Can i run two amps to one sub?

Username: Loud_proud

Post Number: 1
can i run two amps to a kicker l7 12" Dual Voice Coil! one to each Voice Coil?

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 204
Yes. One to each coil. But why?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 297
What amps? it depends on if they are strappable

Post Number: 2
i was looking at 2 infinity ref 7521A at 284w rms at 2 ohms. it was part of the design in my car to have two amps so i would do it that way if possable.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3824
M.S. hes talking about running 2 separate amps... when you strap an amp it is effectively turning it into one amp.

Post Number: 3
thanks well i dont think they are designed to be strappable but is ther a way of doing it?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 298
oh ok I see what you mean...

To run two amps not strapped you would have to make sure the settings (gain, HPF, etc.) are set EXACTLY the same on both amps.

But why would you even want to do that? It would be cheaper to get one amp that produces the power you need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Lewis, it is possible. But, you will need to match the gains on both amps. The only way to accurately do this is to use a DMM(digital multimeter).

Post Number: 4
because i wanted to have sevral of the same amps because these amps are a-b amps so can be used to power other speakers and i was going to have them in a line in the boot of my ride!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5931
For subs, you should really use class D amps unless you have HO alternator.
You mentioned "several" amps. You do know that every amp you tack on, it'll eat up more current right? One 1000w will require less power than 5 200w amps cause of power supplies involved.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
The difference in efficiency between A/B and D class amplifiers is around 15-20 percent.(in favor of the class D) Plus what Isaac said^^^^^.

Post Number: 5
ok thanks i will think about changing my idea! it sounds like a lot of work and money will have to be put in to get the looks i was arfter whitch is no the most important thing! would u recomend over powering slightly or under powering on the kicker l7?

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
What impendence are the voice coils. If dual 1 or 4 ohm, go with a zx750.1, maybe a zx1000.1 if your feeling lucky. The 750.1 will put out 850-900 rms. The 1000.1 would put out around 1200rms. I would stick to the 750.1. If its dual 2 ohm, run a 1 ohm stable amp that puts out between 750 and 1000 watts.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1364
Nick, when running seperate amps to each coil you will want to use more then a DMM, that gives you a pretty good idea on your power range but not 100% accurate. I have been around asking about 2 amps for one DVC sub.. the outcome was, unless you have a clamp meter and all the other equiptment needed, there is no way you are going to get EXACT output from each amp so both VC's wont see the exact power and that could cause a problem, alos that alot of amps of the same model have different outputs... like a kicker bitrthsheet can range from 200rms more then the last you seen, same model too.

Lewis, your best bet it to get one single mono block, will prolly cost about the same but be alot more efficient and trouble free. Class D FTMFW, btw Kicker amps are good, but pricy. If you are trying to save a few bucks id look into some other amps or used ones..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us