QUICK QUESTION: is it fine to run speaker wire beside power wire?

Bronze Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 73
I was wondering if speaker wire can pick up noise from power wire. I'm gonna run a nine.4 if it matters.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1848
Quick answer: Yes

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 201
^^ x2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
sweet thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
wait... you mean yes it can or yes its fine?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1164
it's fine

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1469
No its is not fine to run it next to power wires. It will cause unterference. The above posted yes answers were that it "WILL" cause interference.

So, no dont run them side by side.

Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 9
same reason its better to run rcas away from a power wire.its not a guarantee that running them together will causen oise in the line but it is a possibility

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 238
Yeah you definately don't want your power wires near your speaker wires. If you are forced into a situation where the wires HAVE to cross paths and you can't get around that, place one perpendicular (+) across the other and only once.

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 209
Some Jack Off ran the RCA's next to the power wire in my cousins car. And now he has noise and it WONT GO AWAY, its pretty damn loud and annoying. Hes Tried Everything, but he gotta to take it back to that dude to fix . . .. and who knows what hes gonna try to charge, or if he even will

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 250
LOL, you tell this guy yes, it's okay to run speaker wire next to the power wires???? WTF? That will cause interference like talikng on your cell phone next to a speaker.......BAD IDEA.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5905
It is really okay to run speaker wires along power wires. In theory it shouldn't be done, but in a car environment, you won't notice it. There was a debate on this before. Because the voltage is only 12.5v, it's not high enough to cause interference. 115v AC is another story.
Another myth, you CAN run RCAs on the same side as power wires. It won't pickup alternator noise. I've tested it myself.
Of course I wouldn't do it in my car, but it you had no choice, it can be done.
The common alternator noise that appear in the speakers are caused by DC voltage in RCA terminals, not by speaker wires picking up noise from power wires.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2953
^^^yes isaac you just made the point i wanted to.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1607
Isacc and Mat are right.. I've seen this been debated on here about a year ago and it wasnt pretty.

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 358
LMAO....ask a question and get diverging answers...CAM is probably thinking WTF!?

Listen to Isaac...never seen him steer anybody wrong (not that I pay that much attention)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
yeah wtf about sums it up... its not a big deal to run it a different way and im not sure if i can even fit em both the way i have the speaker wires. rca's n speaker wire run together is the same deal then?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 360
From my experience as long as you keep the power and the RCA's separate you shouldn't have any problem...I think a GOOD ground is more important

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1174
speaker wires are not an issue at all - never have been.

With power/rca there has been a long standing myth that the magnetic field created by power wires can induce audible noise in rca's. That's false as well. A lot of people still want to believe it, and will fight it to their death, but the fact of the matter is it just doesn't happen.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5923
I hope people will read this thread and put an end to the myth.
Next to tackle are batteries and caps.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2989
yeah i run my rcas on the opposite side jsut because its more convenitant but i did take a pair and run it right ontop of my power wire just to test the myth and i didnt pick up any extra noise

Username: Negative9

Post Number: 2
Power one side RCA's other side. I have never had any noise result from running speaker wire next to power but I have had problems with RCA's next to power. I now have triple sheild Monsters but I have used and heard the old grey basic Monster cable pick up noise to the point that we could move the cable back and fourth around the 4 gauge power wire and hear the change the closer we came to the power. Lots of ppl dont ground their RCA's. This will take most of the wine out of the line if not all without having to rerun the wires.

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1186
Brin - When you heard this noise -- was the car running? Was the stereo running? How loud was it playing.

FWIW - Shielded cables are useless in a car. Shields block high frequency radio wave interference, not magnetic field interference. RF "noise" is inaudible, even if it were present in a car we wouldn't be able to hear it.

Username: Negative9

Minneapolis, MN

Post Number: 6
Yes the car was running and the stereo was also playing. It was picking up whine from the alternator. When we revved up the engine it got louder and worse. This happend at any volume. As soon as we moved the RCA's as far away from the power as we could the whine was gone. We tested this in the trunk and up by the head unit. Both places we were able to draw whine from the power into the RCA's just by waving them around the power cable. This is not the only time I have seen this either. Multiple vehicles that I have worked on and have had come to me to fix the problem of an install gone wrong. Some times we have had to change the route of the power under the hood to escape going to close to the alternator. Someone needs to build an alternator shield.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10613
even though its more work here is what i do in my own car :

speaker wires ran on both sides
power wire on 1 side of tranmission tunnel
rcas on other side of tranmission tunnel
& remote wire on the top of tranmission tunnel

this way each is separated & no where near as the other - never had any noise issue........
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us