Canaan, Mat Dope, anyone else who wants to help...

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 787
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/324473.html
Okay class, picking up from where we left off last time,^^^^, if i buy that KLM amp kit, and the BC1024 distrib block, you guys were saying i need some extra 4ga wire as well. How many feet should i buy? It's fairly cheap so if i have a little extra when it's all said and done, no big deal.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 1018
Dude if you don't know how many feet of wire you need you probably shouldn't be hooking up your own system.Please find someone to help me so you don't blow up your stuff.As far as how much wire you need,measure it yourself lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 790
I can't argue with you on that rob...i don't feel very confident about the whole install thing...originally i planned on paying som1 else to do it but some people on this forum kinda poked and prodded me about it saying it's not that difficult.

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 , VR1000D 15= overcomp...

Post Number: 1660
DO NOT PAY SOMEONE ELSE! you will never learn if you dont try. DIYers rule! measure it and buy extra just in case but do it yourself dont let people tell you not to or you will always need help for the rest of your life.

the fist time you got laid did you get online and ask some1 how to stick it in the hole? i hope not. more than likely you tried it till it worked and car audio is like gettin laid you learn as you go! now go get laid!

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 646
^^Haha. I love the comparison.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1665
thanx stinker!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3202
basically the 1/0 kit is i think 17 feet long?

your amps will only be a few feet from the distro block so maybe 2 feet for each amp and that should be tops and then another 2 feet tops for grounds so basically the most you should need is 8 feet just measure where you plan on putting the distro block to the amp placment and then from the amp to the nearest grounding spot

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1037
My battery is in the front, my amp is in the back and I drive a cherokee. I got 15ft and had PLENTY left over

Bronze Member
Username: Spkrman

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 28
but perhaps if you asked online you would be better prepared and going in the hole wouldnt be such a crap shoot... no pun intended.

then there is always paying a professional, then you are ensured its done right and done the first time... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1666
but if you always pay a proffesional you end up not knowing how to do it urself and alot broker!

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 29
Far from true! Drop it off to a pro, it'll take less time and be done right the first time. A risk of DIY is blowing stuff up, having to go back and redo things, not setting it up for peak potential...etc etc.

Before you DIY you have to look at the cost of your time, always assume there will be unseen costs, always assume something will go wrong, and always assume you'll break something.

I DIY things because I enjoy it...but to someone who doesnt have that attitude, its very frustrating when things go wrong and you have to take it to a pro to set things straight, and then it costs more to fix.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10323
if its your first time, have someone do it and watch them. get a feel for what you need to do. don't mess with your stuff the first time.

i paid to have my system installed the first time. the dude at the stereo shop was cool enough to let me watch him install my system. i didn't learn the whole thing then but i did get a good idea on what i needed to do. later on i was able to do it on my own cause i kept chaging things around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
i see your point, but when i first started in this "hobbie" i was always paying for my stuff to get done right, then i figured it couldnt be too hard and i started reading and learning and then i applied what i learned to hands on. it get easier and you learn as you go. also its a good time on a saturday to have a friend over hookin up a system drinkin some beer and BS'ing.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 383
I agree with Mark, I have seen some butchered work by DIYers and it made it take longer for me to fix it. Also, I had to charge them more because it costed me more time and money because of broken/missing clips; missing wires, bolts, screws; etc. If you know what you are doing than go for the DIY option. JMO

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 384
Sorry Chad Lee I agree with you as well, I just missed your post.

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 32
Its kinda like racing...

You can pay someone to build/install/tune your motor, and it'll be awesome.

You can DIY and possibly screw things up to the point of the motor never working.

Or you can DIY and know your motor inside and out, which will make future changes and upgrades cheaper... and perhaps the upfront cost was also offset if things went smoothly.

In short, richard kinda validated this too, if you plan to screw around later, DIY is a good way to go... but if you just want to enjoy it and never touch it, let someone else hold the liability for mistakes.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10711
both r valid points

also do consider how mechanically inclined u r since there r very brainy guys who cant even use a screw driver but good @ other stuff so u need to know ur own ability .....

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3212
its not that hard to install some basic stuff! come on guys unless you have well basically no common sense or idea of how a system is set up and works it shouldnt be a problem.

there are plenty of online tutorials and plenty of people here to help.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, USA

Post Number: 2875
DIY, watch a video on the internet on it
all your doin is running wires
its not hard
who ever tells u its hard is lying
the first time i got a system i installed it myself
and i did it right
u have to be an idiot not to be able to hide wires

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
wow didn't expect such a response...some of you think very adamantly it would be a mistake to try and do it myself....while others say i'm a pu$$y if i don't try. I think i'll assess the situation myself when i have all the equipment ready.

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 39
"also do consider how mechanically inclined u r since there r very brainy guys who cant even use a screw driver but good @ other stuff so u need to know ur own ability ....."

Nobody says *dont* DIY... if you think you can do it, you probably can... but if you dont go into it properly prepared and with confidence, your likelyhood of failure is much higher.

Running wires involves popping panels/the dash, possibly removing the seats, possibly drilling holes, possibly detaching hoses etc in the engine compartment... etc etc... while not "difficult" there is alot that can potentially be screwed up if you don't pay attention. Running wires in particular is something you just have to have experience to be able to do quickly and without error.

Gold Member

DD 9515f, USA

Post Number: 2877
" Running wires in particular is something you just have to have experience to be able to do quickly and without error."

then take your time
no one here is in a hurry

"possibly removing the seats, possibly drilling holes, possibly detaching hoses"

******WORST CASE SENERIO*******
is wut u just mentioned, i have never had to do that for the cars i have installed systems for
from trucks to suvs to cars

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3217
^^^ same here didnt ever have to remove anything like that even to hide 1/0.

just plan out everything fisrt and youll be able to do it.

Bronze Member

Chi town, IL U S A

Post Number: 42
never drilled a hole in a firewall to run wire??? Must not have dealt with many cars or big wire.

Running 1/0ga in some cars entails removing the seats, because it just cant tuck under the panels along the door, gota run through the middle of the car.

Gold Member

DD 9515f, USA

Post Number: 2887
ive ran plenty of 0 guage wire
and like i sed drilling is a ***WORST CASE SENERIO***
thiers holes alover the place if not i just run it under the car and secure it properly.
And as for removing the seats, how many runs are you doin??? you can fit one wire under the carpet next to the trim panels???

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3220
yeah i have done installes in a few different cars and always had a grommet to run the power wire threw. i know there are alot of cars where you wont have that luxury, but it seems like in most cases there is a place for it.

and maybe were just talking different cars because i dont doubt you but 1 run of 1/0 fits fine under the trim pannel if you keep it tucked down in the corner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
okay so heres the deal, i'm a pretty smart guy. Good grades in school, sharp socially, catch on to thinks fairly quickly...i just think you guys don't understand when i say i have zero experience with installs...i mean truly ZERO experience. My original question was how many feet of 4ga to buy and rob said just measure...i don't know from where to where i should measure!?!?!? from where the amp will be to the battery? amp to HU? amp to ground? wtf is a ground anyway? I am the donkey of all donkeys when it comes to car audio.

NOW who thinks i should DIM!?!?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10719
well dude ^ y not simply get some string or thread & run it as u would wire then remove it & measure & so TAADAAAAAAA! u know how many feet of wire to run .......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us