Enough Power?

Bronze Member
Username: Shaftofair

Post Number: 62
What is the difference between 2400 and 4800w when powering a subwoofer (LMS-5400)?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2426
About 3db... Remember those subs would sound like sh!t ported, only good sealed. Don't ask how I know this.. Has something to do with there extreme BL (motor strength) causes then to be PEAKY in a ported enclosure... Polo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Then do I really need that extra 3dB (headroom maybe) if the two amps I'm looking at are only $4 different in price? Does a watt doubling make the driver move in and out much more? The peak of one amp is half of the other. The peak for one would be 9600w while the other would be 9600w as well..so?

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2427
Peak wattage is a garbage meaurement! If they cannot post true RMS then the amp is too cheap if you ask me. When you double the RMS power and in the right setup you will really notice the difference in increased DBs. Be prepaired to upgrade the elec extensively..Polo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Hey hey hey I'm talking about Zapco type amps here...no worries on being too cheap. I was just reading the peak measurements that were buried in the specs. The 2400w has 9600 peak as well as the 4800w. These are well built amps and they are both underrated people have said. Since they're the same price, I wondered if the one with half the watts would sound any better?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I'll explain a little bit better.

The 2400w has higher slew rate, is double balanced, has 1/4 the THD, has a wattmeter, is flatter(2.7dB flatter) , has a higher S/N ratio(25dB higher), and has all around lower distortion.

The 4800w has 10x the damping factor (1000) and is single balanced.

Both have limiters and lights that tell when it's clipping the output, but the 2400w has an output limiter on it (over 4x the watts when it kicks on, hence the 9600 peak they state) which keeps it from clipping.

I have the option of a 4800w version (with better specs) of the 2400w, but it costs 4x as much..

Otherwise, they're about the same. Should I ditch the low distortion (and wattmeter!) for higher damp factor and twice the power, or should I stay with half the power and the big improvement in distortion?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
What gets me though is that say if I get that Rockford Fosgate Tk15kw then I could blast 30000w (one for every 2 vc's) and it would only be twice as loud as 3000w??? I guess this is why they say it's all in the install..

I think I've decided on the 2400w solution which is 4 of these with one on each 2 ohm voice coil giving 2400w total (prob more like 3kw) since I've already ordered the 606 to power the front stage. If you have any objections and think I should go the 4800w route tell me now.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2433
Multiple sub on a single amp will have a higher yield. Every time you double the power it usually yields in a 3db increase, same goes for adding subs. You need to power those subs properly so 1200 rms on each sub would probably be a better route but then again 2400rms to me would be even better, lol. Just remember, they need a sealed enclsoure! Polo. :-O

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
But TC Sounds recommends using PR's?? I have space limitations (still need to put groceries in there) so only 1 driver is all I can do.

I could put an 18" PRs on both sides to add weight down in the deep end or just put it in a small sealed box. My installer will do that anyway.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2434
Ohhh I got you, thought you were talking about 4 TCs, lol. I don't know if the PR will do the trick as for it would have to be weighted a lot the BL of the TCs are pretty strong. I would go with a medium sized sealed enclosure and use a single 2500 rms amp to power it. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
These PR's can get down to 4hz in tuning so I'm sure they can get pretty heavy if needed.

What's wrong with multiple amps on a driver may I ask (I know of efficiency)??

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2436
In efficiency it would be higher but the fact that no two amps are exactly alike make cause power differentation (sp) between the coils and maybe a degree of cancellation. I would go with a strapped duo or a single. Polo..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
How would this affect damping factor and distortion?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
I called the installer and they said they could match everything and maximize performance using all the equipment they have. This got me excited so I've decided to give each VC an amp.

I've ordered 4-301's (600w each, mainly for the wattmeter and low distortion) and pre-ordered 3 TC-VMP 18" PR's to handle the excursion of the 5400. They said they'll test and optimize it to be as clean and flat as possible with most reliability. I'm not sure what they're doing electrically, but they promised they're class-a.

How do you think it'll sound and how loud will it go? I would estimate since I've asked for deep extension below hearing they'll probably tune the radiators below 20hz(tunable range 4-24hz) , but I'm not sure.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2438
You asked an opinion and you are gonna do the opposite, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID ! Puting 4 amps on one sub in my opinion is stupid and for a shop to recommend it just tells you how much they don't know, lol. If you really want to know the truth, the TCs are nicely built subs BUT there application may not be what you are looking for. They are specifically designed for sealed boxes, not too many people buying them because ported boxes is where it is at. Sealed boxes are for audiophile-type/reserved people who really aren't looking for quantity of bass but quality. Adding PRs to the mix will off a little extra bass but not much and can be noisy especially putting 3 for one sub. I would ditch the sub for a real sub in which you can maximize a small ported that would out do the what you are planning and it would be much simpler. You also may want to find out how to do this all yourself so you are not soo green, the local shops will rip you off sooo bad that all you will be doing is shelling out your greeness, lol. Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us