OT: Batter or Alternator problem?

Silver Member
Username: Ars88

P.I.M.P , Pakistani/In... United States

Post Number: 473
sups ppl
for some reason my car isnt started....when i get a boost it starts for about a minute and dies out...especially if i put it into drive it instantly turns off on me...could this be a batt or alt problem? or is my tranny thats goin bad?
i got a optima yellow top but i dont know what type of shape it is in...its been in the car before i bought it so i don't know wht history it carries (tho i can tell u that the idiot who had the car b4 had is amp kit hooked up straight to the battery w/o a fuse or anythin...it was live wire runnin)
wht ya think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 475
starting*

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 660
alternator, watch the voltage when u get it started, if its ur alt it should be all over the place, probably falling to around 12.1 volts and worse because ur battery is being owned

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3733
it might be your fuel pump not giving enough fuel to your car

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1444
prob not fuel pump if he needs a jump. my guess is alternator, but you cant be for sure unless you compare the voltage while the car is off and when it is running. When the car is running you should see an increase in voltage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 476
its possible it can be the fuel pump too guys coz my whole gas float is fugged up lol i have no clu how much gas i have in the car

but i had this car for about 2 months and now is the first time this happened

my bro drives this car but i havn't seen a battery gauge lmao its a 2000 impala
i guess in the mornin ima have to get it tested out and see the voltage is

word of advice - NEVER buy a car from police auction :-) all u get is problems

thx guys ill keep u posted tomorow on whts goin on
appreciate it

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1446
to test the fuel pump theory leave the jumper cables on your battery and on the vehicle that jumped you after you get your car running. if your car dies while it is still getting juice from the jumper cables then it could be your fuel pump. my best guess is alternator though.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3105
theres alot more stuff that would cause your car to stall then just the fuel pump or alt.

it sounds like its your alt and your computer isnt getting enough voltage to stay on so your car shuts off.

so test your voltage with the car on, off and stuff like that.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 288
Even if your alternator is shot the car should still run for quite a while until the battery is depleted. I have driven a car 20 miles with a bad alternator to the auto parts store and back.

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 234
i just had this same problem but sorta opposite of it in my 2000 cougar, i would start it up and stuff and the rpm's and stuff would like rev themselves to like 3 and then while it was in park, after like a minute the rpms would die down to like half and then the car woudl shut off, but when it's in drive or reverse or anything its fine, except when i'm at a light the rpm's and stuff will go back down adn i gotta rev it and stuff, i thought it was maybe alternator or battery, but the shop said it was something else (maybe sparkplugs), dont' ask me, i don't know much about cars

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
you see...when the car starts....none of the gauges seem to be working the only thing i can see is the security sign and the battery sign blinking

i nvr thought about the computer tho...now i think i got another possibiilty to check out...coz when i bought the car i needed to get it started and the only way to do that was to reprogram the ecm...so it could be possible that thats the problem (maybe the guy did a poor job?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us