"Cheating" to wire 4-ohm load with two subs...

Username: Dubbing_vw

Post Number: 1
Running two Type-R 1242D subs, looking to wire them at 4-ohm load. Question is, since these subs have the 'jumpers', can I wire the second sub off the first sub (second diagram).

Basically, would the second diagram create an equal 4-ohm load...?

Thanks for all help, don't want to mess-up my subs...

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 365
What difference does it make. Its going to be at 4 ohms either way. I guess what I am saying is that it don't matter which of these two you do. Will be the same either way, just more complicated and time consuming to do the second suggestion. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5937
Gary, your 2nd diagram doesn't make sense. Look at it carefully, you're connecting 2nd sub to a shorted out VC. You shouldn't get any sound.
Stick to the 1st "correct" wiring diagram.

Post Number: 2
So that second diagram is definetly a 4-ohm load on the amp & subs? (I edited that RockfordFosgate diagram)

It matters because I have these subs wired up at 1-ohm load currently, and they wired EXACTLY like the diagram below. Because they are wired like below my wires are only to certain lengths, it would be 20x easier to wire it as the second diagram above indicates, so I wouldn't need to splice anything or cut wires, just switch the wire terminals.

How they're wired now:
Upload

BTW, it's a KX1200.1 mono amp...

Post Number: 3
Sorry Isaac, missed your post before I posted.

That's what I figured... but like I said above, my subs are wire exactly like that 1-ohm load, so I was trying to find an easier way to wire it at 4-ohm load.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5938
Your 2nd post makes sense now. The reason why it works is, cause if you inspect the wirings, all the pos and neg never short out.
For a 4ohm load, you either follow the 1st diagram, or wire the VCs in paralle to itself, then connect them in series for 4ohms. There are NO other combination.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5939

Post Number: 4
Okay, so the second 4-ohm diagram WILL work, then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 366
Just so you know there is a way to do the first diagram without spicing wires.

Post Number: 5
If you could, please elaborate on how I can do the first diagram without splicing wires? I'm using 8ga. wiring for the subs and there's no way two wires will fit in the sub's wire terminals (if that's the way you were going for), even one wire requires a bit of effort to get it to fit into the terminal...

This is exactly how I'm wired now at 1-ohm. How can I wire it up to 4-ohm without splicing wires? I cannot run new wires because they are all siliconed up, and since my wires are so sort, I can't solder inside the box; just splicing & twisting wires is a hack-job so what are my options?
Upload

Barely fitting one 8ga. into terminals...
Upload

Post Number: 6
?

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Why run it at 4 ohms? Isn't that underpowering those subs? Is 8 guage wire necessary for speaker wire? I used 10 guage speaker wire and put two into one terminal with a little bit of work. In your case you might have to custom fab a "male" terminal for the ends of the wires to stick into the "female" whole on the sub. Then you can put one terminal on two wires. JMO

Post Number: 7
Right now there's just too much power with it wired at 1 ohm....as crazy as it sounds.

I've got Type-X 6 1/2's components in the front and Type-X midbass woofers is the rear; with the KX600.4 Kicker hitting 150rms per channel to power the Type-X's. Each Type-R sub is in an individual sealed 2.5 cubic ft. chamber.

Unless I've got the Type-X speakers in the cabin crankin', the subs are just too much. At normal listening levels, the subs are pretty much just 'idling'...with gain all the way down. Bass boost is less than a 1/8 turn from off.

In order for the subs to not be over-powering during low frequencies in the music, I have to turn the subs down to the point where they practically aren't even on in other portions of the music...so I have heavy bass in some segments and no bass in others where there isn't much lowend frequencies.

So this is why I've decided to run at 4 ohm load. I want to be able to have my subs actually 'working', rather than just idling, so I have a flatter spectrum and can turn up the subs so I have bass through out the length of music.

Does this make any sense, or do I sound like I'm mumbling...sorry if I am?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5941
Gary why don't you wire it like the first diagram?
If not, then look at your last post, you have pos to pos and neg to neg on each sub. That will give you 2ohms per sub. Now take one pos from 1st sub and connect it to neg on 2nd sub. Then use the neg from 1st sub, and pos from 2nd sub to connect them to the amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10312
here is a way to wire your two subs to 4ohms.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2160
just buy some wire and do it right

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1035
^^^ agreed

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
I concur as well!

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10705
i like how chad illustrated the point with his former favourite brand .........

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1388
gary your second diagram wont work... .your shorting the sub out... its like playing wheres waldo... do u see it?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1389
audiobahn!!!!!FTMFW......

::cough cough::POS::cough cough::

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10319
lol yeah rovin. i remember seeing that diagram when i used to browse the audiobahn sites cause i thought it was one of the top companies at that time. seriously. rofl.

you had to bring my dark past back. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5942
Actually that picture is the HCT series. I've tested it before, good amp. Gave plenty of bass.

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 644
HCT series is very power hungry though. Puts out power but wants a lot in return.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us