How much wire do i need?!?!

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 376
just lookin at wire, i need an idea of a good amount of wire to buy. im going to be running 3000 rms to my WMD's and i am getting a knukonceptz 0 ga kit but i need an idea of how much actual speaker wire to buy. i was thinking 8 ga? and the amp will be mounted on my box and i have two subs to wire, and ive never done an install before so i was wondering what a conservative amount (in ft) of spkr wire to buy so i dont have to reorder in the middle of my install?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3415
dont mount amp on box.
use as big as able to fit

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1488
At 3000 watts I would use 0 ga for everything. Dont install the amp on the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
i appreciate the help guys, but theres no need for anything really bigger than 10 ga fro speaker wire because its AC not DC, whereas ur power and ground are DC and deal with much heavier current loads. but how much speaker wire does it usually take to do a two sub setup, anybody?

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

You aint bangin unless..., Il

Post Number: 801
10-15ft? u can get more than u need.... it dont go bad lol + its always nice to have extra.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1490
Depends on where the amp is located in conjunction with the subs.

I am uncertain if you are asking for help, or justification of what you already have in mind. We gave you wire size recomendations to your inquiry. Your response is telling a few things. Either you dont know what you are talking about, or you dont like our advice.

At 3000 watts you will need 4 guage or bigger for power wire. Concidering that you may have other amps for components, I advised to go with 0 ga for everything because if you buy it by the foot, it may be cheaper than buying two separate amp kits.

Next time use google. It may help you find what you are looking for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
i was asking for help but just on the amount of wire needed. i have a 0 ga amp kit for my ground and power. but like i said before there is no reason to have anything bigger than 8 for speaker wire. i dont even know of a brand that sells it. 8 ga is the biggest ive found. ive read glass wolfs' article on wire size and it only reaffirms that you need nothing larger than 10 ga for speaker wire because it is AC not DC which is a much small er current load

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1214
well get 10ga. then. Or use sum 8ga. power and ground wire from a cheap amp kit as speaker wire, ive done that before.

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

You aint bangin unless..., Il

Post Number: 804
im doing that now.... 8 ga. i cant believe i used to use it as power wire lmfao

Gold Member
Username: Rvlacos

DD 3512 United States

Post Number: 1504
8awg speaker wire ftmfw!

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
i dont want to screw anything up or melt anything so just to make sure, am i right that you dont need anything bigger than 8 ga for speaker wire?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us