have trouble spending hundreds on high end electronics with no warranty, or even a guarantee that it'll work. Like I said before, I spent $600 on an amp from etronics.com, and it came to me with the serial numbers peeled off.

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 55
d@mn that really sucks but does it work right and good

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 56
ok do u know how to re size photos that you have taken and make them so they will fit the criteria for the forum?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1135
you can use paint, adobe photoshop, any photo editor will do the trick really...

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 57
ok then ill try that stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
yeah, it works fine. The only reason they do it is so the product can't be traced back to the supplier that sold it to an unauthorized dealer, or they'll be in sh!t with the manufacturer. Luckily they forgot to take the birth sheet out of the box which had the s/n on it. I sent a few e-mails to different areas of Alpine with the s/n, just to let them know. The big thing you gotta worry about is some companies stamp the internals of their equipment, like I read JL stamps it somewhere under the voice coil of there W7's, and unauthorized retailers or their suppliers will actually dismantle the sub to remove it, then glue the thing back together.....

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 58
now that is fu<king bu11sh1t man. ok i will never buy an amp or sub off the internet

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
Yeah, I'll probably get ripped on for that comment...and I'm sure there's plenty of positive online transactions, but I'm not the type to gamble on that kind of money, and one bad experience was enough.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 1140
^^^ you might have a slight limit on options for equipment then lol. as long as you buy from an online authorized dealer, there wont be a problem

Bronze Member

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 60
do you know what kinda brand that omega sub or what ever its called name is cuz i like those they seem to be pretty nice and loud

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
I'm in a big enough city that there's plenty of dealers for a lot of companies. And yeah, I'd buy from any online dealer that's authorized, but there aren't very many of them. Crutchfield is the only one that sells Alpine and won't ship to Canada due to territory restrictions, JL doesn't authorize anyone online, and I'm sure most others are few and far between too. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Kicker. But they're all around the msrp anyways, and can't go below the factory authorized price. So you're not saving anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us