Subs in cold weather

Bronze Member
Username: Nkknutson

Post Number: 93
is it ok to run a sub and amp when it is really cold out. i live in Montana and it can get zero out in feb. so is it ok to have the system in during the cold months?

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 648
famous question of jan-feb

most replied answer: run it low volume for about 30 seconds and ur good.

second replied most: f[_]ck it, crank that sh!t

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 159
Electrical equipment is more efficient at lower temps. As your amp gets hot b/c you are blaring your music, it actually puts out less power. "warming up" your electronics actually negatively effects thier performance. Don't worry about the cold. Although I have heard about problems with motorized faceplates on HU's in cold weather..................

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover Grove, Murderapolis... We from the ...

Post Number: 321
i usually play my sub about 1-2 minutes at low volume, and then ur good

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 984
Be very careful when playing your subs in very cold weather.I've seen cones and surrounds crack even without being turned up too loud.The cold is very bad for plastic because it makes it so stiff,the same goes for surrounds being made out of foam or rubber or even a blend of the two .

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 650
spray ur amp down with co2 and freeze that b!tch up >:]

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 985
Oh and running very cold electronics isn't good period because when they heat up you have the risk of moisture forming because it's surrounded by cold and it has heat inside.Think of the windows in your house and how the form moisture on the pane inside or a glass of water with ice outside on a hot summer day,the glass will develop water on the outside of the glass and there's a possibility that the same type of effects can happen to your electronics.Nick you should have given this a little bit more thought.You are right though about electronics performing better cold but not always :-)

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1701
"i live in Montana and it can get zero out in feb"

you don't know cold my son, lol. Normal to be -30 here. I have never had any problems with the cold and equipment. CD player may be slow at first but after 2 mins it works perfectly. I even seen frost/ice/and lots of snow over equipment and no probs.

Username: Davidmtml

Post Number: 5
I'm from Montana too!! Where in MT u from Nate???? Nice weather we've been having lately tho huh...don't need to worry about cold at all.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 986
Why the hell would you have snow on your equipment?I'm sorry but I have to pull the Bu11shit card.

Bronze Member
Username: Nkknutson

Post Number: 94
bozeman. and ya it was 50 or so today and that is like it being a 90 down south for this time of year. love the warm weather and i can't wait for the summer!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2408
Colder it gets the less humidity in the air, fact. Reason for this is because the moisture freezes and falls to the ground. The reason why you get condensation inside your vehicle is from your own breath, which contains warm humid air and it recondenses on cold objects like the glass. Amps heating up will not condense, not enough moisture. Now it will cause LCD/plasma disoplays to slow down and it is more detrimental to them but you should really take care of your subs softparts. Polo..

PS- If you doubt the truth on dry winter air then ask yourself why are your hands and feet sooo dry, lol. ;)

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 990
My hands and feet sweat in the winter...because of the heat from wearing two pairs of socks and my hands sweat from wearing gloves.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2409
Ya but it is from you own moisture, lol. I can't work with gloves and the skin on my hands die turning them black and cracky looking. Also the reason for the condensation inside the house is due to internal humidity from toilets, showers, breathing, cooking, etc... Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3300
dry hands FTL...i gotta use a whole lotta lotion on my hands or else they are dry as hell

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9096
yup the cold dry air pulls the moisture right out of your skin, hense chapped lips in winter time. Chapped Lips FTMFL

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 2496
hey davfid where you at im from Great Falls

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1702
"Why the hell would you have snow on your equipment?I'm sorry but I have to pull the Bu11shit card."

Lets see shall we? Sub is in the trunk. Unlike other people, I like to be able to use my trunk too for grocies, tools, and anything else I need it for. I also keep my snow scrapper in the trunk. So when you take 70mph winds with heavy snow and 0 visibility, when you open the trunk, tell me how snow is not going to get in? Also in my old gf's car that I recently sold, the trunk was left open all night in a snow storm due to someone working on it earlier and forgeting to shut it (gf's dad). As a result, everything was snow. This was with the infinity sub and RF amp that I have kicking around. The amp rusted out a bit but still works pefectly. So there ya go, happy?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us