Amp(s) for 2 subs

Bronze Member
Username: Shaftofair

Post Number: 36
Well, I'm not sure how wiring subs using different types of wiring supplies them with power.

If you give a 2-ohm voice coil 1000w that's pretty straightforward, it gets 1000w. BUT if you put a 1000w at 1ohm amp with 2 2ohm voice coils in parallel do they each get 1000w or do they each get 500w?? If you put two .5 ohm voice coils to that same amp in series I think it makes more sense to me that they'd each get 500w, but I'm not sure about parallel.

Now that I'm done with those Q's here is what the thread is mainly about. I need to power 2 Quad 2-ohm voice coil subs and wondered if it's possible to power only 1-3 voice coils with a certain watt level or if it's possible to use multiple amps of the same model to power individual voice coils or what? Well anyway, I need to supply 4000w RMS to each sub or maybe even more to supply it the 8000w peak it's rated at. I'm not too sure what I need to do to supply each sub enough power. So if you wired 1 1000w at 2 ohm amp to each voice coil would it make a difference compared to one big amp supplying power to all voice coils?

How about putting 2 voice coils on each amp at 1-ohm? If that amp were to be rated 2000w at 1ohm would that give 1000w to each voice coil or would that give a total 4000w to the sub? I'm really confused at how this all works.

Bottom line is I need to supply 4000w to each of 2 subs and don't know what I need to do to do that at MAX (I mean ABSOLUTE MAX) sound quality. Would it make a difference in sound quality to "Strap" strappable amps together? From what I've seen I don't currently have a budget limit based on what I've seen in amps.

Thanks for helping straighten me out on this (and sorry for putting it in the sub forum, it's more active).

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11333
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Also its best to wire all the vc on a sub

btw: what kind of subs u got?

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 1538
bcae is also a good site to learn alot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Thanks, great link. I'll look at it.

It's for 2 15" TC Sounds LMS-5400s (I've seen they like a lot of power, usually twice, what they're rated), since you asked.

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 1541
very nice subs!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well, I've got to take off now, but I'll check back later.

I'll go over what I'm looking for though. I'm looking for the best SQ amps I can use to supply the power to these subs. From what I've read I've concluded it's possible to use separate amps for each voice coil and would guess this to be better SQ as I could use smaller more SQ geared amps for each voice coil, but I don't know what the best SQ 1000w, 2-ohm (1-ohm if an amp for every 2 VC's) amps there are??

Hopefully you've got some good recommendations and from what I've seen (Zapco 4KW etc.) I currently don't have a budget limit, so when I come back there should be some great SQ amps I can look at right? RIGHT?? Well, I'll leave that to you, thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Before I go to church, I'll tell you what I've seen. How would the audison 1.500 do if I strapped 2 together at 4000rms for each sub in terms of sound quality?? What about a Zapco 4kw for each one (2-ohm version), I'm not sure how that would do in terms of SQ though. Hopefully you guys can fill me in. Off to church we go!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I have to tell you I started looking at amps, then I started breathing heavily when I saw what people said about the Zapco c2k-4kw and I got so worked up I ordered one for each sub.

Maybe my wife won't notice the "small" dip in our bank account.

Well I hope it provides the defined SQ I'm looking for (at high volume now I guess) and now I know for sure the professional installers are going to have to mod my car to fit all that into my car with minimum space constraint. They also said they're going to use some specific venting design to vent the bass into the car from some "vents" right behind the back seat. I'll just have to wait and see what they mean, but at least they promised a job well done. I can't to wait for this stuff to arrive, I'm getting all loopy and excited! It's a good thing they're giving me a discount on the charging system upgrades or else I'd be out of money!

How loud do you think it'll get when I crank it? Do you think it'll sound good when cranked or sound like crap? Thanks and if I'm forgetting something that could improve or I need besides amps, subs, speakers, HU, charging system, and wiring then please alert me (professional install). Go Colts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
It didn't go up?? If it doesn't now I'll have to tell you where it is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I guess I should be asking what numbers it might hit even though it's a SQ setup??

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1083
You should get like a nice remote start or something with radio controls on it. Just a thought. Maybe some high-end interconnects and speaker wire? Just another thought.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
I'll probably have a remote start installed along with their best & biggest wire.

Seriously guys do you have any idea what I'll hit (and do you think I should use like a 600w McIntosh per voice coil instead? I already ordered one for each of my front components) ?

Seriously, what do you think I should do and what I'll hit?? Anyone have any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Anybody?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help