Subwoofer Chattering

Username: Jimmy4

Post Number: 1
I recently put a JL 10w6v2 in my Jeep in a sealed enclosure. I love the sub but at certain frequencies and at a high level the sub extends completely and chatters and sounds terrible. I know I am not overpowering this sub because I am pushing it with a 400w mono Alpine at 2ohms and its rated for up to 500w.

Is this a volume issue? I have read about polyfill and was thinking of filling my box with it to see if it slows down the waves and stops that damn chatter. Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3324
chatter???
does it by sum chance sound like metal hitting metal?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2389
It is hitting the backplate, you are really gonna fck it up, lol. Chances are you are running to much BB or the sealed enclosure is too big. For that sub I would say .5cf-1cf max enclosure sealed. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Oneracistguy

TWO EGG, FL USA

Post Number: 215
yea its bottoming out and that will kill it quick

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1845
"400w mono Alpine at 2ohms and its rated for up to 500w. "

the w6 12 is only rated for 400wrms, so i doubt the 10 is more.
Cut the bass boost. or set the gains lower. Sounds like its bottoming out.
My 12 W6 does that when I feed it like 800wrms, and play certain songs like latenight tip, and some 36 songs.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1213
to much power or to big a box... results of it can be deadly!!!....

Rip combing to pieces...
Smash voice coil....
Burn out VC...
list goes on..

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3532
and on on on........

Post Number: 2
Its not like a metal to metal sound, but it does occur when the speaker is fully extended. Here is the deal... i have a stealthbox that originaly calls for the w3. I blew the w3 and wanted to try and upgrade but keep my stealthbox but the w3 is 6in deep and the w6 is 7in deep. I built a ring that is 1.25in in depth to act as a spacer to set the sub out so the volume requirements would be close and it would actually fit into the box. I had a little bit of an air leak that I fixed and now that I have I am pretty sure that chatter (not real sure how to describe the sound) is a little worse. It even happens at low levels now at certain frequencys. I poked around a little and what I gathered is that I didn't have enough volume in my box to account for the new speaker. Someone else described a noise that kinda resembled my problem and everyones answer was not enough volume in the box. I think I am going to try the polyfill and see what happens but if this helps exlain things a little please let me know any opinions.

Post Number: 3
Im gonna take it out tonight, anything I should look for? Will I be able to see any marks if it is indeed hitting the backplate?

Post Number: 4
The 10w6 calls for 0.625cf of volume and so did the 10w3 that originally came in the stealthbox. However, the 10w3's driver displacement is .05cf and the 10w6's driver displacement is .068cf. I figured by me building that 1.25" ring as a spacer would allow the sub to fit in the box and make up for that difference in the driver displacement to still meet the volume requirements. Do you think that ring made THAT much volume difference? We aren't talking a huge difference in volume here, isn't there a decent amount of range allowed?

Im only learning about this stuff so bear with me but Im freakin out...I really don't want to ruin that sub or have to go back to the 10w3!! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Snarl2004

Post Number: 152
wut kind of box is it in.
wuts the volume of the box.
wuts the recomended volume for the w3 and w6.

Post Number: 5
Look at the post above yours,it should tell you what you need to know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us