Need to know what has changed

Username: Hayabuddha

Post Number: 3
If this looks like a repost to you, I'm sorry, but my original posted today about an hour ago doesn't show up on the board list for me.

I used to sell/install high-end audio in late 80s and early 90s and stockpiled a bunch of stuff I
knew I wanted to build a system out of...never did get components, though. Now that I find myself
finally nearing an install on it, I need to find out what the hell has been going on with the
front-stage part of the industry the last 10 years...I come back to find lots of
companies/lines that have sold or cratered in quality, etc.

Speaking strictly from a front-stage standpoint and from what I've gathered, it looks like Morel
and Dynaudio are still themselves, but a/d/s, Diamond and Boston Acoustics have fallen off. What
has happened with Oz, clif and any other lines? Who are Rainbow, CDT and DLS? Any other
recommendations? What is the current stance on Image Dynamics and/or compression drivers?

For reference, here's what I have ready to go in. Please note that all Soundstream is prior to their
move to Blue Ravine, CA so they could throw all the bad product they started making into the
ravine itself when it came back from the customer.

* Soundstream Class A 10.0 amplifier to push (4) Soundstream SS-10R Velvet Hammer subs
* Soundstream Class A Picasso amplifiers (2) for front stage
* Alpine DigitalMax fiber-linked head-end
-> 1310 Receiver/controller
-> 5959s CD shuttle (quad Burr Browns)
-> 3681 Time & Freq Processor
-> 3362 EQ-XOver-Ambience Processor
* Soundstream SL1 solid-silver RCAs

I'm looking to match some components to this that will help me achieve an accurate, neutral-to-warm
sound quality system that can still show balls on serious bass lines.

Any help would be appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3238
dls iridums are supposed to be nice. also alteraudio has a good deal on some high end CDT products if you look a few post down

also rainbow are some nice speakers in all price ranges and even there bottom line stuff is nice, all hand made in germany. for rainbows PM 6spdcoupe on caraudio.com

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the input, Mat. I've seen some Rainbow and DLS stuff advertised...still trying to find out what I can about a/d/s, Oz, clif and others.

Any other input?

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1453
yeah if you're interested in CDT just PM me or email me at sales@alteraudiousa.com

ADS IMO is not the same no matter what people say. They are good speakers still but have a DEI hint to them that really just bothers me. I wasn't impressed with one of their rep vehicles in NC for all he said it was worth. OZ is still a great company to get stuff from. Clif, well not too sure with them, I still think is funny they try and use Clif Design Techonologies as their name. Very close to CDT but its not. I've heard a couple customer cars with them and not too impressive. Comparable to mid level store products but nothing special.

CDT has released some new and quite impressive drivers. I'm waiting to see if I should order another set for myself. but if you got questions feel free to ask.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the input, alter.

I figured a/d/s would need to be 642cs/641cs (whichever was last American made) or older. Clif had some decent stuff for a short while, but don't know if it improved or just stagnated because I can't find much about it. The Diamond Audio stuff was just starting to bring out some decent product when I left the business, so I'm not too sure one where it's gone from there given the price of some of their gear right now.

Dynaudio and Morel are likely out of my price range right now, so I'm not sure where to look. What would you compare the CDT and Rainbow products with that I might know a bit more about? Are these companies that have a known speaker engineer behind them or that broke off from another manufacturer?

Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1459
Rainbow has been around for a while and CDT uses Vifa drivers. I believe CDT split but I can't ever get a solid answer from them about it cause Clif's Design technology sure does have some similarities with CDT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us