4 ch amp for 4 speakers

Username: Dietmtdew23

Post Number: 1
i am looking into getting a 4 ch amp for 4 speakers. they are alpine type s. 2 6.5" and 2 6x9. is this a good idea and any suggestions on how or what to do?

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 214
Sound to me like it would work. Though you might, depending on the install, find the type R's are a lil short on midbass. But thats just what Ive heard, guess if it sounds good to you , thas all that matters. . .. you running subs to or just the 4chns?

Post Number: 2
no they are type s speakers. yes i have another 2 channel kicker bridged to a 12" sony. but i was planning on using all four channels for the 4 speakers.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1175
this little bad boy would be about perfect
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16413

you'd also want some 4 ga wire and a 2 way fused distribution block to allow for the 2 amps.

Post Number: 3
id defintaly consider it, but would you recommend pushing these speakers? they are rated at 50 watts rms apiece, and the amp says that it will put out 40rms x 4spkrs. is it not a good idea to push your speakers or is it???

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1180
You mean is that too much power?? No not at all. Given the under-ratedness of Alpine amps it's probably right on the money. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to run 75-100w to those speakers. Just adjust the gain properly, set the high pass crossovers at a decent freq, and if you hear something strange - turn it down a little bit.

If you have a shred of common sense it's pretty hard to blow speakers.

Post Number: 5
yeah. i was asking if it was enough power, cause i want to push them to get all i can out of them. and what is the proper way to set gain??

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1181
the half a $ $ way is to put in a cd you like. Turn the HU up to about 3/4 volume, or the loudest point you would typically listen then turn the gain up until the subs start to sound bad - and back it off just a few degrees.

The right way is to get a digital multi-meter ($10-20 for a cheap one), download a 50hz 0db test tone (easily found)
burn it to cd.
use V=sqrt(power x resistance) to find your target voltage. Disconnect sub. Play cd on repeat. Turn hu to 3/4 volume or loudest you typically listen. Use dmm to measure voltage at amp terminals, adjust gain to target voltage

:D

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1182
amp terminals = speaker outputs

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1183
oops - forgot this was for full range speakers

process is the same, but you'd want to use a 1khz tone