Built a box, 2 questions

Bronze Member
Username: Gibson5469

Post Number: 78
I built this box that Logan designed, http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=25&Eh=14&Dia=6&Xmax=14&Vd=.11&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=40&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0,

My friend isn't the greatest with the jig saw and the subwoofer hole is a little screwed up. One screw hole is right on the edge, and the other one has barely anything to grab. All the other ones are fine.

What I was thinking was get a new sheet of MDF cut to cover the front (up to the port) and recut the hole (in the same location as it is now). Should I do all of this or is it good enough?

And, what should I cover it with? I was linking adhesive backed "wood" flooring. Any ideas?

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 151
Wow, he does suck. Put a second baffle on the box and cut it right this time. Besides, a second baffle will give you less flex.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
So get an mdf sheet cut to fit this red outline? Should I worry about adding trim pieces around the port so it's not 3/4" lower than the front of the box will be?

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
This is what was listed under the specs for crutchfield:

Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 11 1/8

so that's the diameter of the whole I want to draw with the compass?

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1989
ya around the red line, but you can make it like 5 inches away from the port so that the port isnt affected.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
Ok, just didn't want it to look all goofy with part of it higher than the rest.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10618
{blush}....whoa - 1st timer im betting \clipart

yes i would advise u to put a new front baffle & honestly IMO if u did extend the port by 3/4' when u put that new baffle most harm it would do is drop ur tuning lower by a hz if so much ......

Platinum Member

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10619
....whoa - 1st timer im betting

yes i would advise u to put a new front baffle & honestly IMO if u did extend the port by 3/4' when u put that new baffle most harm it would do is drop ur tuning lower by a hz if so much which isnt really a bad thing.....

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 164
I have to agree with rovin.

Just cut a new baffle, attach it and re-cut the subwoofer and port opening.

3/4" isn't going to effect the port tuning by that much and you won't notice the difference anyways.

And, for the love of god, cut the subwoofer cutout alot cleaner. It's not rocket science to cut to the line with a jigsaw.

Gold Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1243
where are you located at phil?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Well I ended up leaving the crappy hole, and not adding a new front board. This won't be for good, just a few weeks until I am off from work again.

This thing hits sooo nice. I can't turn it up too high or everything in the track rattles (and you can hear it from the outside). I can even see the rear quarter panels flexing.

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10624
^^^is that contact paper u used ? - looks alot better now , u just nned to paint inside the port & ur good to go .....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Yea it's con-tact brand contact paper from home depot. I wish it was perfect, but we had a hard time getting it to stick on the edges. And the crappy subwoofer hole bothers me a little bit, but I didn't feel any air leaking out, so it should be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 3373
I don't want to describe what the first thing I ever built looked like. It is what it is, a beginning. Just remember to take your time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
Yea, you can probably tell this was rushed. I didn't cut anything but the holes for the sub and wire terminals. I had the guy at home depot cut all of it, and it was all off a little bit . With no table saw, doing this at home would have been damn near impossible.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 3377
Chad builds nices boxes on a limited supply of tools. You gotta LOVE it, and then you will impress even yourself. It wasn't really that bad, and it works right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
If it wasn't for the screwed up subwoofer hole I'd be happy with it haha. I'll probably make another box sometime in the near future. For all of $23 this is alot better spending a ton on a prefab sealed one.

Gold Member

Nj US

Post Number: 3379
Yup.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
what do you guys do to keep the box from sliding around?

who's this Chad you speak of? any pics of the boxes he has built?

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 165
Mr Kebo,

I'm located North of Philly, PA. Willow Grove to be exact.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 284
^^^^ wow I'm only about 20 miles north of there
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us