10" subs for slot ported enclosure

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 358
So I've been running all audiobahn bass till this point. A2300HCT amp, which is great and 2 flame subs. I've heard many other subs before and these are a great bargain, EXCEPT for the fact that the blow easily. I have a slot port box, with 1.3 cu. ft. per side and slot size is about 4in by 10in. I'm looking to upgrade the subs. I need something that would sound good in my slot ported box, be reliable, have good SQ and can also get loud. I also need something that doesn't need tons of power to get loud even though my amp can deliver it(charing system isn't great and i'll wire the subs into a 4ohm load if needed). Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg, so something within a reasonable price range is good.

Silver Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 138
what do you consider an arm and a leg?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 359
$400-$450 for 2 is about right. Of course I'm buying on ebay, so keep that in mond since prices there are lower, meaning I can afford more :-)

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1461
i got some 10's in my ride now!!! woooo not bassless anymore... cant wait till these 9500's ship :-) ummmm 10s.... you cant build a new box? Its kind of hard to find subs that will sound really good in the same enclosure as the last sub did.. except when you go with subs that make their next line basically drop in's for the old series of subs... but either way it will still work.. what is that tuning at then on that box? that would make it a lil easier to find somthin to fit it.

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 140
http://www.tcsounds.com/tc1000.htm

I think they would do well. As far as the box... you may have enough left over to grab up a new one (check out my profile for links!)

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 360
I believe somewhere i heard it mentioned that it's tuned at 45Hz, and I could be very wrong. Here's the link to my box anyway...

http://www.proboxrocks.com/superbass/212SPB.shtml

I checked out TC sounds and subs look great. My question is, why so cheap? Also, any other suggestions so that I have a few choices?

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 148
ouch!

I'd look into a new box.

The TC woofers are on sale... they have the power to do that, they are the ones who actually manufacture the woofers for other companies (see www.soundsplinter.com ).

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1462
^new box..

45Hz is basically wha they use when you want max SPL from MOST subs.. like SPL comps so you wont really have any SQ with it = lows suck, and you might burn the sub out when it would try to play the lows for to long\to much power, without the low enough tuning

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 362
Well, I actually think the box sounds pretty good. Any way I can make it work without blowing the subs that I would get?

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 356
Mark has my respect because not only is he a cool guy who knows his sh!t, but he didn't try to sell one of his boxes right there ^^^^ like 99% of us would have. That is very cool in my book.

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 163
You wont automatically blow them... but I dont think you realize what you are missing with a box built to that spec.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 363
I've sent an email asking what the box is tuned to so I know for sure. If it really is 45Hz, I'll do my best to get rid of it. I was also recommended elsewhere to get 2 digital designs 2510's...any opinion on those?

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 168
Haven't had my hands on either, but going from spec, the TC's would be preferable. The cost on the DD's is likely higher than the TC's, too.

Gold Member

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1466
i didnt mean they would automatically blow lol, it would most likly happen over a perior of time if they cant stand the lows in such a high tuned box.. the subs could be built well enough to take it but.... it still wont sound the best tho.. But you should REALLY REALLY consider a new box if 45Hz is right

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 221
The DD's and the TC's are both EXCELLENT subs. You can't go wrong with either one. Mark is right, the DD's will be more expensive. Either way, I believe you will be happy. Many people say its 50%box 50%sub, some say its 90%box 10%sub, and everywhere in between. But the point is the box is just as important as the sub itself. Invest in a good box. With a box tuned to 45hz you are missing alot of the music. Ported boxes have a rather quick roll-off below tuning. Look at the link in Marks profile, great boxes. If you feel like that is too much to spend, perhaps you can build your own box, we can walk you through that. It is not as hard as you think. It might take some time if it is your first box. But it is worth it. Also, that audiobahn amp's dampening factor will contribute to negative sound quality. In the future, you might look for a better amp as well.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 369
Ok I just ordered 2 TC-1000's dual 4ohm and I'm pretty happy with myself for doing so. Also, the 180amp HO alternator is coming soon. I'd like a ported box for them built to spec, any ideas how/where I can get this done without paying tons? I prefer not dealing with anyone directly, but rather through a 3rd party like eBay or maybe their store (if they have one).

Silver Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 187
www.thecaraudiobox.com is my "store" of sorts :-)

Throw a quote my way, make sure you put that you are from the ecoustics forums.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us