OT Speakers

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 169
I was thinking of getting a 5x7 comp set for the rear of my car.
I have been looking at the following
MB Quart RCE 268 - http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-Quart-RCE-268-component-5x7-6x8-Pre-Rockford_W0QQitemZ260 083719644QQihZ016QQcategoryZ18800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ALPINE SPR-57LS TYPE R - http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SPR-57LS-TYPE-R-5x7-6x8-COMPONENTS-SYSTEM-NEW_W0QQite mZ300077572897QQihZ020QQcategoryZ14940QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
INFINITY KAPPA 680.7CS 5x7 - http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-KAPPA-680-7CS-5x7-6x8-270-W-COMPONENT-SPEAKER_W0QQi temZ280077296322QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14940QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just want some input on what the differences are between these comp sets are. I am looking for a smooth response and decent mid-bass. thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
:_(

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
bump

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 699
lol i feel your pain nick, no one wants to help me pick out components either. Everyone seems to think my budget is too low...i'm like, it is what it is, so help me get the best for it!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
It makes me sad. Everyone is so quik to make judgments on whats subs or amps to get. But when it comes to speakers, maybe I should go to another forum.

Silver Member
Username: Acevolkov

Springfield, Missouri United Stated

Post Number: 136
well if you want smooth response, you are going to have to go for the smaller cone. The smaller cone means that it takes less energy and time for the cone to move back and forth, therefore you can get quicker frequency changes. Also, the larger the speaker, the more prone it is to distortion. But you also have to consider what the cones are made out of. A treated paper cone will distort alot more than a kevlar re-enforced cone of the same size. For tweeters, the lighter the material, the better. what kind of wattage are you going to put into these speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Devastation101

Audioque SD2.5-ville, HENDERSON, NC VP of 15 Wan...

Post Number: 1054
I think it's mainly because speakers are really hard to just go and pick out. I mean honestly, I read reviews on certain speakers, but I actually like to go out and listen to what I'm looking for. Some people like to get speakers with good Mid-fills, some like to hear a lot of highs, its just all depending upon the ear that's listening! Nick, as far as your list I personally like the Kappas. They deliver a nice smooth and rich sound in the highs, real crispy in IMO. But that's just what I like!

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
I agree, but the same is true for subwoofers to a certain degree. I know the listening exprerience depends on the person and the vehichle. But I am looking for peoples experience with these brands and how they might compare, in general, with the other brands listed.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10652
why comps 4 the rear of a car ? - wont really make much sense IMO , use some good coax instead 4 rearfill ....

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Casey, a treated paper cone does mean more distortion if it is manufactured correctly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Treated paper cones are light weight, thus they can accurately reproduce transients in musical phrases. I drive a minivan. So these speakers are almost like the front stage for the people in the back, b/c vans are big.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10208
invest some good $$$$ on comps for upfront. that will give you all the sound you need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
They dont need to be terribly loud or high quality. I want comps so I can position the tweet so it wont discolour my front stage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
I like the comp set I have now, infinity perfet 6.1's, and I will be getting a new vehicle some time whis year. So no need to spend alot of money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Chad, I will be investing some $$$$$$$$$ in my next front stage. I want Dynaudio's system 360. But thats for my next vehicle.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10211
there you go. with that setup you don't need rearfill.

what i am trying to say is that if you have some nice front stage, why mix it with something that is mediocre from the rear.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
I just took lunch and my local car audio shop told me that the mb qaurts will prob give the cleanest response.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
The mb quarts auction says this
"When the Rockford Corporation purchased MB Quart I was worried about what would happen to the quality so I purchased a warehouse full of the German engineered speakers. These are the last true MB Quart that ruled the competition scene for so many years. These are the last speakers made before Rockford took over. This auction is for a pair: 2-crossovers, 2-midbass, and 2- tweeters. These speakers are brand new and in an un-opened box. Please see my other auctions for other sizes and models. I will be happy to answer any questions regarding this item, other equipment, or any questions you may have regarding the design of your system. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me at benlampo@cox.net. I have over 20 years of experience and would like to help you in any way that I can. Happy Bidding"
Is this true or does it sound like BS?

Silver Member
Username: Ars88

P.I.M.P , Pakistani/In... United States

Post Number: 491
ive always been wondering this ^^ if u dont put anything in the rears...doesnt that like kill surround sound? dnt wanna sound noob or anything but ive always wondered that (for watchin movies n all?)
(not tryin to hijak thread/if i do sry and ill bump it bak up :-))

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
i think i might grab these components from crutchfield and call it a day since they give you free installation gear like the adapter brackets which i need.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Hs5TWLiGVnP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=049RUA213

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
i've read some articles recently on the "no rear fill" theory and i can't give a technical explanation but i think it's just cause with car audio you're in a relatively small, confined space, as opposed to when your in your living room, or a theatre or something...so you don't need as many speakers

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1325
post in the speakers section you might get more responses

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
99% of the music we listen to in cars is recorded in stereo. that 2.0. We use crossovers to create a .1 channel(2.1) for the subwoofers. Rear speakers come in cars just to make the system louder and so the people in the back of the vehicle get the same exsperience as the people in the front. But, with a high end front stage, it will be plenty loud for everyone in the car. Plus, we, as car audio junkies, are very selfish and don't care if the guy in the back isn's hearing as good of a sound as us. My system is set up to sound best when sitting in either of the front seats. with time alignment, only one seating position gets the best sound. It is cheaper for car manufacturers to put 4 crappy speakers in a car with less power then a nice set with more power. My dads jaguar has a three way alpine component set up front and a pair of 8" subs in the back stock. But that is a high end vehicle. Rear fill is not needed, unless you want some 8's for extra midbass punch and can't fit them up front. But once you start getting up into the midbass frequencies, the ear is able locate the sound better. So mid bass's in the back might draw attention away from the front stage. Why do you think subs are in the back, thats where the room is, and bass is very hard to locate. This is b/c bass relies on reflection rather then direct radiation like mid range and tweeters do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
I did killa.

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crystal-SSX570-5-X7-Component-Coaxial-Speakers_W0QQitemZ1200 32341913QQihZ002QQcategoryZ14940QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Just found these. would these out perform the sets above? And would the titanium tweet be harsh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
http://cgi.ebay.com/MMATS-Pro-57CX-Car-Audio-Speakers-Coaxials-100-wrm-NEW_W0QQi temZ250065191059QQihZ015QQcategoryZ18800QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#eb ayphotohosting
Or these mmats?
Sorry, don't know much about speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1917
I would go with the cyrstals, and Titanium tweets can become fatiging if not imaged correctly, and /or at higher volumes. Best bet is to go to a couple of audio stores and hear them in person. Its hard to recommend speakers cause its very subjective to personal taste. I find some comps to sound tinny, or hollow, or shallow, or whatever so listening to em is the smartest way to choose. Once you decide on some, then shop around for them and check reviews for perfomance issues and costermer satifaction.

As far as front staging... I work at a concert venue during the summers and 90% of the shows I work my back is to the stage ( I gaurd the stage) so natural live music seems more alive to me if it comes from behind. I feel "blinded" with music hitting me from the front. But thats my experiance.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

Audioque Hd3, 15Thang USA

Post Number: 904
the mb are nice 5x7s off a amp i had em :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us