Amp mounting question?

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Post Number: 147
i was wondering if it would be ok to mount an amp on the side of my sub box. would the vibrations from the sub hurt the amp? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hockeyknight

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 719
ehh i wouldnt...not a good idea but it depends on the amp and how loud ur sub is but if u have a choice dont

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 202
Quote from bcae1:
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

" Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.
REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

NOTE:
Mounting the amplifier on the enclosure also allows someone to steal BOTH your amps and speakers at the same time with no extra effort. It's bad enough to have one or the other stolen but losing amps and speakers (and anything else mounted to your speaker box) is really gonna suck. "

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Post Number: 149
i am getting an earthquake and class D putting out 2000watts. Im going to be using 1000rms at 2ohms and the amp has a heat sync and a cooling fan. Would here be a problem with putting it under my seat.

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 964
I always wondered about using rubber washers or something similar when attaching it to the box to kill vibration... haven't attempted it though

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10559
gr8 post there M.S.

i had to post the exact same thing on here many times b4 & just got tired of doing so

if only this damn forum had stickies this would be a must have info to put up .......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us