Myth Busters

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11444
The subwoofer one is on right now...i have seen it a couple of times..pretty good

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana DD 9515d~~]...

Post Number: 4416
If you watch close...you will see ALOT of IA 20.1 amps at the SPL comp they go to :-)

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 392
ya but i wish it was a real subwoofer that played music. or it would be cool if they got like 10 18" subwoofers and loaded up the car

Bronze Member
Username: Sheriff

Post Number: 31
thanks man ima watch it

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3581
thanks chauncey...ive wanted to watch this one

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 words

Post Number: 3627
The one where they create a 60" sub linked to the tranny?

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3582
yessir paul

Gold Member

Post Number: 3629
OK. Wasn't impressed. Fun to watch, just too many questions and what if's.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3484
there episode is pretty cool...and yea it would have been cool if it was musical

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 797
What is the myth they're trying to prove or disprove?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4418
"Can a sound system DESTROY a car"

That is what they were 'testing'.

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1835
nope, its >Can sound destroy a car< . oh and btw that "sub" hit 161db at 16hz....now thats a low note

Gold Member

Post Number: 1836
btw....drove by Pro-tech Concepts today, they carry Phoenix Gold....wonder if they have a Xenon400.1 and how much it would be....Hey Canaan....does Desaird Pawn carry PG and do they have a 400.1? if so how much?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1683
I'm with Yanks, I've always wanted to see this one. Thanks chauncey

Gold Member

Post Number: 4420
Hold on...Pro-tech has PG????

We have "Authorized Dealer" status locked in this area. (I thought)

Oh...and not, we dont have any x400.1's. They dont make em anymore. The last time our rep was by, I even asked if he could get me a refurb...he said it was very unlikely.

We have a few used amps coming out that might fit the bill for ya though.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3584
yea 161 at 16hz is kinda rediculous...they shuold have tried it with real subs getting power from amps and not from the transmission...cool to watch none the less tho

Gold Member

Post Number: 4422
Wolfman,

what is your AIM?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1837
REAUDIOBASS

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

Memphis HPO 15 Wangers..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 1230
yea..i love mythbusters..some smart and creative dudes on there...nice sub they made.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

SSX, Tenneki US of A

Post Number: 1394
They should have made a more durable surround, that was the issue, because that sub was doing some damage, if i remember correctly

Silver Member
Username: Dmm2005

DD Audio ORION, Warren Count... USA

Post Number: 569
i hate how they show the audiobahns so much at that comp...some kinda scientists.

Bronze Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 55
RE-VISIT I hope....man o man i hope! Thats not a terrible design, in theory it could produce retarded DB levels and I tip my hat to them for coming up with that idea...

but they half assed it, and it fell apart instantly. I bet if they could get that bad boy up to the 40-50hz range, it would destroy whatever car they put it in.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1684
^^Tell them that. They read emails about people complaining about the myths that could be proven true or something they did wrong. Sometimes they have a special episode where they redo old myths requested by viewers. I think you go to discovery.com

I am sure we are not the only ones who would like to see that redone in the 40-50hz range. That would be awesome!

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 638
so... I missed the show... what was the final point of it all?

does bass ruin cars? yes or no?

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 57
that episode made me sign up and post about a re-visit lol.... man I hope they do it!!!!

"does bass ruin cars? yes or no?"

I've heard everything from "the bass cracked my engine block" to "the bass made my wheel fall off".... dont ask... frankly, NO as long as you drive a car thats not held together with elmers school glue it wont break anything. The glass may break on rare occasions, but thats 99% of the time mostly atmospherical... or you have a car held together with elmers glue.

There are the exceptional setups that are just *that* loud... but generally theydo everything they can to *keep* the car from falling apart, as that would result in a possible loss if stuff breaks in the early runs.

Now...

the mythbusters setup, IMO at least, is perfectly capable of creating enough pressure to blow the windows out of a car... if they do it 100%, I could see it happening.

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 641
what steps are typically taken to "keep it" from falling apart?

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 58
checkout www.termpro.com for that info :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3654
They hit 16hz because of the speed of the tranny's driveshaft. To hit 40-50hz would require an insane drive shaft speed. Not possible. At least for their "tree house" project.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11448
^^^Same thing i was thinking...they would have to blow up a better car...because i didnt think that bmw? would be able to produce enough speed

Username: Mrcoddy10

Post Number: 1
If I remember correctly they did blow out the sun roof and that was the end of all the pressure and it did look like the trunk was gonna pop open. So even if they were to get the sub up to 40-50 hert range it would do nothing more becase all the air presure would escape from the hole the sub made before getting to that point. What I would want to see is if they sealed that car up air tight and tried to blow out a window or something, that would be cool!

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 659
I would also like to see them get it up to the 40-50 hz range and really see some distruction out of that thing. It looked like it was going to do some damage for a little while untill the sub ended up falling apart.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3850
the sub destructed itself due to the cone not going up and down smoothly... if they had the drive shaft hooked up to something that raise up and down perfectly straight, which can be done i just dont know how to explain it by typing.... it could go alot further than it did. it would be pretty insane. i wish they redid it too. i think they could really brake records if they went all out with like a kevlar and carbon fiber cone and everything lol

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

SSX, Tenneki US of A

Post Number: 1415
The car they used a an 87 300SD turbo diesel. My dad had a couple of them. Drove them until they had over 300,000 miles, haha.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us