Aeroport Box, confusion? Help?

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 378
Alright So First of all, I apologize for continuing on posting about boxes for the last...well too long... but my questions jump and sometimes don't get answered so i try and wait a few weeks and ask a new set of questions in a new thread. Sorry:-) Anywho, so now I understand since i only have 32x12x17 to get the box into the trunk. I have much more room in the trunk itself so i was suggested aeroports. I know very little so my question is how do i go about knowing the size of the aeroport as well as where to place it in the box. Thanks:-)

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

You aint bangin unless..., Il

Post Number: 834
they r probably wanting you to put them on the outside of the box. meaning u cut the holes for the ports then get the box in the trunk then hook on ur ports. this way it doesnt take up displacement in the box. + you can change tuning easier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
normally ppl do 4 4in aeros... and on the same side as the sub

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
so i just build a straight rectangle box, at 32x whatever and then leave wholes for 4 4 in ports and 2 10inch woofers? and thats it? that simple?

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
didnt bump, plus, how Long is the port? does that matteR?

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 506
Yes that does matter. The length of the port is determined by the size of the box and what you are planning on tuning it to.
http://www.psp-inc.com/psp-inc.com/cgi-bin/port_length_calculator.cgi
Here is a good calculator for flared ports.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
I must be a complete idiot, but when i put in, right around 3 cubic feet, then 32hz and then 4 4'inches, it says like 41 as the length, 41 what?! isnt that a lot?!

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
yes thats a lot.. but thats how long each of the ports have to b to make it 32 hz. u could tune higher to get shorter ports.

Silver Member

15 TC9 Hybrid, RE MT Softparts

Post Number: 554
Also if you are only going to have a box that is 3 cuft you prolly dont need to have 4 4" ports. You could get away with 3 probally. You could also do 4 3" ports and then they would be a lot shorter too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
are those in inches? 40 something inches? or 40 something what haha, 40 inches is HUGE

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
maybe i should just split up my two subs and put them in seperate boxes

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=18&Eh=17&Dia=4&Xmax=17&Vd= .12&NumW=1&Vb=1.5&Fb=32&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

What if i did 2 boxes like that: is that alright?

Seems like theres a really long port...is that normal for just one sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2431
You would not want an aero box tuned so low. Idea of an aero is to allow for higher amounts of air movement with minimal amount of turbulance/port noise. Now with that said, the lower the tuning the slower the air is traveling, hence the less need for aeros. If you want a low tuned box then go with a slot port, much more practical. if you want an aero box then go at least 38-41 hz on the tune, a bit easier to manage. Also one thing to remember, just by the shear shape of things, a round port naturally produces a wider array of frequencies, meaning it will be less peaky around its tune, will hit low and high so a higher tune would be beneficial. In my honest opinion, slot for a low tune and aeros for a mid-high tune box... Here is a pic of my aero which holds a 41hz tune, but peaks in car at around 38hz. The slot is a custom I am having built but with a single opening and it will be tuned to 35hz.. Polo. :-)

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3755
polo how much for the bike

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2435
:-O

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
So would it be better for me to build 2 slots, one for each sub.... or one aeroport tuned higher to fit both subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
What are you looking to get. Something really loud or something that gets really low??

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2437
Why not one LARGE slot for two subs? Build a common chamber with a single mondo slot like the box I posted. Polo..

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
I agree with Polo one large slot port and a common chamber box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Well, i did that origianally, but the box was to big to get INTO the car. I drive a 99 sable and the trunk is HUUUGE, but the space to get anything in the trunk is only 32x17x12. So now, my thinking was to either look at 2 individual slot port boxes or a aeroport, because i was thinking it would be better to build those, rather than a smaller cubic foot slot port box. Thoughts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 583
Ahh ic. I have a 97 sable. I understand where you are comming from. I had the same problem. Huge trunk stupid shaped opening. In that case I would just say just do 2 4 inch ports. Thats what I did for my box.
Here are some pics of my box.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
If you dont want the ports inside the box they could be external like in Polos pic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
If i tune the box to higher though....is it going to sound a lot less than if it would have been a slot port

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
^^^^Huh?? try and explain that again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
If i go with an areo port box, i have to tune it higher in order to make the ports small enough to fit inside the car. By going with a higher frequency am I going to loose some of the Boom and is box going to sound more like a ported enclosure? I want a SQL type box, so I would rather not go too high on the frequency. So if i go up with frequency on an areoport, is it going to sound like a higher frequency on a slot port?

Silver Member

Post Number: 599
Here are the port lengths if you have a 3 cuft box tuned to 35 hz.

Straight Length Port required 15.50
Flare Length Port required 16.50

If you have a box tuned to 35 hz I think it should do what you are asking out of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
alright so back to the origional question then, how do i go about building a box that has all of that. Whats straight vs. flare. Are those 4 4''? or 3 4'' or soemthing else?

SOrry, im a n00b when it comes to these

Silver Member

Post Number: 619
That would be 2 4 inch ports. You could just build 2 separate boxs that are 3 cuft and make the ports 15.5 or 16.5 inches depending flared or not and then just install them wherever you want them. Flared ports are easier to install so I would say get those. You can get them off parts express also canaan was selling them. Its cool everyone starts somewhere if you need something else keep asking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us