Alt voltage question

Silver Member
Username: Hockeyknight

Post Number: 778
k soo my alt is about to die and my mom decided to be really nice and pay for a ho alt to replace my stock alt she will pay for a 240a but i gotta pay the diff if i want the 300a and i dont wanna buy any batts becaus the alt is free and i dont have the $$$ for batts....my question is will a 300a give me higher sustained volts than a 240a???? ex. w/ 240a i will have 14v or with a 300a i will have 15-16v???? sry if this is kinda a stupid question but a cars charging system is one of my week spots....

Silver Member

Post Number: 779
forgot to add im looking to run an orion 2500 for now and sooner or later up it to a memphis 4k

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11371
so fu#king lazy..do a search

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 10163
feeling lazy myself.

jk.

just because you get a higher amp alt doesn't mean it will be give you higher voltage like 16v. the 300a will give you more juice to your amp then the 240 will.

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh fiiiiinnneeeeeeeee..................... i am rediculusly lazy tho so if anyone wants to drop a few words of wisdom on here wile i go out into the world wide web looking for answers to my life questions than feel free to

Silver Member

Post Number: 781
thanks chad!!! so how do i up the voltage??? is it even possible to do easily??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10167
all alts produce 14+ volts. its just if you have a powerful amp that voltage will drop. that is why you get a higher amp alt so it maintains the voltage. even after you get a ho alt, i suggest you get another battery in the trunk. since you will only be running 2500wrms, you can get away with one extra battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
but i need a new alt and the alt would basically be free.....i would have to pay for a new battery........say i were to only get a 300a alt and no extra battery...what kind of voltage should i expect to see with that 2500??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10170
you will be good with the 300a alt. you voltage should be 14+. i am just saying in the future you shold consider it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
ya ill deffinatly pick one up in the near future i just wanna get my stuff in and i dont really have the $$$$ for it now...thanks for the help !!!!

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 278
Chad Lee is right again! Thanks for saving me typing time Chad.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2421
An extra battery will do no good unless 1.) your vehicle is off or 2.) Your current needs exceed the output of the HO alt. The reason for this is because the output voltage of the alt (15.1V) is higher than the max voltage of a 12v automotive battery (13.6V)and until this is overcome my excessive current draw provided by a mondo amp setup the extra battery will do nothing. For the people that say "well you need power to make power" well this is true and the amount of elec current needed for the windings can be provided my a lawn tractor battery. JMHO... Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2422
For a 4K system you will indeed need more batteries... :-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 784
ya but for now a 300a with a orion2500 should be fine

Silver Member

Post Number: 785
anyone have any ideas how many watts an orion 2500 will push at whatever voltage i will be getting (maybe 14v??) and at .85ohms?????

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 1584
i like peanut butter and jelly sandwitches!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10177
you would get more than 2500wrms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us