My Transmission Line for SSX 15

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 592
I finally did it.. I designed my Transmission line box. Now I cant wait to try it out... What do you guys think? Opinions greatly appreciated!

Upload

Silver Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 594
tuned to 35 hz, i bet it will get really low..

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 227
pretty tight...that looks like one big port

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 9825
looks good alex.

so you decided to keep your ssx?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3162
that looks real fresh

Silver Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 595
yea im just gona keep it... since i got 2 ill use the other as a back up..lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 9829
thats awesome alex. good luck with your box. i hope it sounds as good as it is going to look.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3321
i thought t-lines cant be tuned?
pardon my ignorance, nice dude

Gold Member

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3322
btw did u find out the formula?
post it up

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Atomic ...

Post Number: 10552
if u did that with some sort of precise box builder/calculator programme then go 4 it & let us know ....

Bronze Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 70
yeah ive been looking for a formula/free program for like 4 hours

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1207
Looks nice, so whats the difference between a regular ported box and this? better SQ from a ported box?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Sit and Look pretty

Post Number: 3509
danb it looks really good dont mind if you design a box for me ?????

Silver Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 596
www.deafbyaudio.org

I charge to design boxes for people. Knowledge is money, so if you want one, I'll draw you one out. I know how to do T-Boxes and True Transmission lines. Horns are also part of what I do.

www.deafbyaudio.org, just check it out

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 968
great looking design. now lets see the real thing and a review

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1602
how much port area you got??
and is that 7.9 ft of port length??

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1604
bump

Silver Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 597
actually i shortened the port because bends in the port causes lower tuning. so its 7.5 feet of port.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3728
hmmm. for TLs dont you calculate the full length needed by measuring from side to side not just the length of the port walls? like this...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Troy81

Tavernier, Fl Us

Post Number: 1451
alex you need to talk to me.... now

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1605
Trevor i was confused also when i read that tutorial.. if you find out let me know!

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3731
bump

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 150
Transmission Line enclosure's are not that big a deal to design and build once you understand the principals behind what ya need to know to desing them.

The problem with tranny line boxes is that there fr!ggin huge and won't fit in most vehicles, unless you drive a SUV or Van.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3739
yeah. so your saying you understand them very well? i just want to get my last two things straight about them and I'm good to go, i can build anything. one is the measuring... do you measure down the center? that would be the same length as if it were straght, makes sense to me. is that correct? Next, polyfil. what percentage of the length can you take off by stuffing it with polyfil?

thanks!

Gold Member

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3354
you do measure down the middle and id like to know the polyfill thing as well

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Yes, you measure down the center.

Polyfil, by stuffing the box with that your basically cutting/knocking back the frequency wavelength at which the entire tranny line will resonant at.

What your talking about is how much polyfill is required proportional to decreasing the lenght of the line itself and it that regard, that's more a trial and error thing because event the guru's of tranny line enclosure designing wouldn't know that answer.

Silver Member

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 598
hehe you would think that i posted my exact dimensions... ha not! i posted some made up dimensions, that just how its going to look.. i dont want ne one copying my design cuz it took me hours to create my T line. but ill design one for people for 30 bucks for blueprints

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3743
well you coulda just not put the dimensions lol
and its not like many of us cant do it now ;). jus remember to set your boost at 35hz.

Phil, 'preciate the explaination. thanks alot. do you ahve any experience stuffing t-lines yourself? If so im curious on how it turned out. for example: did you take off 20% of length and fill 1 lb per cuft... or what? Are T-lines pretty forgiving? they seem to be. as long as the craftsmanship is good it seems that even if you are off mathematically by a little you can make up for it with a little bass boost adjustments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
I've only built a few t-lines and they were for customers, what they after they were delivered as to what the lined or stuffed I would rather no speculate.

Oh and just to let the cat out of bag since Alex seems to think designing t-lines is some sort of top secret formula, this is how designing T-lines was explained to me by another speaker cabinet designer/maker.

Formula for calculating a transmissions line enclosure

13,752 ( speed of sound in inches per second )

31.2 ( FS of subwoofer )

13,572 ÷ 31.2 = 435 ÷ 4 = 108.75 (Length of Transmission line port is/ and /or SD of subwoofer)

The SD of subwoofer is what the Port Area ( Port Opening ) for the transmission line port.

For ever turn the port needs you subtract the diameter of the subwoofer.

90 degree turn - subtract 6 inches ( half the diameter of sub ) from lenght of port

180 degree turn - subtract 12 inches ( Full diameter of sub ) from length of port

A transmission line enclosure you are tuning the port to the fs of the subwoofer.
In a transmission line enclosure, the port opening on the interior of the enclosure is at the port where the subwoofer is attached to the front baffle.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3747
yes that is basically the same way i am calculating too. i just use 1130 feet per second. i havent heard the subtract a length every turn though. is that because it takes the sound wave longer to get out of the box with a turn?
also do you mean like this....
say for example a sub needs a 10ft long port with 2 180 degree turns. do you first subtract 24 inches (being a 12 inch sub) and then make a port that is 8 ft measured down the middle... or do you measure down the middle, and when a turn comes, count that as 12 inches, and then start measuring again after that turn... do you understand what im saying? i probably didnt say that all too clear.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3750
one more thing phil. can the sub and port be placed anywhere? meanind sub and port on same side. sub up, port back. sub downfiring, port firing up. it doesnt matter correct?

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
Trevor,

Yes, the sub/port can be where ever just as long as the design is correct as to the math.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9879
damn i wish i had the space for a t line. if i did i wouldn't mind doing one for one of my btl.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us