Whats the ebst in dash nav system

Silver Member
Username: Razzeldazzel06

Post Number: 210
im looking for a flip up nav screen.......whats the best out of calrion pioneer and alpine????

Silver Member
Username: Razzeldazzel06

Post Number: 211
anyone???

Username: Mista_chuck

Hueytown, AL United States

Post Number: 1
Well not because I have one, I believe the Avic-Z1 that pioneer makes is the best. Visit Pioneerelectronics.com and click on its accessories. The Avic-Z1 comes with a gracenote library for storing 10 gig of music, voice recoginition, maps built in, and 6 different maps. When I am driving with my navigation on 3d screen I can sometimes pick up 3d visuals of buildings. I paid $1539 for my Avic. It came with the universal wiring harness and I did not need mounting bracket. If you want one you must have a double din, or be willing to do some cutting, and be able to make the investment. Check out the website and buy from Sonicelectronix.com. There are on ebay as well. This is the best nav in my ears and eyes.

Username: Jmorton10

Post Number: 5
Well, I can't agree that the Pioneer Z1 is the best & I was all set to buy one. The Z1 has a LOT of awesome features, but even though the maps are beautiful the NAV function is so poor it is virtually unusable IMHO.

I have a neighbor that has the Z1 in his Infinity FX & we did some very extensive testing of the NAV function comparing it to a Garmin 2620 that my wife uses. That little $300 Garmin unit beat the Z1 hands down for planning intelligent routing. Unfortunately, The Z1 seems incapable of planning an intelligent route from point A to point B(at one point, the POS actually told us to make a U-Turn on a 4 lane highway).

I do a LOT of traveling, & have been using various NAV units extensively for a few years now so the NAV function is the most important feature to me. As it stands at this point, the Z1 is pretty much useless in this regard. I did a TON of research on various dbl DIN NAV units before making a purchase & an Avic message board confirmed what I am saying. There was a thread there with probably 200 responses complaining about how poor the NAV function is in all the Pioneer units.

Because of this, I ended up buying an Eclipse in dash NAV unit. The maps are not as pretty as the Pioneer, but they are FAR more complete/accurate & the NAV unit function is superb. Eclipse parent company is Fujitsu Ten which is owned by Toyota/Lexus & my unit is identical to some of the Lexus factory optional NAV units that Lexus charges $4000 for(I paid $930 for mine on ebay).

Pioneer is releasing a Z2 soon, & one of the new features listed is vastly improved NAV function. If this turns out to be true, I may sell my Eclipse & buy a Z2 as I love some of the Pioneer features. They will have to VASTLY improve the } function to put it in the same league as the Eclipse however, I will wait & watch the user reports to see if that is actually the case.

~John
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us