Batt in Trunk

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 530
Ok well I have been thinking about getting a new amp with about 1200 watts rms. I want to get a new battery in the trunk because I dont think the stock 130 amp alternator can support it all that great without it. So I have a 4 gauge kit in my car now. Would I have to upgrade that to 0 gauge going to the trunk and then to the spare battery. Also can I just ground the negative on the battery or do I have to make another run up to the front battery?

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 321
i would just get a alt then worry about battery. im upgrading to a 200amp and keeping my stock battery. if i were u i would just get a 250amp alt then worry about batt but you shouldnt need one if you get the alt

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
I know I should get the alt. But I am trying to be cheap about this. So its really the battery or else nothing.
These are the prices I got quoted from Irragi
180 $339
200 $359
220 $379
240 $399

So thats a little more than I want to spend thats why I decided battery. Better than nothing I figure and 130 stock isnt that horrible.

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 323
well my amp draws about 80amps and it is a 1000rms amp. so with ur alt already in ur car u prob have like 30-40 to give up and u prob need around 80. if the amp cant even give the power then theres no point for the batt

Silver Member

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 533
The battery will still help because I will not have the system at full draw all the time. And the time that I dont have it up all the way it will be charging the battery in the trunk. I know this isnt the best solution but I believe it will work fine in my case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
Didnt Bump.

Silver Member

Post Number: 542
Someone please help me on how to hook this up.

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

You aint bangin unless..., Il

Post Number: 869
ok ... just get some more 4 gauge... what ull do is put a batt. terminal on ur power wire going to ur amp and hook that to the + on the extra batt.. that gets u from the + on the front batt to the + on the back batt. then run a wire from the + on the back batt. (ull have 2 wires in ur + terminal) to the amp. run a wire from the - on the back amp to a ground in the chassis. then do the big 3.. run a wire from the - on the front batt to a ground on the chassis ( keep it close ), run a wire from the terminal on the alt to the + on the front batt. run a wire from the engine ( normally the bolt holding the alt to the motor ) to the - on the front batt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Alright...well I already have the big three done. So then all I have to do is hook the 4 gauge power to the positive on the trunk battery and then my ground to the trunk battery and it is set up?

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

Audioque Hd3, 15Thang USA

Post Number: 898
save ur money and go big and then go home :-)

Gold Member
Username: Alias747

Eclipse Ti, MN

Post Number: 1928
I would freak out if there was a bat in my trunk! :P

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Haha...It would be a little wierd to have a bat in the trunk. But anyway bump to make sure I understand correctly.
So then all I have to do is hook the 4 gauge power to the positive on the trunk battery and then my ground to the trunk battery and it is set up?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 290
Extra batteries will NOT help you if your alternator is inadaquate.

Read:
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm

Quote from Bcae1:
" As long as the engine is running, all of the power for the accessories is delivered by the alternator. The battery is actually a load on the charging system. The only time that the battery would supply power with the engine running is when the current capacity of the alternator is exceeded or when engine is at a very low idle. "

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
Bumpin it again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Alright. Well I have looked at Knukonceptz alternators and they have a 200 amp alternator for 240$. Has anyone heard anything about their alternators?

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

You aint bangin unless..., Il

Post Number: 870
thats correct and yes it does help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us